Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting out hurricane Earl! For right now, I still have power but my friends across the road don't. We got enough food here at home to last a while...

My family is quite used to hurricanes by now. We survived a cat 5 in 1989 (Hugo) and 1995 (Marilyn) - serious business. The island went without power for almost 2 months! Homes were demolished...and the homes down here are made of solid concrete.

Anyhow, which me luck!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Stay safe. I know the Eastern Seaboard of the US is keeping tabs on Earl. Don't need a land falling hurricane up this way anytime soon....

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
+1 Watch your ass down there. Got storm coverage on the Fusion? :shock:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote author=HALOREALM link=topic=178788.msg3780355#msg3780355 date=1283195213]
+1 Watch your ass down there. Got storm coverage on the Fusion? :shock:
[/quote]

No storm coverage. Plus its at the bodyshop :shock:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It isn't TOO bad. High winds and rain, couple of blown transformers, etc. Everywhere except corner stores are closed - and an islandwide curfew goes into effect @ 6:00PM atlantic.

I'd say 95% of all the homes down here have shutters, so we literally don't have to 'board up' the houses. Just close the windows and then the shutters...pretty easy work :)

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
[quote author=bigb252 link=topic=178788.msg3780501#msg3780501 date=1283199393]
It isn't TOO bad. High winds and rain, couple of blown transformers, etc. Everywhere except corner stores are closed - and an islandwide curfew goes into effect @ 6:00PM atlantic.

I'd say 95% of all the homes down here have shutters, so we literally don't have to 'board up' the houses. Just close the windows and then the shutters...pretty easy work :)
[/quote]

I've only been through a couple of Cat 3's myself here. Had the eye go over me once with one of those. Several smaller ones also. A Cat 3 makes you start to pay attention for sure! I'd crap my pants if a 5 was coming our way.

Longest I've been without power was 4 days. I know several people here who were without power for 3 or 4 or more weeks.

Good luck, I watch all the storms closely !!

But, you know what? Its still beats snow any day! (I'm sure some of you will disagree) LOL

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*browsing from my cell*
We've been without power for about 6 hours now. 25 blown transformers around the island so far. A few sunken boats and yachts...

Last I heard, Earl's a category 4. I'm more worried about my fusion in the body shop though. I'm pretty sure that place is blown to bits. I'll take the jeep out tomorrow morning!

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
stay safe man.........i moved to FL as soon as hurricane Katrina hit...........wasn't good :(......1000's and 1000's of dollars of damage to my house :(

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=178788.msg3780662#msg3780662 date=1283209344]
Oh, hurricane season's started already, huh?
[/quote]

started in May, you're a few months late :)

to the OP, hope you're okay.
I've been through plenty of hurricanes in my lifetime, i'm glad that one isn't heading our way this time around.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still okay(car too)! Still without power...had to head down to the University just to charge up my phone...Power company says they'll try to get us back up and running tomorrow. Couple of powerlines down here and there, so about 60%-70% of the island has power.

Bad news, tropical storm Fiona is expected tomorrow - and our yard is screwed up. Avocado, mango, banana, coconut, papaya, soursop, custard apple and okra trees/plants all got demolished.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Glad to hear you and family are OK, sorry to hear about the vegetation. I wish we could grow such amazing trees up here. Although we are in a bit of a heat wave here in Toronto at the moment. First time in 10 years we have had a heat advisory for the 1st of September. Supposed to be 37 deg C today, with the humidex taking it to 45 C.

·
Registered
917 Posts
[quote author=bigb252 link=topic=178788.msg3782416#msg3782416 date=1283314989]
Still okay(car too)! Still without power...had to head down to the University just to charge up my phone...Power company says they'll try to get us back up and running tomorrow. Couple of powerlines down here and there, so about 60%-70% of the island has power.

Bad news, tropical storm Fiona is expected tomorrow - and our yard is screwed up. Avocado, mango, banana, coconut, papaya, soursop, custard apple and okra trees/plants all got demolished.
[/quote]

:shock: ohh noes, not the mangos! Doen't mango trees take years to grow before the bear fruit? Anyways, glad to get the update that you're safe!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts