Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to tint my Mazda3 HB, but I'm sweating the details, because I've never had a car tinted before. The shop my dealer sent me to uses LLumar, so apparently that is good. However, I've been looking at some tint jobs lately, and I'm worried about the line caused by the black dots arounds the edge of the window (on hatch and small rear windows). On a lot of cars, you can see a lighter line around the edge, which looks cheesy in my books.

On to my questions. Is that lighter line a product of a poor tint job, or is it unavoidable because of the black dots? Also, the tint guy recommended Llumar metallic film, but when I checked out a car he had just done, the tint looked really greenish. Can you get different coloured metallic tint (from Llumar)? If so, what shade would look good on a Titanium HB?

I'm a tint noob/retard, so help is appreciated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have llumar tint on mine. it's top o the line stuff. mine's a 'charcoal' color which is basically just grey. it actually has a slight, and i mean slight, brown tint to it, but i don't think anyone ever sees that, just me.

as far as the line around the rear window goes, mine has that (if i know what you're talking about). it's a barely-noticeable gap that i think is unavoidable. my suggestion is to check out the cars he's done and look at the line...if it's wide and/or uneven, go somewhere else. but if the line is really small and of a consistent width all the way around the window, i'd say he knows what he's doing.

i'd definitely get a grey/black tint on a Ti HB. it'd look sweet.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I believe the line is unavoidable. My guys tinted the windows that roll up and down so close to the edge that you can't tell its not factory, but on the rear window they left that little line around where the dots start. Its barely noticeable, only when standing near the car in the right light conditions, I've never noticed it from inside the car.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Tint will not adhere to those dots well, so installers will 'usually' tint around them. Example: My parents bought a 1988 Regal, back in '88, and the top of the back window was nothing but those dots. When they took it to get tinted, the shop didn't tint over the dots and that was the reason given. I also used to work at a custom shop back in the day and all the tinters we had never tinted over the dots; had to explain this to the customers numerous times.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My tinter tinted over the dots into the solid black area and that where he cut off. There is quite a bit of solid black area after the dots begin and it shouldnt be hard to take the tint into that area, then you cant tell at all from the outside. Mine looks sweet with 20% on all windows except the winshield.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.