Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 mazda3i 2.0
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to swap out the clutch in my 2011 mazda3 2.0 5speed what tools do I need to get this done and I don't have a lift just jack and stands. I'm knowledgeable on doing the job, but it's been a while, so I wanted to be sure I had everything I needed before I tear my baby a.k.a "the ghost" apart
Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think it is almost imperative to have an engine support bar to hold the engine from falling when the transmission is removed. Harbor Freight sells one very reasonable that I have used and it works great. A slide hammer is very helpful when popping the axles out of the transmission, even better if your have a crow foot like attachment made for this very purpose.

Of course you'll need various sockets to remove all the bolts and nuts you'll encounter, and either an impact gun or breaker bar to help with the more challenging ones. A torque wrench is important to have to put everything back together properly.

If you plan to remove the flywheel for resurfacing or replacement, you will need a new set of flywheel bolts, which you should get from Mazda .They are one time only use. Also, some of the sensors on the transmission can be tricky to remove, because they have wires attached. You need something that works like an o2 sensor socket for this. For ours I took a cheap deep well 15/16" black socket from HF and cut a slot down the side for the wires to fit in, this worked really well.

Another home hack "tool" is a bolt that fits snugly in the hole in the pilot bearing. Pack water soaked bread into the pilot bearing cavity, insert the bolt in there, and hit it with a hammer a few times and hydrostatic pressure will push out the old pilot bearing for you.

Having a transmission jack helps with easing the transmission down off the engine, but the job can be accomplished without it as well.

Lastly, be prepared for the possibility that a bolt or two might break in the process. Bellhousing bolts commonly do this. On ours the special Mazda only bolt holding the starter on broke, and we had to order a replacement from the dealer. Speaking of the starter, the gasket that seals it will be toast, and a new gasket is about $25 from Mazda. We just put a new aftermarket starter on instead, as they come with a gasket and they fail eventually too, saves from going back later to do this.

My philosophy on such a high labor job is replace all potential wear and tear or finite lifetime parts while I'm in there, but if money is tight you could try to reuse as many of these as you can.

You'll also want to have a couple of new axle nuts to replace the ones that you have to remove. Parts stores should have these, or even rock auto .

It is a great time to replace your rear main seal while you're in there.

·
Registered
2011 mazda3i 2.0
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that is good information that I needed to refresh my memory on this job! I've done them before but not on this make/model and it's been a few years and my buddy that taught me what I know about wrenching passed about couple years ago. So I am unable to ask him to refresh my memory for it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts