Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2004 Hatch, and my girlfriend owns a 2005 Scion TC. EVERYTIME we race each other, and I mean EVERYTIME, she beats me. From a stop, from a rolling start, no matter what she wins. I have a CAI, and she has NOTHING.

What is going on seriously? The 3 is lighter and the factory rated horsepower is identical. The TC has more low end torque but I am guessing that shouldn't be deciding factor? I just cannot seem to beat her. Please someone explain this to me as it is pretty demasculating :(

·
Registered
470 Posts
I would switch vehicles and see if maybe she is simply a better driver than you are. Although numbers don't always tell the whole story.

·
Registered
31,080 Posts
the CAI is going to cost you some low end torque in exchange for a little hp on top. if you aren't really good at keeping the revs up while shifting through the gears that CAI could actually be hurting you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=72916.msg1289579#msg1289579 date=1174833836]
the CAI is going to cost you some low end torque in exchange for a little hp on top. if you aren't really good at keeping the revs up while shifting through the gears that CAI could actually be hurting you.
[/quote]

What am I not doing right? I just don't understand. I have a short throw and I don't seem to be driving wrong, at least from what I can see. I shift rather quickly and smoothly. If there are any holes in my driving I would like to see them improved.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Ooooo a local guy, I'm from the new haven area. Anyways, When it comes to street racing like that, it's usually 50% driver, 50% car. Your 18" wheels are gonna slow you down a bit because its heavier unsprung weight, also if she has an automatic she may be shifting more consistently than you are. The best way to figure out who's the better driver is to go to an AutoX and race against eachother's times there...or swap cars. If you are really looking for holes in your driving you need to do it at an autoX or at a drag strip. For example if she is reacting faster than you, you'd be able to find that out at a drag strip.

Yea my post is talking in circles, the point is, if you keep doing the same thing over and over and she keeps beating you, that isn't gonna tell you who the better driver is. Best bet is to race her off the street.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote author=Hexedit link=topic=72916.msg1289619#msg1289619 date=1174834865]
Ooooo a local guy, I'm from the new haven area. Anyways, When it comes to street racing like that, it's usually 50% driver, 50% car. Your 18" wheels are gonna slow you down a bit because its heavier unsprung weight, also if she has an automatic she may be shifting more consistently than you are. The best way to figure out who's the better driver is to go to an AutoX and race against eachother's times there...or swap cars. If you are really looking for holes in your driving you need to do it at an autoX or at a drag strip. For example if she is reacting faster than you, you'd be able to find that out at a drag strip.

Yea my post is talking in circles, the point is, if you keep doing the same thing over and over and she keeps beating you, that isn't gonna tell you who the better driver is. Best bet is to race her off the street.
[/quote]

What's up man?
She actually has 18 inch chromes. I guess what I am asking is, since the HP numbers are the same, is the fact that her car produces better torque numbers really an issue? I just can't see my shifting as that big an issue here. Wouldn't my short shifter compensate for any problems in my driving?

·
Registered
31,080 Posts
there's also bound to be variation in the actual output of each engine. she could have a great one and you could have one that's below average.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Not even close, the short shifter really does nothing for your driving. It all about how you modulate the clutch and accelerator pedals, the fact that you can slam it into gear 30% faster won't help you if you can't keep the car in the rev range or if you take too long on the clutch pedal. You may not be revving up far enough before dumping the clutch or if you are spinning tires you are losing potential power and speed. The intake maybe gave you 5-6hp at best, so you are looking at somewhere between 140 and 145 hp to the wheels. By how much does your gf usually beat you?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote author=Hexedit link=topic=72916.msg1289637#msg1289637 date=1174835514]
Not even close, the short shifter really does nothing for your driving. It all about how you modulate the clutch and accelerator pedals, the fact that you can slam it into gear 30% faster won't help you if you can't keep the car in the rev range or if you take too long on the clutch pedal. You may not be revving up far enough before dumping the clutch or if you are spinning tires you are losing potential power and speed. The intake maybe gave you 5-6hp at best, so you are looking at somewhere between 140 and 145 hp to the wheels. By how much does your gf usually beat you?
[/quote]

by the time we hit about 100-110 she is a car length or more ahead.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
dear lord you people drive fast.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote author=mazda3nut link=topic=72916.msg1289661#msg1289661 date=1174836257]
face it, man. she's a better driver lol :lmao: :violinbash:
[/quote]

AND she's hot. But if that is the case, I would love to know what I am doing wrong. Am I not fast enough? Not power shifting right?

R

·
0 Posts
lol, no matter what you guys do the scion is going to win

they are simply fast little cars, when I USE to street race (cough cough), they would always win

its that gearbox

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[quote author=RymanH24 link=topic=72916.msg1289723#msg1289723 date=1174839916]
lol, no matter what you guys do the scion is going to win

they are simply fast little cars, when I USE to street race (cough cough), they would always win

its that gearbox
[/quote]

I'm only saying that on paper, the two cars are identical. I have an intake. A gearbox should not act as a decisive factor. If indeed it is my driving I just want to know what I am doing wrong.

And I do not spin in first, most of our little battles are on the highway from a 35 mph start.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Actually, if her car is geared closer than our cars then yes she probably will win.

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
I agree with Hexedit. Take it to the track. You'll find out a lot about your driving style there, and legally.

and now for my fast and the furious dumbass quote.... "Street's closed pizza boy..... find another way home" *waves his hand as to move on*

"Damn street racers!"

:p

1 - 20 of 41 Posts