Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2009 Mazda 3 BL series (2010 MY for others)

I have the P2096 check engine light. Apparently this is a known issue and requires an ECU update. I called Mazda Australia and they say they know nothing about it and since the car is way out of warranty they would charge to diagnose and fix this.

I feel confident its the ECU issue as the reset procedure mentioned by others here works but for a few weeks only. If all I need is an ECU update how can I go about getting this done without the dealer ? could an aftermarket ECU tuner do it ?

Can it be done with the FORSCAN tool ?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I have 2009 Mazda 3 BL series (2010 MY for others)

I have the P2096 check engine light. Apparently this is a known issue and requires an ECU update. I called Mazda Australia and they say they know nothing about it and since the car is way out of warranty they would charge to diagnose and fix this.

I feel confident its the ECU issue as the reset procedure mentioned by others here works but for a few weeks only. If all I need is an ECU update how can I go about getting this done without the dealer ? could an aftermarket ECU tuner do it ?

Can it be done with the FORSCAN tool ?
You will either need to go to the dealer or find an independent shop that has a J2534 interface and the dealer software to do the update. Dealer/manufacturer software and a subscription is required, this cannot be done with FORScan or a even professional level scan tool. In the meantime, have you considered actually diagnosing the issue before jumping to conclusions? This code can easily be caused by a small exhaust leak and can behave exactly the same way as you describe, with the light coming back on after a few weeks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts