Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I was reinstalling the power window cable/winding/spring mechanism on my inner door panel the dang thing popped out and came completely unwound :( I've been trying for a full hour to get it would again but I just can't seem to get it.

Has anyone else had this happen? if so - how did you fix it? Obviously I could go to the dealership but I would really rather do it at home...

Thanks.

-Jeff

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Hm.. thats a tough one. Usually when that happens I call them d.o.a :( I guess with enough patience you could use a flathead or something and respin it and try to push it back in, don't know how well it would function though

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually...

I unbolted the track mechanism from the glass and brought it inside to work on. I was able to fix it in about 15 seconds once I got inside. Very easy to do but you do have to take it OFF of the glass and out of the door to access everything.

In case this ever happens to anyone else ---

1. Carefully unbolt the glass window from the plastic track slider thing. Remove the track/cable/coil/everything assembly from the door. Lay a soft towel or something in the door and set the glass down on to it.

2. Locate the white molded plastic track piece on the BOTTOM of the track. NOT the one with the wheel. The other one. There's a small tab that locks this this piece on to the steel track. Press that tab and slide the white piece completely off of the metal track.

3. Put the springs in place on the white spring holders located on each end of the cable. Re-wind the spool/cable, insert the spool in to the spool housing, route the cables through their respective channels and temporarily bolt on the motor assembly to keep the spool in tact.

3. Make sure the white spring retainers are compressing the springs enough to recess themselves within the spool housing. At this point when ou pull on the cable you should see both springs beginning to compress as the white spring retainers slide deeper in to the spool housing.

4. Grab the white molded track piece that you earlier uncliped from the steel track. With a little bit of man power and elbow grease you should be able to pull on that white piece hard enough, compressing the springs, to clip it back in place. You've gotta pull pretty hard to get the springs compressed ALL of the way.

5. Clip the white molded track piece back in place on the steel track and you SHOULD be good to go.

I have to test mine and make sure but I'm 95% sure that mine's together correctly again. Really only took about 60 seconds to put on the springs, re-wind, bolt on the motor, and clip the white piece back in place.

I hope that helps someone in the future... ha.

-Jeff

·
Registered
396 Posts
congrats on getting it back together, I was very careful when I took my doors apart to avoid this, but again, congrats.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Too bad you couldn't have gotten pics woulda made a great write up :)
I'm worried this will happen when I take my door apart to dynamat so i'm bookmarking this

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah actually today I just covered mine with Stinger Road Kill (same thing, basically). It really shouldn't come apart if you're being careful. Just don't try to pull the white spool out of its housing :) it shouldn't fall out on its own.

Good luck with the dynamat!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
nice work getting it back together. putting a zip-tie around the assembly when you work on it next time can keep this from happening.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote author=automaticman link=topic=155179.msg3312124#msg3312124 date=1252139069]
nice work getting it back together. putting a zip-tie around the assembly when you work on it next time can keep this from happening.
[/quote]

Exactly. If you wrap a cable tie around it correctly the spool can't come out which is what I did. Unfortunately you have to take the cable tie OFF to install it on the door panel and that's when mine ended up popping out :(

But yes that's a good thing to mention - cable tie it while you're not working with it so it can't accidentally pop out.

·
Registered
396 Posts
duct tape works good as well

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
THIS THREAD SAVED MY ASSSS!!!!!!!, I know its old but I messed with my power window and the same thing happened to me, I tried for 3 HOURS!!!!!!! thanks MZ3 forums!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saves my ass as well!

Must have taken me almost an hour before i found this thread. My track seems to be getting loose causing the window to tilt. Thanks for the write up bro!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually...

I unbolted the track mechanism from the glass and brought it inside to work on. I was able to fix it in about 15 seconds once I got inside. Very easy to do but you do have to take it OFF of the glass and out of the door to access everything.

In case this ever happens to anyone else ---

1. Carefully unbolt the glass window from the plastic track slider thing. Remove the track/cable/coil/everything assembly from the door. Lay a soft towel or something in the door and set the glass down on to it.

2. Locate the white molded plastic track piece on the BOTTOM of the track. NOT the one with the wheel. The other one. There's a small tab that locks this this piece on to the steel track. Press that tab and slide the white piece completely off of the metal track.

3. Put the springs in place on the white spring holders located on each end of the cable. Re-wind the spool/cable, insert the spool in to the spool housing, route the cables through their respective channels and temporarily bolt on the motor assembly to keep the spool in tact.

3. Make sure the white spring retainers are compressing the springs enough to recess themselves within the spool housing. At this point when ou pull on the cable you should see both springs beginning to compress as the white spring retainers slide deeper in to the spool housing.

4. Grab the white molded track piece that you earlier uncliped from the steel track. With a little bit of man power and elbow grease you should be able to pull on that white piece hard enough, compressing the springs, to clip it back in place. You've gotta pull pretty hard to get the springs compressed ALL of the way.

5. Clip the white molded track piece back in place on the steel track and you SHOULD be good to go.

I have to test mine and make sure but I'm 95% sure that mine's together correctly again. Really only took about 60 seconds to put on the springs, re-wind, bolt on the motor, and clip the white piece back in place.

I hope that helps someone in the future... ha.

-Jeff
Hey Jeff, I was following your guide but could not identify the tab that I need to push on to release the bottom moulded plastic from the metal. Is it in the hole that is through the center of the piece or at the bottom, could you provide a picture?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts