Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was thinking... one way the Cry02 kit works by radically cooling the intake air for a few seconds, right? what if you figured out a way to put a coiled freon tube in the intake tube and ran freon through it so that the intake air would be cold like with the Cry02 kit, just constantly... think this might work? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought that might be an issue, but i hadn't thought of a way to fix it yet...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and another side idea that i had was to heat wrap the cai. it would look ugly, but it might help

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
wrapping your intake won't help and freon is dangerous

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Keep in mind the freon is it's coldest under pressure. You'd have to run the a/c all the time to keep it constantly freezing. If you run the a/c you'd lose the power you gained if not more. But, you might just be able to hook it up like the cryo2, just with a relief on one end. That would defeat the whole purpose, though. Also, if you used freon in that manner you would totally cook our kids by depleting the ozone layer. lol.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol. i was actually thinking of using a miniature freon system seperate from the AC system. i dont know how small they get, so that might be a bit heavy... once again, this is all just a idea i had while day dreaming in calculus...

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Any kind of cooling system would use more power from the engine then it would provide...basic science is that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Of course it is conceivable you could drop the intake temp enough to make up for the power losses to cool it, but you would also be burning more fuel (and a lot more) to get that. Considering that cooling systems are fairly inefficient, even peltier coolers then you are looking at losing more power then you could gain out of this.
-Matt

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, well there goes that idea...

·
Registered
363 Posts
haha nothing like being shot down.

damn. no mercy

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
save the effort and get the turbonator!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
with that you can run higher boost levels on their simulated turbo noise.

Couldn't a CPU peltier unit run on a 12v? You're probably better off just removing your fog light for the summer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
[quote author=mazdamn02 link=topic=70705.msg1239768#msg1239768 date=1172706327]
vietnam spec ftw!
[/quote]

im totally going for the VDM look on my car... maybe some bullet holes, agent orange, rust, cracked glass.. that ish will be hawt!

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
if i am right freon is very flamable.

so thats a no no!

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
[quote author=eurotuner link=topic=70705.msg1240188#msg1240188 date=1172718248]
if i am right freon is very flamable.

so thats a no no!
[/quote]

you are wrong ;)

Flammable hydrocarbons are sometimes used as a substitute for freon, but freon itself is only very weakly flammable.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts