Mazda3 Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
On Saturday 6/6, I had my second event in STF (first with coilovers & camber plates). I learned quite a bit about the car. My car has DSC, and I didn't realize pressing this button while the car was on only turned off stability control and not traction control (or vice versa?). Holding the button down, while starting the car turns both off and you get 2 more lights on the dash.

:klavergreg:. It was a chilly day, and everybody had 6 runs. I needed my first 2 runs to get used to the car. Runs 3-5 were all within .2 of each other. On my last run I put a few things together and ended up dropping another half second. I was happy with my driving, but I'm sure I left at least a second out there.

My car wasn't loose at all, but it rotated really well (predictably) with a little trail braking. It was a lot of fun, but I was wishing I had 15" wheels :) Lower CG and better gearing would have been great. The car is a lot of fun, but I'm just a rwd-whore.

My plan is to continue in STF this year until the Bridgestones cord. I'll probably sell off my suspension bits when the season ends. Either way, I'll try to keep this thread updated and share my fun/learnings.
If I am not mistaken, the traction light on the speedo indicates an error with the traction control system, since it was deactivated while the car was started. I normally just turn it off after starting the car, yielding the one "DSC off" light.

I also say this because when I had electrical problems at the NJ pro, I got that traction light on the speedo, the power steering warning light and the abs light warning light when the battery started failing.

edit: that light indicates a DSC malfunction.

·
Registered
486 Posts
DSC Off

If I am not mistaken, the traction light on the speedo indicates an error with the traction control system, since it was deactivated while the car was started. I normally just turn it off after starting the car, yielding the one "DSC off" light.

Agree. This matches what I used to do with my 2008. After the car was started, I touched that DSC button and got the one "off" light.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

I also say this because when I had electrical problems at the NJ pro, I got that traction light on the speedo, the power steering warning light and the abs light warning light when the battery started failing.

I just took a look at the owners manual (I should've looked there first!). It confirmed that pressing the disc button after starting the car will turn off both dsc and tcs.

These cars definitely get weird when you have voltage issues. Last year I had a a crap ton of battery corrosion. After cleaning it up, I slathered anti seize over all the cables and posts. About two weeks later I took it to a shop to have some AC work done. My car acted possessed for 3-4 days after I brought it home from the shop. It lost engine power, stalled, lost power steering, and the tach & speedo would move back and forth after shutting the car off.

I finally figured out that The shop disconnected the battery, and anti seize got between the cable and posts. After a thorough cleaning off ripostes and cables, all gremlins were vanquished.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
The 1st gens have traction control?? My 08 sport does not, correct?
My 08 is an s-touring model and has traction control and dynamic stability control. I'm not familiar with the options of a sport.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My 08 is an s-touring model and has traction control and dynamic stability control. I'm not familiar with the options of a sport.
My 08 was the same model as Kevin's......Grand Touring S.

·
Registered
603 Posts
my 2008 Sport has no tc or dsc. my 2012 MS2 has both. When the car is running hold the tc button for like 8 sec and the stability light will blink and you can't turn the assists back on, but when the car is turned off they will reset.

I was told however the SWAS in the gen 2 needs to be deactivated to disable the boost limiting feature that depends on the steering angle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I sold my miata, and reinstalled the bilsteins. I ran my first event if the year last weekend.

The stf car was fun, but wheel hop was wicked. I have the awr passenger mount installed. I also bought the lower rear mount last year, but never installed it.

Fast forward to this morning. I removed the stock rear mount and bracket. While installing the awr rear mount, I realize there is a problem.

It looks like the awr mount had too much metal and not enough clearance for the bracket. I can't even insert the bolt that Honda the mount and bracket together.

I'll give awr a call I Monday, but I'm open to any suggestions (im not open to cutting the awr mount...at this time)

I'll post pics later :(

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think you'll find that 95% of the wheel hop will be cured with that back mount, once installed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I think you'll find that 95% of the wheel hop will be cured with that back mount, once installed.
I ended up cutting the mount to create enough clearance. I'll pull some pics from my phone and post them up. I figured it would save me time in the long run. I'd agree that between the rear mount and passenger mount 95% of the nasty wheel hop is gone :)

I have the AWR rear mount and it was a tight fit but it worked. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AWR's jig must have been dropped or something? There wasn't enough room to position the AWR rear mount and bracket, so that the bolt could slide in. (Pulling pics off my phone)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Here's a pic of the AWR Rear Mount and the stock bracket. This is the best I could line up the two pieces. The stock bolt was NOT going to fit.

Here's a pic showing what is impeding the holes from lining up. Metal on metal contact. Even if the bolt could be forced in, these two metal surfaces rubbing would probably make for some wonderful noises :p

This is how much metal I opted to remove.

Success, the stock bolt fits and the mount & bracket now have similar range of motion as the stock mount & bracket:

This pic shows how much material I removed. Ignore the bass boat touch up paint :)

I really love the AWR passenger mount. I was impressed with the design, fitment, and how it has performed. Sadly, I don't feel the same way about the AWR rear mount.

Oh well. The car should be more fun now :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Nice pics and write up Kevin. I see what you're saying. I'm assuming flipping the mount didn't help any. Surprising to see that, that's definitely a problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I tried flipping it with no success.

See you in Lincoln this weekend?. I'll be running stx

61 - 75 of 75 Posts