Mazda3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Stock battery intake fits fine. The only issue I've had is that the harness to the MAF is a little tight, which gave me a CEL about 3 months in because engine vibrations rattled the connection. I live around the corner from my Mazda dealer. They cleaned and repaired the wires in the connector and then removed the harness clip from the battery box. It now has enough slack (I hope) to prevent this from happening again. Been driving it 2 days and no CEL as of yet. Keeping my fingers crossed. For first time HP-S installers... I'd think about removing the battery clip as part of the install procedure to prevent and damage to the MAF wires to begin with.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
874 Posts
nest on my to do list

·
Registered
190 Posts
so the sri/cai for $190 is pretty much the sri with an extra tube to convert to cai, right?

mrcarey, good tip on that harness clamp removal, as reading through the various posts about aftermarket intakes... people always had problems with the MAF wires being pulled... such an easy solution for SRI, but what about if u converted it to CAI... have to splice the wires??

no CEL? stalling?? any other issues?

after seeing this post, am kinda tempted to get one now...

·
Registered
561 Posts
jakob262

Here's answers in CAPS and pic attached.

so the sri/cai for $190 is pretty much the sri with an extra tube to convert to cai, right? YES.

mrcarey, good tip on that harness clamp removal, as reading through the various posts about aftermarket intakes... people always had problems with the MAF wires being pulled... such an easy solution for SRI, but what about if u converted it to CAI... have to splice the wires?? I BELIEVE THE MAF STAYS IN THE SAME POSITION WHETHER ITS IN THE SRI OR CAI CONFIGURATION, BUT HAVEN'T SWAP IT YET. HOWEVER, IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE ONLY ADDING ON THE EXTRA TUBE FOR THE CAI.

no CEL? stalling?? any other issues? SO FAR, SO GOOD... SINCE MY MECHANIC FIXED THE PROBLEM. BEFORE THE MAF WIRE FIX, I HAD SOME TROUBLE WITH OFF THE LINE ACCELERATION WHILE THE CEL WAS ON.

after seeing this post, am kinda tempted to get one now... GO FOR IT.

·
Registered
561 Posts
mazdajdm3,

Here's a pic of the battery air duct over top of the HP-S SRI/CAI. You can see it just fine. Forgive the dirt, it's a winter shot after install.

Reading up the battery duct, it seems okay to remove it if that's your preference. The caveat is that your battery will die more quickly from the heat. I imagine, you could remove the battery box cover for less wear on the battery/ less heat. I left both on thinking Mazda designed it for a reason... why mess with a good thing? I plan on painting mine this summer anyway to dress up the engine bay.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nize !!! :shock: Arent these available on eBay? Or did HPS grow past that and now charges threee times the actual cost just because of the name, like H&N's ?

·
Registered
874 Posts
has anyone had experience with the simota CBII and this HPS?

·
Registered
561 Posts
The HP-S SRI/CAI was my first mod and my only mod for about 2 months this winter. I did noticed slightly more pull, but to be honest, my 3 didn't really come alive until I put the Vibrant CBE on it. Now my car is noticeably faster and sounds amazing. The sucking whine of the SRI under acceleration with the roar of the exhaust is simply fantastic. It's not a 10 second car, but it sure does make me smile.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts