Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new to this site, but i had a question for you guys...maybe some one can help?

I have the GPS that came with the car, and everything works fine. The DVD player unit thing is located in the glove box. I was just wondering if there is any way to use the GPS screen (located in the dash) as a normal DVD player instead, or in addition to the GPS?

Lemme know.
Thanks. :D

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
NOOOO your factory GPS system cannont play DVD's (Movie DVD's that is because the GPS only recognizes SDAL Format). What I'm eventually going to do is buy a switch box (which just makes it possible for an external source such as PS2 or DVD Player to be displayed) so I can play whatever I want on the screen without losing GPS functionality. The site below is just one of the many that are available (Google around the net, I typed "Nav Converter").

AVElectronic.com

FYI: I have an 04' with factory nav but it's still the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly what I wanted to know. Thank You!

How much do these "Switch Boxes" go for anyways? Is it a hassle to install?

Thanks for all the help! :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I googled "mazda nav converter" and got a bunch of good results like you said.

here one of the many i found:
http://www.autoall.com/navigation-converter.html
around $500

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok...you may think It sounds crazy, but i had an idea. Lets see if i can try to explain it.

Ok for instance lets say i have an 2005 3s with the factory nav. I used a nav switcher and have two headrest monitors as well hooked up to it.
i have a dvd player hooked up as well as a ps2 and the navi. the switcher comes with a tv tuner. what source would that be on? also: would it be possible to view different sources on each of the screens?

just a couple random questions. thanks. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sgon--did you buy the nav switcher?

if you did, and get it installed, would you post some pictures? I'm looking into getting one as well. Thanks. :D

·
Registered
847 Posts
[quote author=lildjhapenguin07 link=topic=66438.msg1149135#msg1149135 date=1168799448]
Sgon--did you buy the nav switcher?

if you did, and get it installed, would you post some pictures? I'm looking into getting one as well. Thanks. :D
[/quote]

I had it installed before with mazda3, but trying to hook it up on speed3, I lost the instruction, here some video on my sedan3

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QF2lD29kPAU

1 - 7 of 7 Posts