Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes i am aware.

drl = daytime running lights on canadian-spec models, mine's an 06 if that clarifies anything.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what i am questioning, rather, is if anyone has come up with a method on how to make the parking lights drl. not whether or not it is mandatory or law.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
There is a way to make the parking lites come on with the fogs aka: Audi style BUT b/c our Canadian cars have DRLs, Im' not sure if the mod will work on our cars.
It involves cutting wires/splicing at the PJB.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I know we can do independent fog lights but the question was if we can use the parking lights as DRL or use it independently without turning on tail and interior lights. Like GM cars which use the parking lights as DRL. Is there anyone that have done it?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I have my parking lights as DRLs (don't know about the legalities but I don't care). My set up is this. I used the parking light source to power my low-beam HIDs (through a relay). The low-beam is then used to power my parking lights (you will have to cut wires to do this).

So during the day, the parking lights are half-powered. One click of the headlight switch will turn on the low-beam HIDs (parking lights still at half-power, i think). The second click of the headlight switch will have the parking lights at full power (and the low-beam HIDs stay on).

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
any way you can explain this to me in a pm? wiring is the thing i suck at the most with these cars.

i have aftermarket hids too, can you leave the lights on "auto" and still accomplish the aftermarkets coming on?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm in California so DRL are not required but I'm interested in just having the parking lights on as DRL. If I turn it on with one click tail lights and interior lights come on too. I want to know if I can just have the parking lights on with that one click and not mess up turn signals as well.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=137850.msg2978563#msg2978563 date=1236298833]
any way you can explain this to me in a pm? wiring is the thing i suck at the most with these cars.

i have aftermarket hids too, can you leave the lights on "auto" and still accomplish the aftermarkets coming on?
[/quote]

Good luck on the mod, biped. I hope my explanations weren't too confusing :)

[quote author=twistedclown link=topic=137850.msg2978659#msg2978659 date=1236301637]
I'm in California so DRL are not required but I'm interested in just having the parking lights on as DRL. If I turn it on with one click tail lights and interior lights come on too. I want to know if I can just have the parking lights on with that one click and not mess up turn signals as well.
[/quote]

This can be done. I would suggest using a relay. The trigger for the relay will be the ignition in the fuse box. I've stolen a couple of pics from Oliver's independent fog mod thread to show where to tap into the ignition:

The power source of the relay will come directly from the battery (via a fuse). The output of the relay will go to parking light (one on each side). You will need to cut the parking light wire first (I believe it is the mainly orange wire with blue marks -- don't hold me to this, you should confirm; as there is a separate wire for the turn signal that goes to the bulb).

This way, the front parking lights will be on 24/7 (and will be on for another 30 seconds or so after you remove the key from the ignition - just like Oliver's ind fog mod). ON the first click of the headlight switch, the taillights and the instrument panel lights will be on -- just like before.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks for the advice but I actually do not want to have it on all he time. Is there a way where with a few wire cuts, I can have just parking lights on not including tail or the interior lights with one click of the switch?

·
Registered
461 Posts
asking the the question again

Thanks for the advice but I actually do not want to have it on all the time. Is there a way where with a few wire cuts, I can have just parking lights on not including tail or the interior lights with one click of the switch?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The above mod will only have the front parking lights one. And the rear / instrument lights will only go on if you using the healight switch. Remember that you will need to cut the front parking light wire (and the power source of the front parking lights will now be from the battery via the relay).

·
Registered
17 Posts
From the link above:

Turn signal DRLs also offer up to 0.5 mpg fuel saving when compared to full day headlight DRLs (like Volvo's, or driving with headlights on in the daytime), as proven by NHTSA and documented in a 1998 Federal Register document
Seriously?

Anyhoo, that's a pretty nice kit.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=IronxAtlantis link=topic=137850.msg2993540#msg2993540 date=1237000424]
From the link above:

Turn signal DRLs also offer up to 0.5 mpg fuel saving when compared to full day headlight DRLs (like Volvo's, or driving with headlights on in the daytime), as proven by NHTSA and documented in a 1998 Federal Register document
Seriously?

Anyhoo, that's a pretty nice kit.
[/quote]

Ha ha, hadn't read that part. I wasn't looking for that kit specifically, but I knew there were ones out there that you could hook up to the signal lights and not have to jury rig the stock wiring. The biggest thing that makes me want to do the signal lights vs. the headlights is that the signals are more easily viewable from more angles than the headlights. They're designed to be seen from the sides while the headlights shine directly forward.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts