Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 784 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinkin about getting a cheap sport bike to drive to work on nice days and save on gas as i see it hitting $5 a gallon by the end of summer. i wanna spend at most $3k, but the cheaper the better. it doesn't have to be super fast, as i'm scared shitless of high powered motorcycles and will only drive 65 on the highway as i don't wanna die. does anyone here have any suggestions on what i should be looking for? and how difficult is the process to get a license for a bike? any heads up? thanks!!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol yes. i have heard far too many horror stories about people getting killed riding bikes. this isn't something i wanna do for shits and giggles. i just wanna get to and from work cheaply. so i need something that can go at least 75 comfortably and safely. i didn't really want a moped or anything like that :lol:

i can ride a bike just fine, it's just that i'm not in it to show off or do anything stupid. so i can handle something decent, i just don't wanna abuse it :wink:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I want a bike as well, but a 250 is just a joke. It's a little bigger than a dirt bike, but it's more for teenagers. I would start out with a 600 of some sort. I've been looking at CBR 600's for a few years, but I still don't know how to ride. I'm hoping this summer I can learn so I can buy a bike around winter time. You have plenty of choices from suzuki, yamaha, kawasaki, and honda with that size. You can also get a cruiser. I know they make a few of them for around $4000-5000.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn buttdart, that thing is awesome!! a 250 sounds like it's just my size. i think a 600 might be too much for what i'm looking for, and 65 mpg's is almost too good to be true!! good find man

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Spending money to save money is not the smartest financial move. How long will it take you to make up the difference in the bike (plus all added costs) versus continuing to fuel your Mazda and maybe having more economical driving habits?

Just a thought...

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have an 04 R6 and I love it, but im thinking about selling it. Im only getting around 34mpg. You have to realize that it doesnt save THAT much. You shift your car around 4000-4500 RPM and i shift my bike around 15,500RPM. A scooter is the way to go if you want to save some cash in gas mileage.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Take a riding course while you are at it, if you are nervous then you shouldn't be on a bike.

A lot of accidents happen because people in cars don't pay attention and hit you or cut you off. You need to be on the defensive ALL THE TIME, and assume the worst. Basically, ride like you are invisible and pretend people can't see you.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Be careful on ebay thought purchasing vehicles. It's difficult to go see it in person so I would request a video of him riding it around a parking lot and giving it some revs to make sure it sounds ok. I know ebay is a cheap(er) place to find used modes of transportation, but it's a good way to get hung out to dry as well. I wanted to purchase a 250 at one time, but I knew I would want to step up to a 600, becasue the 250 would get boring. Many people have told me a 600 is a good balance of speed and reliability. Many people in my area have 600's, but the 900's are more popular. You get bigger displacement and the bikes are generally a little more aggressive.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
[quote author=Boosted333 link=topic=116191.msg2429303#msg2429303 date=1214841224]
Take a riding course while you are at it, if you are nervous then you shouldn't be on a bike.

A lot of accidents happen because people in cars don't pay attention and hit you or cut you off. You need to be on the defensive ALL THE TIME, and assume the worst. Basically, ride like you are invisible and pretend people can't see you.
[/quote]

I'm hoping to do this this summer. They have one in town that is about $80-90 for a weekend. I need to learn how to ride very soon, because I've always wanted to ride a bike on the weekend with strangers.

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
you are looking to buy a bike to save money on gas...
but yet, you will have the mazda.

$3000 = 600 gallons = 15 000 miles at 25MPG

unless you drive 100 miles everyday, this is not going to do you any good.
you are loosing money on the car, and it will take you a lot of miles to actually save money.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I've always wanted a bike just to have one. If I can have some deals work this summer I'm thinking about selling my car at a really cheap price so I can buy a older civic and then have my bike. I'm tired of paying car payments and I still have 48 months left. I forgot how much these payments blow.

·
Registered
421 Posts
As long as you live in an area where it doesnt rain almost every day, and the weather is generally nice, then get the bike. In pittsburgh, there is ALWAYS a chance for rain, so i dont ride the bike as much as i should.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Also need to remember with current gas prices that bikes are going up in price as well. Those cheap bikes are now even more expensive.

1 - 20 of 784 Posts