Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am definatley not taking out my stock deck anytime soon, its too much of a hassle and it looks pretty clean

so my idea was to put a dvd player in the glove box and a screen where the ashtray and lighter is (and whereever else someone wants to put theirs)

but...i want the dvd player to run the sound over the 6 (8 plus my subs) speakers, but i want to radio to work too...

i was thinking....splice the dvd player outputs right after the wiring harness from the stock deck.

maybe throw a switch near my dimmer switch for the dvd player to shut it off fom the drivers side.

how feasable is this idea?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i just re read this...
im saying the two will never be on at the same time...that would sound bad.
lol
very very bad.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
or you could either a) buy the iPod hookup, buy a converter from the headphone jack to 2 RCA jacks, or just splice into the AUX wires in the back of the radio, and run those to the RCA cables of the DVD player.

the best place for a screen is either where the radio is, or a flip up screen right above your hazard button and the vents.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
why don't you just get an auxmod unit if you're gonna keep your stock radio? If you go aftermarket just find something with inputs.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
[quote author=ak47clown link=topic=66283.msg1136847#msg1136847 date=1168147286]
why don't you just get an auxmod unit if you're gonna keep your stock radio? If you go aftermarket just find something with inputs.
[/quote]

+1

if you go aftermarket it'll have RCA plugs already in the back off it for the DVD player to plug into anyways.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
auxmod?

so get a dvd player that has a hookup to my AUX home thing in the center console?

they have those??
because it would be grand.

there is a guy on cardomain with the screen where i said and it looks great.

i just got a jo abd i dont have to pay for college (good ACT scores)
and i dont have to pay rent (live with parents for a while)

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
auxmod is the iPod hookup cable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont want to get an aftermarket deck, just a DVD player..hopefully a nice one so i play music vids while i drive.

ok...so i can get a dvd player that makes the sound go to the car speakers and displays to whatever screen i hook up?

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
you can buy any dvd player you want. it'll work fine sound wise.

i think the pain will be getting power to it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not really...
i'll run another wire next to my amp wire and stop it in the glove box with another inline fuse.

that should work...right?
power dist. block...fuse...dvd player...wiring will be fun (sarcasm) but other than that...it'll be a blast...
then i just have to get a screen and wire it whereever i want

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
well, i'm pretty sure a DVD player needs a different power supply than 12v.

i'm pretty sure it needs a converter of some type. it needs AC power or DC i dont even know, but i'm pretty sure the plug in your wall at home is a lot different than just hooking it up to your car battery.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im getting a car specific dvd player lol.

i have a 2000 excursion limited with a dvd player in it.
i think it hooks right up to the cars power supply...if not i bet i can throw a converter in with it (or even right above the footspace on the passenger side)..

·
Registered
410 Posts
Most of the little portable DVD players come with a cigarette lighter plug. Run a 12V cigarette outlet to your glove box and plug the DVD player into it. Take the audio left and right out from the DVD player and plug them into an auxmod or similar device so that you can hear the audio through your stock stereo. Take the video output from your DVD player and plug it into your auxiliary screen. presto.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
he's got the idea!

where is a wiring diagram for the stock deck?
im about to wire my line output converter to the rear speakers, just behind the deck.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
[quote author=Retrax link=topic=66283.msg1137349#msg1137349 date=1168193699]
Most of the little portable DVD players come with a cigarette lighter plug. Run a 12V cigarette outlet to your glove box and plug the DVD player into it. Take the audio left and right out from the DVD player and plug them into an auxmod or similar device so that you can hear the audio through your stock stereo. Take the video output from your DVD player and plug it into your auxiliary screen. presto.
[/quote]

this is tight and i actually like this idea! but the hard part (or pricey) would be to make the screen look stock in that ashtray area... :/ but possible. tight, this is cool. yo! lol jp. but nice. i like it. i know i complemented it like 500 times but first time i seen someone spill it out, good for us noobs

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
a portable DVD player is going to be much much more than just a small home DVD player. I saw a mini home dvd player for 30$, and portable ones for as cheap as 150$. Your choice.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
oh. i kinda had in mind a little regular dvd player. guess didnt know or didnt think of what kind of dvd player he was talking about.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
you could totally just make a hole in your car somewhere, and buy a portable DVD player with a screen and have the screen hanging out.

:lol:

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
lol.... okzy.... have fun making that look stock. but what you could do it

put that folding portable dvd player, like the screen is at the regular ashtray place, have a fiberglass black around it to look stock, and cut up the cupholder area and have the bottom of the dvd player sit there, and put black fiberglassed thing on top of that to look stock, but cut it to allow the dvd player load DvD cover thing to come up and make that look stock.

would be a tight idea. like wow your cd player is in regular place but your dvd player is near the cup holder? and you could make it all look stock, but it runs totally off a remote. and plugged into the car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts