Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i took my car in to Galpin Mazda in southern CA to have the "Window Snap" issue fixed under warranty, and after I got it back, I've been noticing that when the weight of my car shifts from left to right, or right to left, or when i accelerate, and then let off the gas, that there's been an odd shifting sound under my car. Like a metal knock or pop or something, and it sounds like it's coming from both the front and back part of the suspension.

As far as I can tell, the car handles just fine, but is there something they might have done (either purposely or by accident- though i doubt by accident seeing as they were fixing the windows) or that could have happened while i had my car sitting at their service center that you can think could create that sound?

I've taken my car to Galpin 4 times now, and I've now had 3 bad experiences. I probably should have stopped using them a while ago, but now I definitely won't be going back to them. If they are creating warranty work for themselves, I won't be rewarding them with the revenue.

P.S. Oh, I should mention, my car is all stock

Thanks for any help anyone can offer

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don't get your car serviced at Galpin Mazda

I'm actually annoyed enough at this dealership to create a thread about them.

I've been to Galpin Mazda in the valley in southern CA 4 times- half for service, and half for warranty work. I had a bad experience 3 out of those 4 times. Yeah, I know, i probably should not have gone back after the first bad experience, but apparently I'm a slow learner.

My first service with them was fine- it took them like an hour or something.

My second service with them took almost 3 hours- they told me it would take 90 min, so i didn't bother getting a friend to pick me up and drop me off, so i just sat there for hours, every half hour, them saying it would be another 20 minutes.

I took my car in for warranty work- my car was making a sound which turned out to be just a missing piece of foam in the trunk, but they gave me a loaner. At 4:45, an hour and 15 minutes before the service center closed they called me to come pick up my car, or I would be billed for holding onto the rental car an extra day. I live near Beverly Hills, a good 45 minute drive away from Galpin in LA traffic at 5pm, so I had to drop everything I was doing and hurry over there.

This most recent time, I took my car in to fix the window snap issue under warranty. I had to go away on business, so I didn't take a rental car, I just left it there while I was gone. When I got back, I told them I wanted to pick it up after hours, and they said "no problem, we'll have the papers sent over to the dealer, they are open later." At around 8 that night, I bother a friend to take me to pick my car up, and after she's driven to my house to pick me up, I call just to make sure the papers are there, and sure enough, the dealer has no idea what I'm talking about. "No one sent any papers our way, you won't be able to pick your car up." Great. I just wasted a night, and a favor from a friend.

I go the next night, calling twice to make sure they have the papers this time. I pick up my car, and it's filthy, and has a scratch on it I've never seen before. But of course, i could never prove that to the dealer. The window issue, amazingly, is fixed, but now there is a very loud, very noticeable shifting of metal/popping sound coming from some part of my suspension when I shift the weight of my car in any way, that definitely wasn't there before I dropped off my car.

At this point, with all these bad experiences, I actually think that Galpin did something to my car so that they could get more warranty work. But I'm taking my car to a new dealership to fix this issue, and I'll probably be turning parts of this post into a strongly worded letter to Mazda Corporate.

GAHHH!!!

Okay, I feel a little better, thanks for reading my rant, and I hope this changes people's minds from going to Galpin if they've never been before but were thinking of going.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Re: Don't get your car serviced at Galpin Mazda

Yeah, I didn't like Galpin's sales dept and I also didn't like how I was treated when I called their service. I have no idea where to go for service because the closest besides Galpin is Galpin Valencia and Star in Glendale.

This confirms me not going to Galpin at all.

·
Registered
990 Posts

hmmmmmmm........i've never had a problem with galpin...... i bought my 1st 3 there, sales guy was really cool...the finance people were cool... i've gone there once for an oil change and to get my alarm remotes replaced, and they were always pretty cool....

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Why is it when a car is brought in for service and its returned, any problems that occur right away the dealer is accused of futzing with the car... Your car is a complex piece of machinery with thousands of moving parts. Even though close tolerences are used in manufacturing/assembling your car it is not perfect. Anything can/will fail at any time.
I highly doubt that a window repair will cause a problem with suspension. Set up a appt and get it checked. If youve had a bad experience with a specific dealer than go to a different dealer....

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Maybe they pimped your ride. LOL, sorry couldn't resist since Galpin where that show is filmed now.

Sounds like a swaybar issue maybe. You might check them out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=67695.msg1166662#msg1166662 date=1169658272]
I don't see why Galpin would purposely create "warranty" work because mechanics tend to like "Non-warranty" work.
[/quote]

As far as I understand it, Mazda pays Galpin for any warranty work they do, so it's revenue for Galpin either way

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
mechanics get paid less for warranty work. they hate doing it. thats what I understood when I worked at Toyota

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[quote author=TGM3 link=topic=67695.msg1166314#msg1166314 date=1169647217]
Why is it when a car is brought in for service and its returned, any problems that occur right away the dealer is accused of futzing with the car... Your car is a complex piece of machinery with thousands of moving parts. Even though close tolerences are used in manufacturing/assembling your car it is not perfect. Anything can/will fail at any time.
I highly doubt that a window repair will cause a problem with suspension. Set up a appt and get it checked. If youve had a bad experience with a specific dealer than go to a different dealer....
[/quote]

I agree, there are lots of moving parts that could fail at any time. I've had the car for about 2 years now, so that's about 750 days that something could have gone wrong. The chances that it was a coincidence that something went wrong with my car on the day I picked it up from the dealer is 1 in 750. Obviously, it's not outside the realm of possibility, but 1 in 750 is extremely slim. I know this is a rather simplistic calculation, but you see my point.

[quote author=blam link=topic=67695.msg1166819#msg1166819 date=1169662551]
mechanics get paid less for warranty work. they hate doing it. thats what I understood when I worked at Toyota
[/quote]

I don't know, maybe someone more familiar with how Mazda dealerships work could chime in, but I had heard that selling cars in the price range that Mazda sells them in have very low margins for the dealer- the real bread and butter comes from repair revenue. what % is warranty and what is non-warranty, I'm not sure.

But, since I posted this in suspension, I was hoping to hear from more people about what that sound could be. When I have time, I'm definitely going to put my car on some jack stands and look at the sway bars to see if they are tightened, etc.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
[quote author=blam link=topic=67695.msg1166819#msg1166819 date=1169662551]
[/quote]

this is true, when the do warranty work, they can only get a certain amount of hour, set by the mazda corp.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
My dealer loves warrenty work!
I live 54 miles from where i bought my car and they said, "Free loaner and a couple oil filters for any warrenty work that needs to be done"
Already went in once and they followed that promise :)

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
I think your method of calculation is wrong. 1 in 750 it is not. Considering that wear increases with both the age of the vehicle and the use, the chance that something would go wrong would increase with the age and use of the vehicle. Yes it might not be a high probability that it went wrong the specific day you picked it from the dealership, but guess what that is going to happen to some people. Maybe you are just one of those 'some people' that it happened to.

It does sound like it could be a sway bar problem. I doubt they put it up on a lift to work on the window, but if they did and screwed up how they placed it on the lift I guess there is some tiny chance the fugured up the suspension...but I have never seen that happen before. Any chance it is something bending and flexing in the door frame now which is creating the noise as the vehicle body flexes?
-Matt

·
Registered
1,326 Posts

I'm looking for dealers in the LA area and Galpin has come up quite a few times as being either great or horrible, so I'm not sure what to think in terms of sales or service :?

xeren is not the first to have beef with the service there. Anybody been to Thousand Oaks Mazda? Good/Bad?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
^ Bought my car there. Can't say anything about the service dept though. I plan on doing my first service check up there... even though it is 30-45 minutes away.

BTW, I heard a lot of bad things about TO Mazda/Subaru but I found them to be not bad, I guess they weren't really in competition with the BMW, Audi, etc. Still had a handful of MS6's on the lot.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Maybe I'll make TO Mazda my "test drive" dealer. I've always subscribed to the idea that it's a good idea to do a test drive at a dealer that you don't plan to by the car at.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Galpin service isn't that great. Scott (service manager) always made me feel like an idiot for bringing up any TSB I find online. "Don't believe everything you download". wtf....

TO Mazda/Subaru service people are a little nicer. We also went there a few times to test drive their ATX 3s. Their salesmen were friendly and not pushy like Dutch from Galpin (he's gone now), but they said they sell more Subarus.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I guess he forgot the "service" part :x

I'll go check out TO. It's a bit far, but what the heck. I wonder if they'll dish out a duel ms3 vs. sti test drive (I'd have to flash a wad o' cash for that to happen huh)

Alot of large dealers like Galpin can get away with not being as customer orientated BECAUSE of their rep, it's like you know it's going to be an ordeal prior to even walking in the door but the "...we sell the highest volume so if you want it, we got it" thing is tempting in a slimey Whalmart kinda way. I find myself starting to think like some of those sales guys, that's what is starting to bug me...you've got to play the game at dealers like this and I just don't dig it. I bought my previous car entirely online and it was the best experience yet but getting straight up quotes on a ms3 via email may be a bit tougher. Guess I'll see.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
[quote author=gwood link=topic=67695.msg1169889#msg1169889 date=1169797110]
I guess he forgot the "service" part :x

I'll go check out TO. It's a bit far, but what the heck. I wonder if they'll dish out a duel ms3 vs. sti test drive (I'd have to flash a wad o' cash for that to happen huh)

Alot of large dealers like Galpin can get away with not being as customer orientated BECAUSE of their rep, it's like you know it's going to be an ordeal prior to even walking in the door but the "...we sell the highest volume so if you want it, we got it" thing is tempting in a slimey Whalmart kinda way. I find myself starting to think like some of those sales guys, that's what is starting to bug me...you've got to play the game at dealers like this and I just don't dig it. I bought my previous car entirely online and it was the best experience yet but getting straight up quotes on a ms3 via email may be a bit tougher. Guess I'll see.
[/quote]

When I was shopping for the MS3 before just settling for the regular 3, I emailed Tustin Mazda. They gave me a straight up quote of $100 less than MSRP. I would have loved to have taken it, but then I know I'd feel guilty being 16 and owning that kind of a car. But you should see some of the cars driven at my school...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went in to galpin on sunday night to find out some pricing on a MS3 and the manager on duty seemed like a real jerk. Just felt like he totally blew me off when I even suggested something lower than MSRP. :?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts