Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possibly the best car I've ever owned. Only reason I sold her was she was over 230,000 and started using oil. But still, what a wonderful ride.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I absolutely considered that, but couldn't afford to have the car down for a week while doing the swap. I have a low miles CX-5 now. It's nice, and believe it or not, actually gets better mileage than my 3!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have often missed vehicles I have owned and sold but then I remember the reasons why. I also make it a rule never to sell to a family member or friend and try to sell away from where I live so I don't have to see it anymore. Unfortunately I often go to car shows or the track and see them.
I totally understand your thoughts theblooms!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I absolutely considered that, but couldn't afford to have the car down for a week while doing the swap. I have a low miles CX-5 now. It's nice, and believe it or not, actually gets better mileage than my 3!
I bet it does, these 1st and 2nd gen 3's are rolling with the ford engines and their mileage is pretty crappy compared to today's standards especially compared the the sky-activ or whatever the name of the Mazda engines are.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I averaged 28 in my 2.3 3, I get nearly 34 in my 2.0 Skyactiv CX-5. Not a bad increase at all!

The only two cars I ever had that got better was my 03 Civic with a D17 (37), and my 85 Chevy Sprint that got an honest to God, I shit you not, actual 50 mpg!

·
Registered
460 Posts
28 is kinda low, unless it was an automatic or driven almost all in the city. We get low 30's with the 2.3, and about 30 after the 2.5 swap. Our 2011 with a 2.0 routinely gets 34-35mpg on the highway, with a manual.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
28 is kinda low, unless it was an automatic or driven almost all in the city. We get low 30's with the 2.3, and about 30 after the 2.5 swap. Our 2011 with a 2.0 routinely gets 34-35mpg on the highway, with a manual.
I don't think I've ever broke 32MPG with mine, and that was on my old commute going 55-60. On the highway going 65-70 I usually get 29MPG. This is on a 08 hatch, 2.3L, 5 speed manual. My mother's 2nd gen Equinox gets like 34MPG under the same circumstances.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't think I've ever broke 32MPG with mine, and that was on my old commute going 55-60. On the highway going 65-70 I usually get 29MPG. This is on a 08 hatch, 2.3L, 5 speed manual. My mother's 2nd gen Equinox gets like 34MPG under the same circumstances.
I might never 28 i drive about 100 miles on my commute round trip but usually am hitting around 80-90 the whole way there and I am also on an 08 hatch with the 2.3L 5 speed love the car to death so much fun to drive

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the first RX-8 in San Antonio - pre-ordered it a year before I got it. When I got T-boned a few years later pulling out of my subdivision by a double yellow passer, it was totaled. I couldn't even look at another car for months. My wife and I just carpooled. I finally reluctantly bought a new 2007 Speed3, after being rotary since '86. I really didn't like it at first, and I had feelings of betrayal, but it's now 2022 and I have 170,000 miles on her and wouldn't dream of giving her up. Believe me, I know how you feel too.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had the first RX-8 in San Antonio - pre-ordered it a year before I got it. When I got T-boned a few years later pulling out of my subdivision by a double yellow passer, it was totaled. I couldn't even look at another car for months. My wife and I just carpooled. I finally reluctantly bought a new 2007 Speed3, after being rotary since '86. I really didn't like it at first, and I had feelings of betrayal, but it's now 2022 and I have 170,000 miles on her and wouldn't dream of giving her up. Believe me, I know how you feel too.
That's actually pretty good to get 170,000 miles on a Speed3. Most of them have blown engines far, far before that.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The day I went to look at my 3, as soon as my wife saw it, she said, "I know you're going to buy that car. It's 100% you." And she was right!

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I first saw them, my impression was "cute". Then I rented an 07 sedan for a weekend on call which pretty much meant living in the car. I was hooked and bought the 08 hatchback. My daughter still has it and I get to drive or at least ride in it when I go to visit her. It was a year after I bought the 2019 before I could let it go, even to her. Trading it in was out of the question. On the topic of mileage, I found that car a little strange. Since 2014, I've made the same 350 mile trip from east Texas to south Louisiana and back often. As the car got older, the highway mileage got better.?? It varied with traffic and weather etc. of course. In the earlier years, I never saw anything over 29 regardless of the driving conditions. But, on some of these trips, I would get as good as 33. The 2019 is only getting 34-35 tops. I would love to get better mileage but there are other things to consider besides mileage and both of these cars seem to have those things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts