Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i got my accord a few years back, the previous owner retrofitted a D2R HID system into the car. I pulled it out a while back and now i would like to put it into my 3. It seems to be OEM ballasts of some kind, probably old due to the fact that each ballast is about the size of a brick. NO joke lol. When it was in my other car, the wires were spliced and taped together.

So my question is... how can I install these into my 07 sedan without having to splice or cut any of the factory wires? I've searched many forums and boards for days now and could not find an answer. What I was thinking I can do is find H7 male connectors and solder those onto the ballast wires creating like a "plug&play" system. But will that work and does anybody know where I can find the connectors? I have had no luck finding the connectors anywhere online. There are three wires coming out of the ballast... and here is what the diagram on the ballast reads: Black battery (-), White battery (+), Red remote.

Another question I have is will this here solve my problem?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harness-HID-RELAY-Wiring-Headlight-H7-H1-H3-6000K_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ006QQitemZ160091139654QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

BTW, i will be using Phillips D2S bulbs with h7 adapters.

Thank you guys in advance... sorry I have so many questions too.

And if there is a thread out there covering this topic, please point me in that direction, because i've searched and just had no luck.

Here are pictures of the ballast...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ill tell ya man, you can get a brand new Katsuro kit from www.xenonexpert.com pretty cheap ($200) and its awesome. That set looks kinda beat my friend. There would be nothing worse than doing all the work, for that set up not to work ya know?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=everett-m3s link=topic=71224.msg1251406#msg1251406 date=1173181263]
Ill tell ya man, you can get a brand new Katsuro kit from www.xenonexpert.com pretty cheap ($200) and its awesome. That set looks kinda beat my friend. There would be nothing worse than doing all the work, for that set up not to work ya know?

[/quote]

yah i know, there are many available kits out there offered by the sponsors. It seems like everyone is happy with them as well too. But I've decided already that I would like to stick with OEM products, for future purposes. I hope to do a lense swap as well when i do retrofit the ballasts. lol you're right though, these do look beat! They're old... but when I was using them, they worked flawlessly and never failed. thanks for the input though. If all else fails and i do need a kit, i would definitely take your recommendation.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you really wanna go for it, contact some of the sponsers of exterior lighting here, they all seem very friendly and professional. I think you can do it, since you know what wires go to what.

I guess to me you can get an "out of the box, plug and play" kit and install it in under 2hrs. But I think you can get an H7 adaptor for those lights from one of the vendors.

Good luck with your project, id like to see some pics if you go through with it!

-Everett

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you really want to stick to OEM products i would suggest that you snoop around on ebay and look for the oem xenon headlight housings. You can find them there often and for very cheap. I picked mine up from there for close to 200$ Just make sure to ask the seller if it is for a hatch or sedan because they often do not list this and state that they fit both.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote author=Operator link=topic=71224.msg2149005#msg2149005 date=1205461080]
How'd these fare for you?
[/quote]

Not so well. I wasn't able to get the bulbs to sit properly inside the housing due to the bulb holders being too big, so i couldn't get the retention clip over it. I messed with it for days and finally just gave up.

So i went with the other route and purchased an Apexcone 55w 5000k kit. I just installed it two days ago and i love it. As much as i wanted to do a complete retrofit, i am very satisfied with this kit. Now i'm waiting on a second evo lense to do the lense swap + washer mod. :mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts