Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today on my way to work in Brisbane, in the rain, I saw a brand new Blue SP23 Hatch on the back of a transporter. There was also a base model hatch in a beige colour, and also two sedans I think also in beige.

The one thing I noticed about the SP23 was the badge wasn't plain silver like some of the pics online. The SP was silver with pointed letters (like the toyota Sportivo logo), but the 23 was red with a silver outline. It looked very sporty though, and would look great on a black or white car.

Other than that I noticed the back lights looked great, black styled, though I was doing 100km/h trying to keeping up with the transporter to get a better look, then I had to turn off.

But they should be in showrooms soon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the badge is the same as in those pics, I just hadn't seen them before =)

As for the base model, I really dont know, I wasent looking very hard at it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Oh well, never mind. I can check it out at my local dealer when it arrives. Actually, this topic should be "I saw a truckload" :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, well yeah there were a good four of them on it. When I first saw it in the traffic (which was backed up because some chic had driven her car into the back of a landrover) I sort of did a double take, and just thought "Hey thats the new 3!!!"

But unfortunatly I won't be buying my SP23 for a few months yet, I don't have the cash. But I'll be taking a test drive ASAP =)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just drove past my local Mazda dealer at Kirrawee in Sydney. The actual dealership didnt seem to have any, but then I drove past their holding lot around the back and they had at least half a dozen 3's.

I didn't stop and get out cause it was raining, but from what I saw it seems only the SP23 has clear taillights, cause I saw a lot with red taillights including what looked like a Maxx Sport sedan.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I saw a lot with red taillights including what looked like a Maxx Sport sedan.
Well... I'm speechless... that's very disappointing, coz the Maxx Sports was what I was aiming for :x And Mazda did say that model was meant to appeal to a younger audience, so surely clear taillights would help immensely! Wonder how easy it is to get one of those clear lenses from the SP23 parts bin?

I could try and get used to the red taillights, I suppose.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Let me stress I don't have confirmation it was a Maxx Sport, I only did a drive by of the lot. But it did have alloys and what looked like a small lip spoiler, so I assumed Maxx Sport, it was at least a Maxx.

I would say only the SP23 will get the clear lights though, so buyers who decide to get the SP23 have their cars stand out from the lower models. Its also another incentive Mazda will use to get buyers to decide on an SP23 instead of a Maxx Sport.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking at maybe the Maxx Sport, but then for the extra you get with the SP23 and it only being an extra $4,000 I'm now pretty set on the SP23.

Plus at the end of the day, I know I would be much happier with it, and its got all the goods =)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yep the Max Sport still has Red Taillights

·
Registered
176 Posts
Spook said:
I saw a lot with red taillights including what looked like a Maxx Sport sedan.
Well... I'm speechless... that's very disappointing, coz the Maxx Sports was what I was aiming for :x And Mazda did say that model was meant to appeal to a younger audience, so surely clear taillights would help immensely! Wonder how easy it is to get one of those clear lenses from the SP23 parts bin?

I could try and get used to the red taillights, I suppose.
Would'nt be hard to get these at all with an Aus spec model having them
According to ozeparts.com.au the Mazda 6 ones are around $110. I could'nt imagine the 3 being dearer than these. Cheap Mod!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ahhh.. Nice to be back. However I’m disappointed with the lack of information on the 3. Nice to see you guys on the ball though (props to Spook;))

I went down to the dealer today (Sunday .. they are closed) and there are about six mazda3's sitting out the front (White, Sunlight Silver, Tit. Grey, Lava Orange, Velocity Red, Winning blue, and black mica (the only SP23)).

There was about a even split of neo's and maxx's, maybe one more maxx .. however there was no maxx sports there, and as I said just before, one SP23.

A few things I noticed.

•All the cars there, except the SP23, had red lens tail lights (imho, looked more pink – cheap and nasty).
•Red, orange and titanium all look stunning!
•The neo interior doesn’t look as bad as it does on the website, and the charcoal grey on the maxx appears to be similar to the US beige interior in texture (looks nice).
•None of the maxx's (or what i assume are maxx because of the interior) had steering wheel mounted audio controls (!!!).

(btw. There were no maxx sports)

Im quite disappointed with the maxx. There is nothing in the maxx which I think would improve my driving experience that much, and add to my perception of value. Alloys, a six stack, different fabric and audio controls (which weren’t on any of the maxx’s?! That just goes as another black mark) just don’t do it for me. Why spend the extra $2000 (over the neo with power and safety)? And in addition the alloys and the six stack were both options on the 323 (and the shades came with most of the power options) making my perceived value even less!

For me to be able to justify the extra $2000 mazda would need to add something like, cruse control, electroluminescent gauges, leather steering wheel, clear lens tail lights and trimmings.. Just those sort of things (you’ve probably read some of my, and others speculation in other threads.. ohh, and i didnt mean all of them, just one or two of them).

So yeah, so far I like titanium grey the best, however the wallet is having issues with the maxx, so hopefully I can get the dealer to explain to my wallet why it should spend the extra to get a maxx over a neo. Will also give both the manual and the auto a whirl I think.

(if I cant get him to give me some good reasons, id prefer to go a second hand SP20 over the neo I think.. so thats another good reason he'd have to give me)

·
Registered
22 Posts
In the West

I drove passed my local dealership on Friday night expecting to find some in the holding yard. Alas no, but they have cleared the lot obviously awaiting delivery. They are still sitting on the wharf in Freo - lots of them. Great way to see the external differences between the Neo, Maxx, Maxx Sports & SP23.

The SP23 looks HOT ! The only model with clear tail lights. All the colours looked great, however disappointed with the Tit Grey. The sunlight & sparkling silver looked the best. (for me anyway)

Can't wait to see the interior and take for a test drive.

Maxx Sport or SP23 for me.....

·
Registered
372 Posts
The red taillights actually doesn't look too bad... and I think the dealer may be convinced to order the clear ones from Parts if you really wanted them (or as Beef said, some other aftermarket manufacturer, or there's always e-bay).

Having looked at the spec sheets, I agree with comebacktomorrow re the Maxx. He's already mentioned all the diffs, plus the Maxx gets body coloured door handles and side protection mouldings at $1,700 extra. Confirm that only SP23 has wheel mounted audio controls. If you can live with a single CD and the grey trim, $2k can get you the 15" alloys or even 16" plus change!!

But IMO the Maxx Sport will be worth the extra, given the 16" alloys, side skirts, rear spoiler and fog lamps, and I really like the dark trim. For me, the decision looks like either a Neo with power/safety packs and I'll option the alloys, or dig really deep for the Maxx Sport.

Just from looking at the mood of this forum since the launch, I get the feeling that those looking at SP23 are quite excited (and rightly so), while those considering Maxx are rather disappointed (and rightly so). Best value go to Neo or SP23, no doubt.

·
Registered
372 Posts
No - black handles and side protection mouldings. Not as bad if you're thinking of a darker colour.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think i might wait longer save money and get the next model up from the neo. Non body colour door handles and door protection strips make the car look cheap IMO.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Im just wondering if others have changed their mind getting the Neo model since it has non body coloured parts.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts