Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, what I'm personally going to do is put down my own opinion on upgrading the sound system. I hope others do so also in this thread:

1. Leave Factory Tweeters the way they are
2. Replace Factory Speakers with more upgraded speakers(preferably 3 way) that can reach low to high frequencies preferably 30hz - (30,000-40,000hz) and with RMS wattage at 40 - 100w.
3. Amplify your speakers with 4 channel amp, so all 4 speakers get higher wattage.
4. Don't change factory deck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is exactly what I want to do when I get my 3.... now if somebody does this, or has done this... please post a tutorial for the rest of us noobs :lol:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
that sounds good too....add subs and what vraidiouf said too...but i think i would want to change the factory deck ....but damn haha...that gets tricky..

·
Registered
163 Posts
ok, there have been a couple of other posts on this topic of changing the stock HU, or replacing it with an aftermarket deck.

Basically, if you want to improve the sound quality, you're going to have to either change the HU, or add a pre-amp EQ. Personally, Im gonna go with my aftermarket HU, but there are others who differ in their opinion.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
but going with an aftermarket hu...would you hav to sacrifice your indash 6 disc changer?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Yes sir.

Custom faceplate, here bee comes.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I would do a write up on a custom faceplate too... but i dont have the dough to spend on a video HU.

I may just keep the stock HU... looks good.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, I see so there are no preouts on the factory deck to add amps huh? hmm well I want to get the mp3 player personally if they have it, but if they don't, I might have to buy an aftermarket mp3 player. The problem is, I don't want anyone breaking into my Mazda3 lol, these are such great cars.

·
Registered
302 Posts
So far the plans right now for my audio options are going to be:

Change out the speakers, to probably some focal components add 1 10" sub in the back where the jack currently is...currently working on the fiberglass right now, it should be done in about a week. Add a line in input, install my car pc in the glove box, and add my lcd in the piece where the nav usually would go(still working on attempting to procure one of these pieces w/out the factory screen).

- Phil

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had focal components installed, 2 amps and a 12" type R, im just waiting for some nice weather so i can put up some pics! (im running from the stock deck and it sounds great to me :) ) ive got LOTS of rattles though, im working on getting them out but im not too sure how to go at it. My old car was an 86 volvo so it was solid and didn't have the rattles, any suggestions on how to stop them? i bought some CAE sound deadening sheets but that is just as a test to see if they work, any suggestions will be great, and ill have pics up soon

·
Registered
315 Posts
Fuel90 said:
I had focal components installed, 2 amps and a 12" type R, im just waiting for some nice weather so i can put up some pics! (im running from the stock deck and it sounds great to me :) ) ive got LOTS of rattles though, im working on getting them out but im not too sure how to go at it. My old car was an 86 volvo so it was solid and didn't have the rattles, any suggestions on how to stop them? i bought some CAE sound deadening sheets but that is just as a test to see if they work, any suggestions will be great, and ill have pics up soon
Fuel, are the rattles from the sub? I would line the trunk with a layer or two of sound deadener. If you need some ideas of how to do this, I can dig up some links. And good luck with installing the sheets. The trunk didn't look like fun to install stuff into on my test drive yesterday!

PS- Upgrade the subs to meet the performance of the Focals ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
VraiDiouf said:
Well, what I'm personally going to do is put down my own opinion on upgrading the sound system. I hope others do so also in this thread:

2. Replace Factory Speakers with more upgraded speakers(preferably 3 way) that can reach low to high frequencies preferably 30hz - (30,000-40,000hz) and with RMS wattage at 40 - 100w.
3. Amplify your speakers with 4 channel amp, so all 4 speakers get higher wattage.
Info for #2... the human ear can generally hear only from 20-20,000Hz. No use in searching far and wide for a speaker that goes to 30 or 40kHz. You'll also never find a 3-way coax speaker that would work for the entire audio spectrum. The best suggestion is to get a pair of component speakers. They'll play higher and lower and will make a world of difference.

Info for #3... I wouldn't power the factory speakers with an amp. Factory speakers, in general, can handle up to about 20 watts and that's about it. I don't know exactly what the M3 speakers can handle, but not worth it to spend the money on an amp just to possibly blow up the speakers :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bknauss said:
VraiDiouf said:

Info for #2... the human ear can generally hear only from 20-20,000Hz. No use in searching far and wide for a speaker that goes to 30 or 40kHz. You'll also never find a 3-way coax speaker that would work for the entire audio spectrum. The best suggestion is to get a pair of component speakers. They'll play higher and lower and will make a world of difference.

Info for #3... I wouldn't power the factory speakers with an amp. Factory speakers, in general, can handle up to about 20 watts and that's about it. I don't know exactly what the M3 speakers can handle, but not worth it to spend the money on an amp just to possibly blow up the speakers :)

I didn't say power the factory speakers, I said replace the factory speakers and get newer 3 way speakers and amp them with a 4 channel amp. In addition, there are various 6 x 9 speakers, 6.5" speakers, and 5 x 7 speakers that can produce low frequencies and high frequencies. MBQuart has a bunch, same as other high end aftermarket speakers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts