Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after HOURS and HOURS of research I finally bought myself a SRI, and I decided to go with the HPS. Ive done my research and asked everyone I could find who have owned one or had experience with them and they had nothing but GOOD to say about them! I chose wrinkle black, because I wanted it to some what look like it was factory, but you can clearly see that it is not. Below are the details and pictures of the intake! (i got a SRI because I do NOT even want to risk the chance of getting hydro lock because of a CAI, where I live the streets flood like CRAZY! So it is very very possible to submerge the filter on a CAI)

Packaging: The packaging was very very nice! It was all packed and wrapped really well so there was absolutely no way of stuff smacking together. Besides the intake they also included a HPS license plate frame, a couple stickers, business card, and very detailed instructions (with pictures) that was a big help!

Build/Quality: Wonderful! The welds are great looking, very solid and clean! It comes with very nice and sturdy T-Bolt Clamps (i dont believe ive seen any intakes thats came with them), as well as hose clamps and mounting brackets for an automatic transmission as well as a five speed. (they fit and hold great, definitely a great support for the intake)

Sound: This intake sounds freakin incredible! In the mid/high RPM's the engine now has a deep roar to it! Its sounds almost as if I had installed an exhaust or something (which will be coming soon, hehe)! Under low acceleration the intake makes this intoxicating whistle noise, that almost sounds like a mini turbo spooling! I LOVE the sound!

Performance: Definitely pulls harder in the MID/HIGH RPM's! Throttle response is also a lot better because of the increased air flow through the K&N cone filter that comes with it! Also this SRI sits a lot lower than most SRI's allowing for more airflow but not down far enough to ingest water! (i would recommend keeping your stock splash shield tho, mine is currently off but a new one should be in the mail tomorrow) :p

Overall: I would DEFINITELY reccomend this product to anyone in search of an intake, it comes in about 5 different colors and you can buy the HPS CAI which can be converted in to the SRI! The sound/quality/performance is wonderful! Great product! I could NOT be happier! (to all those who say, oh thats just a crappy ebay intake, dont get it blah blah blah, thats a load of crap, this is a great product!) :)

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
To bad your wife wont let you keep it.

What the hell, its just an intake, does she know your gas mileage might improve ???

Do you already have an aftermarket exhaust ? the intake alone does not make a car that loud.

I'm glad my wife lets me do what I want with my car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey there where did you buy your intake from?
and how much was it?
did you find HPS is about the same with fujita and takeda and aem?

·
Registered
138 Posts
thanks so much for this review this convinced me to get this CAI because of the versatility of making it a SRI and the prices are so good , question they have a blue one what color blue is it? i have an aurora blue mazda and i believe the color code is 34j what color code is the blue HPS

·
Registered
613 Posts
[quote author=slickdude link=topic=176255.msg3739530#msg3739530 date=1280067984]
thanks so much for this review this convinced me to get this CAI because of the versatility of making it a SRI and the prices are so good , question they have a blue one what color blue is it? i have an aurora blue mazda and i believe the color code is 34j what color code is the blue HPS

[/quote]

I don't think intakes have color codes, per say. At least not in the same way that cars do. The chance it will match your car is slim. That being said, the blue of the Simota SRI tubing looks sweet with Aurora Blue. Just saying. :)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
did you have a hard time when you installed yours? i could not get the bracket to support the short ram tubing piece on. the bolt would not move so i just left it without it and now it is all being supported by the bracket for the cold air extension. Put mine on this saturday. got a CEL but drove it for like 1 hour and then turned the car off and restarted and it was gone. Love the sound it makes, a slight whistling at the right rpm but then getting deeper the higher it gets.

Too bad i was in a hurry and didn't fully attach the splash shield under the engine so now i need a new one of those since i was dragging it for like 5 miles.

·
Registered
561 Posts
MZ3SPORTRUE... thanks for the excellent write up. It really helped in making my decision for a CAI/ SRI. I just got an HPS CAI/SRI for Christmas and had it installed today (SRI for winter). It's awesome! Just like you said. I see what you mean about it sounding like a CBE is on it... it gets mean about 4-5k rpm's. Sounds really sweet & pulls nicely. It's like I have a different car or something. I also really like the design of the SRI as it points downward away from the engine where it can get air from the grill. It's kind of like an SRI-CAI hybrid. The fact that I can turn it into a CAI for summer makes it that much better. It also misses the battery vent duct, which is a plus over others that interfere with it. Finally, it comes in so many colors.... I was able to get mine in the red which is a fairly close match to my '09 Copper Red 3s.

Fortunately, my wife likes the sound... so I'm keeping it. Hope you got your CBE by now. I'm working on a Borla for mine soon.

Here's my game plan for tuning for performance. Let me know what you think.

HPS CAI/SRI.... complete
Borla CBE... next month
Enkei PF01's... spring
Strut Bar.... spring
Chipping it.... after power train warranty expires
AutoExe BK03 front bumper or Mazda Front Dam (still on the fence)

I'll post pics later. Thanks again for sharing your experience with HPS in such detail. Happy New Year!

·
Registered
561 Posts
The other side. The red really matches well once you get it separated from the body color enough that you can't tell they're not exactly the same color.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased and installed this intake yesterday. Very simple to install, sounds great, and I reset the ECU during the install so no CEL.
My trip/fuel computer is telling me that I get 1 more MPG while cruising at 60MPH, woohoo! :D

My SRS CBE should be arriving today, installing over the weekend. I'm taking pictures, videos of both to compare stock sounds and looks to the mods.

Pics and videos soon if anyone wants to see them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just installed mine today and i'm REALLY impressed with it! The install was quick and easy, But i couldn't figure out how the stupid heat shield goes on.. so i just left it off. LOVE the sound it makes! Not bad for $180.00

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS SRI!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
the heatshield goes around the filter by where the clamp goes. Just make sure not to over tighten it because the plastic clips might break. On that note i made that mistake and HPS sent me a new shield free of charge, and in less then a week. A ziptie will work well if you can't figure it out.

·
Registered
855 Posts
one problem with the heat shield is that it makes the space very cluttered. mine was rattling against some metal object below so i recently fixed it but im considering just taking it off all together because i think it might be touching one of the hoses and i dont want friction to eventually cut through it

1 - 20 of 84 Posts