Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Re: Hypertech ECU tuning - Anyone used or heard about it?

I have had the tune in for a little over a month. My MS3 became a beast with the HyperTech program. There is power now throughout the revband. The car pulls hard up to 6500 rpm. There is no dropoff at 5800 rpm anymore.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Hypertech ECU tuning - Anyone used or heard about it?

Wow. Just reading up on all the info you have provided and the hypertech looks very promising. Now it's a toss up between the Cobb ap and this. For me I think this hypertech is a better fit. Really just what I was hoping for. And nice increase in power without adding in a bunch of new boltons. For you guys that have it installed already please write up a review with your impressions. I'd love to get some of your opinions before I make a move. Thanks much!

·
Registered
226 Posts
My review of the HyperTech tune:

It is definitely power that you can feel. 1st & 2nd gear are uninhibited. 1st pulls so hard,that you have to shift within seconds(if you floor it). 2nd is not as frenetic as first,but it is very strong. In the other gears, it pulls hard up to and beyond redline. At 6300 rpms, the power is still rising. I only added 200 rpm to the rev limiter. I am seeing about 2 psi of extra boost up top. The car pulls strong from 3000- 6500 rpm. It is insane at times.I have not measured afr's as of yet, but I would say the numbers would be in the acceptable range. Between the HyperTech flash and the CP-E RMM, the power really gets to the ground. I would strongly recommend installing an RMM , if you pick up this flash.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just got the Hypertech today. I was able to update it on the internet just fine, however--I can't get it to turn on when plugged into the car, at all.

Am I perhaps doing something wrong? Tried the key in both positions, plugged it in/out at different intervals, etc. Nothing.

Maybe I'm an idiot, or maybe something is faulty. Let me know your process for getting it to initialize in the car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
[quote author=tkm link=topic=173328.msg3723385#msg3723385 date=1278723886]
Just got the Hypertech today. I was able to update it on the internet just fine, however--I can't get it to turn on when plugged into the car, at all.

Am I perhaps doing something wrong? Tried the key in both positions, plugged it in/out at different intervals, etc. Nothing.

Maybe I'm an idiot, or maybe something is faulty. Let me know your process for getting it to initialize in the car.
[/quote]

A bit more info...

I plugged the hypertech into my OBD-II Toyota truck and the unit came right on. So, the unit appears to be fine. Seems something's up with my OBD-II port on my car.

I'll start chasing fuses, but if I don't find anything--offf to the dealer I go. Although I'm still not convinced that it isn't the hypertech.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You have to unplug the fuse for the radio first. There can not be any electrical load present, while the programmer is running. Also, do not open the windows while the unit is installed(open the windows before you connect the programmer, if needed). Plug the programmer into the OBD 2 port and it should turn on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
[quote author=Boosted1 link=topic=173328.msg3723469#msg3723469 date=1278731224]
You have to unplug the fuse for the radio first. There can not be any electrical load present, while the programmer is running. Also, do not open the windows while the unit is installed(open the windows before you connect the programmer, if needed). Plug the programmer into the OBD 2 port and it should turn on.
[/quote]

1) Where in the hell in the directions does it say this? It really would be nice to know these little details.

2) I unplugged the 30A fuse for (Audio) in the underhood fuse box. Still no power to the hypertech. I even put the battery on trickle charge just in case something was wrong there--that doesn't help either.

And no, I don't have anything else running or plugged into the cig lighter.

Very frustrating, to say the least.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The fuse for the radio inside the car on the passenger side should be removed. The instructions are on a yellow sheet that says,"Quick Installation Guide' in the box.

·
Registered
91 Posts
[quote author=Boosted1 link=topic=173328.msg3723536#msg3723536 date=1278736356]
The fuse for the radio inside the car on the passenger side should be removed. The instructions are on a yellow sheet that says,"Quick Installation Guide' in the box.
[/quote]

I removed the 7.5A fuse located on the pass side. Still nothing. Also left the 30A (audio) out as well.

On that yellow piece of paper, it says to pull fuses only if you have Onstar, remote start, aftermarket amp, etc. A stock Speed3 GT has none of these, but even so I disconnected the Bose stuff as well.

And I made sure no interior lights were on, etc. I just don't know what other fuses to pull that might help.

So far the programmer is not as easy as 1-2-3 (like the yellow paper states)...

·
Registered
123 Posts
your car sounds messed up, i doubt it's the actual device itself if you were able to plug it into another car and get it to power. sounds like the obd port isn't working right

·
Registered
226 Posts
He may be right.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, found out what the problem was. The car had a dealer-installed GPS system in it that I declined paying for, but it seems they left the device in the car anyhow.

The GPS system was hooked in-line with the OBD-II port. As soon as I took it out, the hypertech started working. Dumbest thing I have ever seen, and I can't believe the dealer would just leave it in there after I told them to take it out since I wasn't going to pay for the service.

·
Registered
226 Posts
[quote author=tkm link=topic=173328.msg3725699#msg3725699 date=1278987400]
Well, found out what the problem was. The car had a dealer-installed GPS system in it that I declined paying for, but it seems they left the device in the car anyhow.

The GPS system was hooked in-line with the OBD-II port. As soon as I took it out, the hypertech started working. Dumbest thing I have ever seen, and I can't believe the dealer would just leave it in there after I told them to take it out since I wasn't going to pay for the service.
[/quote]Glad to hear that the issue was resolved. Now, install the tune and let us know us know what you think of it.

·
Registered
765 Posts

[/quote]

did they told you that they just un-plug the connections (GPS to OBDII port) or is it hardwired?

·
Registered
91 Posts
[quote author=rmgedon69 link=topic=173328.msg3726231#msg3726231 date=1279032738]

[/quote]

did they told you that they just un-plug the connections (GPS to OBDII port) or is it hardwired?
[/quote]

I unplugged it. It was connected in between the OEM OBD-II port and its external OBD-II port. When the mechanic at the dealership couldn't find any voltage (like I couldn't), then we popped off the panel and saw it in there. I told him I'd remove it at home, which I did.

·
Registered
765 Posts
wouldn't it be easier to just unplug the fuse for the obdII?

·
Registered
91 Posts
[quote author=Boosted1 link=topic=173328.msg3725803#msg3725803 date=1278992950]

[/quote]Glad to hear that the issue was resolved. Now, install the tune and let us know us know what you think of it.
[/quote]

1) I like the extra performance in gears 1 and 2 now. Having the restriction lifted makes the car feel a lot better, and it isn't that hard to control.

2) I also like the extended power range. The car doesn't hit a wall over 5800rpms as it once did. It still needs to be shifted, but at least there is something there in case you need to hold the gear for a bit longer.

However, I had an odd situation occur and it is making me rethink the flash.

I did a 3/4 throttle pull though a 1-2-3 shift. While in 3rd gear at 3/4 throttle and the A/C on, the car did a serious sputter around 4500rpms (felt like the car hit the rev limiter (but I know it didn't). So bad that I had to let off the accelerator. I thought perhaps it was the traction control coming on (as it was a damp road), but I don't think so. If it happens again, the flash is coming out and I'm sending the unit back to hypertech.

Anyone else experience this? The only mod I have is a K&N intake kit, but this is an intake included with the flash parameters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts