Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I am a NOOB to car audio in a very literal sense! I have never done any upgrades to my car stereos, yet I love music.. hmm ignorance is bliss I guess. Having said that if I am going in the wrong direction, ordering the wrong things, or ordering from the wrong people please let me know. Keep in mind I do need to order from companies that accept paypal..

Ok after getting my Grom Ipod Integration in, and not being happy with the functionality of it an the need to buy mounts, etc. to see readout.. not to mention it is acting up.... after searching and searching for an OEM style Navi System, I have concluded that my best option is to go with a Double Din Navigation CD Player. That way I don't have to buy all the different components I want its all there.
I found this the cheapest I have seen... http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=20189

Here come the questions...
1. This is the one with the really nice Ipod interface correct? All I really want is to play cds/ipod/navigation.. if it plays videos from my ipod
perfect (does it?) if it plays DVDs cool I don't think this model does.. I don't need DVD - this website is not very descriptive...
2. The Ipod connector - it lists Pioneer CD-IU200VM on the website.. reviews say this does not charge Ipod.. true? I only see that one on
the website.. - I have a 5th gen Ipod btw.
3. Using factory steering wheel controls. I can't find the adapter on there anyone know the # - says I need a Pioneer ND-G500 amplifier to
integrate into factory stereo.. true?
4. Love the dash panel on Crutchfield anywhere else you can get it or is it Crutchfield exclusive? Haven't decided on what I am going to do
about the top screen, but nice to have the option of a cubby if I want.

Is that all I need?:
Unit, Ipod connection, Steering Wheel adapter, DD dash mount

Any other recommendations?

lastly I would like to add some substance to the system with the speakers... I don't want a bunch of base, just nice clean sound. I was thinking of components up front - want aim-able tweeters... and then maybe a powered basetube or something for the rear. Or would I be better off getting an amp, 8", and components upfront? Might have to wait on all that but hopefully the new HU will spice up the system a bit.... thanks for your help!!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
You do know that this is NOT a DD head unit, right? Nor does it have a slot for CDs or DVDs. It is a surface mount unit like a portable GPS.

If this is indeed the unit you want, looks like it may be significantly cheaper at Sonic Electronix. Just saw that amazon has it for $199.

Edit I see you want a PayPal vendor, but for $200 surely you can borrow a credit card!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: I think I finally decided on the Pioneer AVIC-F500BT...... help before order

Yeah to me too lol thanks for the link too I have answered some of my questions and been able to find everything there.

Is the IPOD cord always $54?

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you shop around you can do a little better, for example you'll find it at Amazon for $40 shipped. Still seems overpriced for a cable, but a little better than $54.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: I think I finally decided on the Pioneer AVIC-F500BT...... help before order

OK well I found everything.. I think
electrawarehouse.com
Pioneer AVIC-F700BT - $399
Pioneer CD-IU230V - $44.99

www.sonicelectronix.com
PAC SWI-PS - $49.99
Scosche MA1540B / MA1540 - $14.99

total of $538.97 give or take as I don't know exact shipping from electrawarehouse... $9 when I went to do credit card, but wouldn't show me until the end with Paypal.
if I got it all at sonicelectronix.com it was $569... so anything else I need?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I knew I would forget something..

·
Registered
171 Posts
Some other minor install basic necessities. You'll need to make the connections between the wires on the HU and the harness. If you don't already have something, you might want some crimp-style butt connectors or the like, or you can go with solder and heat shrink. You'll want to have a few small zip-ties on hand to secure the wires for the bluetooth mic and GPS antenna.

If you've got spare cash, you might as well throw in a rear-view camera too :).

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

haha I thought about that, but I think I should spend that on an amp or the like...

already have a bunch of butt connectors and small zip-ties.... I am sending Sonicelectronix a low price guarantee form to see if they can match the prices on the other two items so I can get it all from the same place... hope so.

·
Registered
244 Posts

[quote author=beyondink link=topic=140051.msg3019324#msg3019324 date=1238100238]
haha I thought about that, but I think I should spend that on an amp or the like...

already have a bunch of butt connectors and small zip-ties.... I am sending Sonicelectronix a low price guarantee form to see if they can match the prices on the other two items so I can get it all from the same place... hope so.
[/quote]

You won't be dissapointed purchasing from that company, I had my doubts but I ordered my MTX 1200 watt amp from them and got a great deal, and pretty quick shipping (saved me over 300 dollars compared to the local circuit city). The only problem ive heard about from them is occasionally they will be out of stock on an item and try to get you to buy something else, usually more expensive, but they don't hassle you about giving your money back either.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well I remember when the commericials for that series of pioneer products came out, I was extremely impressed, unfortunately they are out of my price bracket.... but I have to say i've never heard anyone complain about a pioneer headunit... and the fact that its compatible with the PAC steering wheel control unit is great.. because you never realize how much you use them till they are gone. Ive been waitin for a free moment to get mine installed on my speed3 to my jvc headunit.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Check out dealextreme.com, if they have it it'll be like $6 shipped.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts