Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so maybe my first problem was mixing the exhausts up. I just wasn't ready to drop an extra $200 on a cbe that you really dont see any gains from. ANYWAYS...

DP and CBE Bolted up fine to begin with, didn't have any problems perfect fitment if you ask me.. But..

I took my car out tonight and on the way home a 350z pulled up next to me.. I couldn't resist a race and I hadn't really gotten on it since I put it on so I wasn't sure how the car was going to fully react. Needless to say I lost the race because I let off the gas after hearing an atrocious banging noise. Got under the car and its the mid chasis brace.. Its dinged up from the exhaust hanger banging it under load. I tryed beating the area around it with a hammer and put it back on and drove it.. Same problem. 1st and 2nd gear with a big load on the turbo it bangs... I then took it off and drove without the brace.. Works fine no sounds had a buddy listen for anything small in the back and he said he heard nothing..

My question is.. How is it going to affect my car by taking that brace off and leaving it off. I don't see use in trying to cut a piece out because that may cause the brace to fail anyways.. Any ideas?

·
Registered
778 Posts
i have the exact setup and i never had a problem

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember speaking with you about that. I don't believe my hangers are bent or anything they look fine. I mean... I seriously pushed around my exhaust to see if it hit anywhere else and I am just mistaken.. and its that..

all the bolts from the dp back are tight. nothing is lose or anything.. Ill see what I can come up with tomorrow.. Im tired and worn out from working on it and being at work all day.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
thats interesting. I have a Corksport CBE...and don't have this problem.

I dont understand how it would bang...the corksport CBE fits with a stock downpipe. And the CP-e DP fits with a stock Cat-back...so how it doesnt fit with the 2 combined baffles me.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i have the same problem but i dont have a cpe..I have a prototype from another company and they are getting all the problems worked out. but to remedy it unbolt the two bolts from the dp/catback, get a jack to push the DP up a lil ..then tighten the bolts up. it should stay at the higher position.. btw .. no real negative effect happens if you don't have that bar.. i had it off myself..

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im going to put it on the lift one more time. Ill try the jack stand idea. hopefully it will work. My car sounded like it was going to blow up lol

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
i know what you are talking about. I had that same prob with my exhaust. It bounced against the frame right by the tire and also the heat shield. Right where the exhaust bends around the heat shield what i did was bend the sheild in more. Pushed the sheild more towards the car. Then is shifted my exhaust a bit and put small little hose clamps on the hinges so it would stay put. I know i don't got a speed but your prob sounds no different from mine. Try taking a hard right turn while gassing it a little and if you hear it banging then you got the same exact prob as mine.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
i had this problem with my f2 (pre)cbe luckily i noticed on the lift i tried a combination of things to resolve it including washers, reinstalling / adjusting the exhaust but finally decided to remove the brace. i have not noticed any difference in the way the car handles. you cant put shorter hangers to bring it higher because it hangs from the sides. maybe if you remove them and put them lower on the pipe it will raise it enough

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=134382.msg2890109#msg2890109 date=1232939919]
You're not gonna feel not having the brace day to day... I would take it off, or trade with one from a reg 3 cause their smaller
[/quote]
not to be a ass but you cant really make that assumption unless you know how he drives day to day

·
Registered
245 Posts
[quote author=chubbz88 link=topic=134382.msg2888866#msg2888866 date=1232865567]
Ok so maybe my first problem was mixing the exhausts up. I just wasn't ready to drop an extra $200 on a cbe that you really dont see any gains from. ANYWAYS...

DP and CBE Bolted up fine to begin with, didn't have any problems perfect fitment if you ask me.. But..

I took my car out tonight and on the way home a 350z pulled up next to me.. I couldn't resist a race and I hadn't really gotten on it since I put it on so I wasn't sure how the car was going to fully react. Needless to say I lost the race because I let off the gas after hearing an atrocious banging noise. Got under the car and its the mid chasis brace.. Its dinged up from the exhaust hanger banging it under load. I tryed beating the area around it with a hammer and put it back on and drove it.. Same problem. 1st and 2nd gear with a big load on the turbo it bangs... I then took it off and drove without the brace.. Works fine no sounds had a buddy listen for anything small in the back and he said he heard nothing..

My question is.. How is it going to affect my car by taking that brace off and leaving it off. I don't see use in trying to cut a piece out because that may cause the brace to fail anyways.. Any ideas?
[/quote]

That sounds really odd. My CPE / stock catback has tons of clearance around the tunnel and braces.
Are you using a stock motor mount? Are things moving around under high tq / load?

Is the install angle much different on the cork from the stock unit? lower hangers?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
my suggestion is to move the entire exhaust system towards the bottom of the car. Also try to find a rear mount in your budget. The less the engine moves back and forth will mitigate the up and down motion of the exhaust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts