Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am an idiot. I was attempting to install a bluetooth kit in my MS3. I was too cocky/lazy to disconnect the battery before making my connections. Besides, that's what fuses are for, right?

I'm still not sure how my HU got damaged, as I wasn't even working with anything that was directly connected to it at the time. I was connecting the speaker output of the Parrot box when one of the Parrot leads contacted one of the speaker terminals of my amp (which was on--I know, another stupid move :dur:). There was a loud pop and the music stopped. I thought if anything I had damaged my amp, but it still works fine using another source. My HU isn't putting out anything. If I turn it way up, I can hear faint music, but is it distorted and full of static. It's not a wiring problem, because I still get the nav voice OK. I guess the preamp section of the HU is toast. Is there no isolation between the input and output stages of an amp? How would a signal go back through the RCA connections to fry the HU?

Anyway, I'm not sure what I'll do next. There's probably no chance I can get any dealer to warranty my HU. Even if I pulled out the amp and sub and reinstalled all my Bose crap, it might be obvious, since I cut off the Bose connector under the seat and the spliced connections would be obvious. I sure as heck am not going to pay $600+ for a new HU. Used ones with Bose and piano black trim are practically non existant, and even if I found one I'd probably have to pay a couple hundred bucks, which is still more than I'd like to pay for a stock radio. I could think about going aftermarket, but I kept the stock HU for a reason. The GB DSS might be an option, but it would be easier to rationalize the purchase if I didn't have the factory NAV.

Do you think some electronics repair place could resurrect the Bose? I'm at a loss of what to do next. Either way my wife will be pissed if I have to spend $$$$ on a new HU.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Honestly, I'm interested in the DSS one myself. It looks pretty hot. I would personally be glad you toasted your Bose so now you have an excuse to buy something better.

It sounds like you wrecked something, that's for sure.

Have you tried unplugging the HU and letting it reset the memory? This could just be a software glitch.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just tried unplugging it for a while, hoping for a magic fix, but no luck.

I'd be a little more likely to get the DSS one if it had the piano black finish to match my dash.

Maybe once the GB goes through, there will be a bunch of people looking to dump off their Bose HUs for cheap???

G

·
hahaha the Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD

everyones getting it!

GOGO join the pioneer club! 430$ w/ free UPS shipping on ebay!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=140414.msg3028819#msg3028819 date=1238483908]
Good riddance! Time to upgrade :)
[/quote]

Quoted for truth!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=iiOxFAte link=topic=140414.msg3028768#msg3028768 date=1238478768]
[/quote]

Why go eBay? If I was shopping for one, I'd go Amazon. $399.25, free shipping.

·
Moderator of donks
32,022 Posts
[quote author=speeedbump link=topic=140414.msg3029622#msg3029622 date=1238525365]
[quote author=iiOxFAte link=topic=140414.msg3028768#msg3028768 date=1238478768]
[/quote]

Why go eBay? If I was shopping for one, I'd go Amazon. $399.25, free shipping.
[/quote]

Exactly what I did :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts