Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i first turn the car on no noise then it warms up and it statrs ticking the ticking increases in speed with accelerator. what usually happens when you bend a valve or does this sound like a whole different problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the top of the engine but i heard no ythis forum that people have had a problem with s flapper valve in the intake manifold i am rally hoping that is all it is.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
I'll put my money on its your injectors. The injectors are REALLY loud in this car and they do tick faster as RPMS increase.

·
Registered
140 Posts
When my dad's jeep threw a rod, all I heard was a similar ticking noise, that I thought was just "The exhaust coming loose, I'll get it looked at on Saturday". Brought it in on saturday, and we ended up paying 8,000 dollars for a rebuilt engine. Not trying to scare you, but I'd get it looked at.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
[quote author=Gmofftarki link=topic=70584.msg1477793#msg1477793 date=1181581308]
When my dad's jeep threw a rod, all I heard was a similar ticking noise, that I thought was just "The exhaust coming loose, I'll get it looked at on Saturday". Brought it in on saturday, and we ended up paying 8,000 dollars for a rebuilt engine. Not trying to scare you, but I'd get it looked at.
[/quote]

How many cylinders did the jeep have? I can't imagine throwing a rod on a 4 cylinder car and having the car continue to run. I know when I did it I punched holes in the block, lost oil pressure, and the car just wouldn't start. Of course it would depend on the type of failure and how catastrophic it is. Regardless, I wouldn't categorize a tick as a thrown rod, that would be a tap or a knock.

·
Registered
140 Posts
[quote author=Hexedit link=topic=70584.msg1477849#msg1477849 date=1181582283]
[quote author=Gmofftarki link=topic=70584.msg1477793#msg1477793 date=1181581308]
[/quote]

How many cylinders did the jeep have? I can't imagine throwing a rod on a 4 cylinder car and having the car continue to run. I know when I did it I punched holes in the block, lost oil pressure, and the car just wouldn't start. Of course it would depend on the type of failure and how catastrophic it is. Regardless, I wouldn't categorize a tick as a thrown rod, that would be a tap or a knock.
[/quote]

It was a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the V8 4.7. It didn't run very long after we threw the rod (maybe a grand total of 40-45 miles), but it did last.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Yea i just picture a car with 88% of its cylinders running slightly better than a car with 75% of its cylinders firing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a very similar problem. I think it is the Acc. Belt Tensioner Assy bearing going out. You can easily confirm this by putting a long rod on it and put it to your ear and listen. Compare it to other places on the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts