Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Manufacturers always rate horsepower at the crank, power at the wheels (Fron Wheels in the case of the 3) is less due to driveline losses.

My car just tested at [email protected], so assuming the 160 Crank HP is accurate 20HP is lost through the transmission & other driveline components.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
woudl having an automatic decrease even more so raitchison? ... and thats good news 140 whp =)

·
Registered
427 Posts
That 140 is very good. That's higher than all of the dynos I've seen on the 6i 2.3L, I think the best I've seen was 137hp.

And losing only 10hp with the automatic would be good. More likely to be 12-15, but 10 is possible.

·
Registered
947 Posts
raitchison said:
Manufacturers always rate horsepower at the crank, power at the wheels (Fron Wheels in the case of the 3) is less due to driveline losses.

My car just tested at [email protected], so assuming the 160 Crank HP is accurate 20HP is lost through the transmission & other driveline components.
Really...

I guess either the Mazda3's transmission is extra efficient, or Mazda under-rated the Mazda3 engine by about 5HP. I would have expected 135HP.

Oh well, more is better and the Mazda3's 160 horses are healthy ones!

·
Registered
86 Posts
raitchison said:

What kind of Dyno and was that corrected or uncorrected? Ambient temps also??? Can you post the plot?

The 20 whp loss is about right... It is pretty well documented that Miatas typically see about a 26 hp difference between an engine dyno and the number from dynojet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts