Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OKAY, all I can say is, I'M SOLD! :D:D:D

The fit and finish for a car of this price and level, is totally top notch....much like what the P5 is like. Value-wise, I don't think you can get any better than this! Shit...that means there's gonna be sooooo many of these babies out on the road soon.

However, I don't think I'll put down my money one, unless I've gotten to drive one first. But that's a personal thing.

Alright, onto the good stuff :D The car!

I didn't bring my camera with me....which was a good idea, since the lighting was crap, and I would have spent better time munching down on the free food :p There were two cars at Wolfe Mazda; an Indigo Blue Mica GT with GFX, and a Titanium Grey Metallic Sport GT with GFX as well. No test drives. :(

Sedan GT:
I got to sit in this one first...first impression was, "HOLY SHIT, THOSE ARE BIG RIMS!!!" These 17 inch babies fill out the wheel well pretty darn well! And they're very nice too...much like the P5 ones, but of course, not chromed (I personally hate the chrome). The colour wasn't as bad as I imagined, in fact, it looked pretty nice at night. The tail lights were of the dark back/clear cover type, and the front lights had three sets to them: marker, projection (low beam), and high beam. The fog lights were funky...they had a little silver accent to them, around the rim of the lights. Very tasteful....and I like the how Mazda paid attention to that kind of cosmetic detail. One thing that caught my attention, was the rear passenger doors. Since the design of the rear passenger windows are now of a "reverse angle", they stick out quite a bit, versus a "normal" kind of window. Another thing, is the small amount of entry/exit space from the rear seats - your foot might get caught, unless you twist it 90 degrees to exit! Then again, these two issues aren't that big.

Now for the interior...

It's NICE. VERY NICE. I love the electroluminscence dials. They're so funky, so futuristic! Helps too, when it's been taken directly from the RX-8 cluster, and plopped right in the Mazda3. Not only that, but the steering wheel is taken from the RX-8 (I know, because I sat in one a few weeks ago at the same dealership). One minor gripe here, is that the center "cluster" of A/C controls aren't like the Mazda6's. I was actually pretty disappointed in that.....I really liked the translucent dials that are on the M6's "cluster".

Stereo's a little lacking though....I believe it's because they placed the rear speakers on the doors (like you would find in the front seat of any car). It's a bit less "good" I think.

Anyways....I posted this up over at www.revscene.net, but I decided to repost this here. I will post up the second part in a bit. :D

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay.....PART TWO :)

Sport GT:

Much of the interior is the same as the Sedan GT.....the only major difference here is the leather seats (which are an option on the GT), and the hatch (plus the goodies that come with a hatch).

What goodies?

Well, what surprised me, was the amount of stuff that went under the top layer. They had compartments built into the layer on top of the spare! These weren't just any ol' plasticky boxes, but actually well covered, well formed molded boxes! You'd have to see it for yourself to know what I mean. I was kinda shocked to see so much detail in this level of a car. The spare, of course, is smaller than normal (but then again, anything would be smaller than those 17 inch monsters :p).

So why do I like the Sport GT more now?

It's because of the look of the car. The lines, are soooo muscular. If you say the Sedan GT looks like a fat RX-8, then this is even better. Mostly, I think it's due to the pseudo-wide wheel wells. If you look at the promo pics, they look like they stick out too much. But in real life, they look GOOD. Real good. Definately looks sexy :D

Overall, IMHO, if you're going for looks, the GFX or the Appearance package is DEFINATELY what you need (be it the Sedan or Sport model). This car is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by me, in terms of looks, quality, and workmanship. I don't know about driving, but from what I've heard, very grippy, and low center of gravity....plus, it helps to have 160 ponies!

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On a side note, Wolfe Mazda is a dealer in Burnaby, BC, Canada.

Burnaby is part of the Greater Vancouver Regional District, or GVRD for short.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OH! I forgot one important thing!

Regarding the CLUTCH PEDAL.

It's a little too close to the brake, IMO.....but not too close, which is still okay :)

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's actually on Boundary, a little after Lougheed if you're heading northbound.

And nope, no brochures yet.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Nice review Levitron. Where is YVR?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
sweet review Levitron! The Mz3 is slowly invading Alberta soon I hope!

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, everyone :)

YVR = the airport designation for Vancouver, BC, Canada.

I forgot to add two things last night; I was tired and sleepy :)

1) The glove box is GIGANTIC. I'd say, at least a foot and a half deep! My ARM literally disappears into the box! Beats ANYTHING out there, besides minivans and SUV's.

2) I started the Sedan GT up, and I also heard someone start up the Sport GT; both 2.3L's. The exhaust tune is very pleasant....deep and resonant. Very good for a car of this price.....in fact, I might venture to say that this almost sounds just as good as a sports car!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Actually the gauges and the steering wheel were not taken "directly" from the RX-8 and put in the 3. The guage cluster is pretty obviously different to me (lighting, numbers, side tach. etc...) and the steering wheel has different buttons from cruise and audio and not as thick a rim.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Spammy56 said:
Actually the gauges and the steering wheel were not taken "directly" from the RX-8 and put in the 3. The guage cluster is pretty obviously different to me (lighting, numbers, side tach. etc...) and the steering wheel has different buttons from cruise and audio and not as thick a rim.
Hehe...fine....but it's pretty damn close.

Can't a man have some fun, and imagine that his car is something more? ;)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Guess Westcoast Mazda will be getting some (located in Coquitlam)

·
Registered
396 Posts
hey Levitron, did you notice the circle on the bumper of the sedan or the sport???

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
6_funk said:
hey Levitron, did you notice the circle on the bumper of the sedan or the sport???
YES!

I didn't check to see if it was on the Sedan or not, but I definately saw it on the Sport.

It's located on the right side of the front bumper.

Apparently, according to some sales guy, that it's a "feature" that BMW's have had for years. However, I didn't hear what he said what it's for.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts