Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Like that, but to be precise I got the idea while watching Battlestar Galactica, their CX-4 storms with the red coated scope lens are sexy.

Maybe red-out tint would do it, or maybe red out tint with orange tint over it?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
might be illegal.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
You could try out the look easily with some red gels for stage lighting, then if you like it you should probably get a thinner overlay to put on more permanently.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=137502.msg2965483#msg2965483 date=1235759500]
Check it out: http://www.rosco.com/us/index.asp
[/quote]

Thanks thats pretty cool. Might be more than I am looking for right now, I dont really have to worry about heat resistance lol, my mirrors are not even heated :p

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=Chefsp0t link=topic=137502.msg2980108#msg2980108 date=1236409511]
Why not try some red headlight film? It would probably work okay. Lamin-x makes some in red.
[/quote]

When people tried the blue mirror film they couldn't use normal exterior film because it was thick enough it distorted the image in the mirror.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
[quote author=Chefsp0t link=topic=137502.msg2981212#msg2981212 date=1236488556]
Lamin-x is made for headlights so I don't think it would distort the image. You'd have to try it and see.
[/quote]

I don't think that just because it's made for headlights it won't distort the image in the mirror. Point being that if it's a thick film, it will distort the image and make it somewhat blurry. I would try the film that Alec posted.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=BoostThat3 link=topic=137502.msg2984924#msg2984924 date=1236664268]
[quote author=Chefsp0t link=topic=137502.msg2981212#msg2981212 date=1236488556]
Lamin-x is made for headlights so I don't think it would distort the image. You'd have to try it and see.
[/quote]

I don't think that just because it's made for headlights it won't distort the image in the mirror. Point being that if it's a thick film, it will distort the image and make it somewhat blurry. I would try the film that Alec posted.
[/quote]

Exactly. While the thicker film doesn't hinder light passing through it will make the image blurry. Since you don't look through the headlight lens it doesn't cause a problem, but since you need to see a clear picture in the mirror it does.

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
The acetate lighting gels I linked to are thick, but IIRC you can see clearly through them (it's been a few years since my techie days). Rosco will send you a free swatch book. If you want to get the exact look of those binocs You might need an additional coating, something slightly reflective. That could pose some problems for visibility though.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=137502.msg2985755#msg2985755 date=1236710725]
The acetate lighting gels I linked to are thick, but IIRC you can see clearly through them (it's been a few years since my techie days). Rosco will send you a free swatch book. If you want to get the exact look of those binocs You might need an additional coating, something slightly reflective. That could pose some problems for visibility though.
[/quote]

Agreed, I think it would be manageable but probably not a great idea. Interestingly, the very same day I made this thread, I caught an episode of How It's Made about none other than high grade binoculars. I had a pen and paper ready for the compounds/processes in the coating, but they were withheld as a 'company secret'!! :(

Appreciate all the feedback on this, I thought an idea as goofy as this would disappear quicker :p

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't know if these guys are legit or not, but Zer0id made a post (http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=138720.0) with this link:

http://www.rvinyl.com/wrapkits/vinyl/smokedtaillights.htm

They offer "Protective Film" and "Non-protective film". On the link posted above, it's only non-protective film and they have it in red. Seems to me that since it is non-protective, it is pretty thin, so maybe you won't get a blurred image in your mirrors. And since it is cheap for a roll ($5.99 for 24"x12"), you can go with trial-and-error and not worry about emptying out your wallet.

If you try this vinyl and get good results, let us know! I think it would look pretty cool, especially with my color theme.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
When I was looking for spray tint I went to a local hobby store which had translucent spray tint in a variety of colors including red. It wont be "irridium" looking though, more so just a red overlay. You have to apply it with an airbrush or some sort of spraying thingy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts