Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to ask questions, but I don't know what to ask....

I would love to go and search on my own, but I have no clue what to search for.

All I want is a system that sounds good in my 04 Mazda 3. I feel like if I go into Circuit City I am wrong. If I go onto crutchfield I am an idiot for not picking the right setup.

I just want my music lound and clear :(

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
research my man, use the search and see what the people here are tunning, look for opinions, long term tests, price, etc,

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
unfortunately there is no one right answer for ur question. its all a personal preference thing.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
if you chat with the cruthfield representatives they can help you out.

before I didnt know what amplifier to match my kicker subwoofer.

the members here on the forums, such as Operator, and the representative from Crutchfield recommended the same amp. An alpine M450, i think it was.

Operator and a rep from Crutchfield are two good people to talk to in my experience.

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
[quote author=crazyfast link=topic=72010.msg1267529#msg1267529 date=1173901501]
unfortunately there is no one right answer for ur question. its all a personal preference thing.
[/quote]

Hallelujah! Someone else understands! Its all a personal preference thing. It seems from time to time someone is saying they got these speakers or that amp or is changing everything but the head unit and they get instantly bashed for their decisions. If they like their set up and it works for them..great!!!

Best advice for you to do is like others have said, research. For my front speakers I did alot of looking around before I got what I got. For me what was important was something that needed little modification, didnt need a lot of power and was something I could afford and felt was a good deal and got generally good reviews.

Just spend some time peruse these pages, yes there is lots of pages but they have good info.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just go to local stereo stores and see what they have to offer.. who knows.. they may have a few cars in the lot to let you sit in and hear what it sounds like instead of what it sounds like off the wall in a bad environment....

Crutchfield guys are good to help you, but never buy from them.. cause they are way over priced.. just use them like a whore and after you done, kick them to curb and get it someplace else... like ebay, stereo shops online, local that will cut a deal..... never ever pay retail.. only fools and idiots pay full retail for stereo equipment.

Plus.. it all depends on what your budget is... you want it sound good, but it all depends on how good your willing to pay for. For front speakers... prepare yourself to spend 150 to 300 a pair depending on size and model... If you are driving a mazda 3... you dont need 1000 watts for a sub unless you are a bass head and just want all bass.. nothing more.. to me, thats overkill in that car.. one good 10 or 12 inch sub will do you just fine.. the bass can overtake the highs and mids if there is too much of it i think.. gotta have it balanced so you can get imaging and a nice soundstage and actually hear tonality in the bass.

Just get out to a shop... simple as that

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
hey...

i paid retail for my stuff. I was tired of shopping online, receiving bad stuff, then shipping it back, waiting 2 weeks, reminding them "hey you got my stuff, is it done?", then waiting another week to get it back...
To me, paying another 50 bucks or even 100 bucks, its worth it if i can go into the store, get a brand new one to replace mine, or have the store help me with anything i got trouble with.

·
Registered
258 Posts
not sure where you were buying your stuff from.... but all the stuff i have ever gotten was good.... im sure alot of other people on here have gotten good stuff from online.... if you go to some shady site and order something and someone on ebay who has no rating at all.. then yeah, youll probably get screwed...

Even when i go to best buy to get something, i never pay what they have it marked for... i got my TV almost $300 below what they had it marked, just talked to a manager and got my way.

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
Knowledge, then preference, are the steps to upgrading your sound system.. in that order. Without knowledge, you might as well forget preference at this point. I did a bit of research myself, which included what amp's work with what sub's, etc. I was on a tight budget at the time for upgrading the sound system in my ZX2 years back, and so i went to walmart and spent 300 on an amp, sub, and a box. It was a pioneer 12" sub.. (350 watt max), and Jensen 400w 2-channel amp. I hooked up the rear speakers to the amp as well. I had that system in my car for about 4 to 5 years (transferred into the second ZX2 i had). The sound was great for my taste of music (trance music!!!). So i can vouche about walmart quality vs something from Crutchfield. Although I hate that devil of a place, but it was all about preference which made the decision for me and I was very satisfied for years to come. You can choose to spend more for higher quality sound, like 300 bucks for an amp and sub each, or bite the bullet like i did and get it all for 300 total.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I think you should buy the speakers at a local shop that lets you listen. Avoid the places that advertise a lot as the cheapest car stereo, and big chains like Best Buy.

What you want is good car stereo, so you have to find the vendors, such as Car Toys here in Seattle, that carry stuff that actually sounds good, and do fully professional installation.

Best Buy is only interested in products that they can heavily discount, which precludes them from carrying a lot of quality stuff.

If you are in the sticks, I suppose Crutchfield is good. There are reasons for their high prices, and paying list from a competent company that is going to sell you good-quality stuff mail order is worth doing, especially if the nearest store is 100 miles away. Crutchfield may charge a bit, but they will help you out, and will deliver authentic merchandise to you. And, BTW it is rather dishonest to use their services and then go buy somewhere else.

At the same time, I also feel that there is a lot of hype out there, especially on things that are pretty much commodities, such as amplifiers and interconnects. I bought a very inexpensive amp for my sub mail order and it was great. I also bought my subwoofer driver mail order from Partsexpress.com, and it is really wonderful. There is no need for expensive monster cable, plain-jane generic stuff sounds just as good, and paying big bucks for a name-brand amplifier is not usually worth the money either.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Basically just need to take yourself to a car audio shop around town and ask to listen to their cars to see what they have in them and see what sounds good to your ear....
You do get what you pay for at times.... anything will sound better than stock but if you listen to a good system, and then go back to yours, you might find out that what you thought was good, really wasnt as good as you thought it was.

Just get up off the couch and go shopping and have them let you listen to the cars they install.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I second that. Circuit city etc. will have sales people (typically) with little experience or knowledge... don't go there.. you can do better. Online is a great way to save $$$ if you're going to install yourself, and you know what you want. Also not the right choice for you.

Find a CAR AUDIO store. Not an electronics store with a section of car audio... These shops do this all day, every day... they'll have people who know what they're talking about. They'll also have a demo wall where you can listen to a few different setups.

Go to a few stores, go with your favorite CD to listen to on a variety of equipment... and go with a SPECIFIC budget in mind. If you don't know how much you have to spend... they'll end up showing you a $5000 system, and you'll walk out empty handed and dejected. You can get good upgrades for less money, but it's like buying a PC.. you can spend a ton of money without a problem. So go in knowing how much you can spend and tell the sales guy up front. Make them show you a system you can afford.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
but not all "audio" stores really have good "audio" stuff.

We got one audio store that sells the same junk you buy from taiwan on ebay.
But charge the same price as an real brand name item.
They sell stuff similar to pyle, which I heard you wanna stay away from.

Look at several stores I guess.
But compare the prices from internet to the prices in the stores.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Actually I got some cheap (about $14) Pyle 4" two-ways from PartExpress.com for a friend's Volvo and they sounded much better than the more expensive Polk and MTX speakers I got elsewhere. They didn't have much bass since they were only 4" but even at that price they had a butyl surround and well designed treated paper cone. The inexpensive mylar dome tweeter was actually rather mellow and nice, quite unlike the rather nasty tweeters on the MTX speakers.

Pyle sells ok stuff at their prices. There are better things, of course, but I wouldn't dismiss them altogether.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts