Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was becoming concerned about the front brake pads because my car is nearing 50,000 miles and I still have not had them replaced or even really looked at since my last inspection a year ago. However, I was reading on here and many people have gone well over 50k miles and have not had to replace theirs yet. Plus, 50+% of the miles I put on were highway.

However, I did read that people were replacing the rear brakes much sooner than the front. Why is this? Do the rear brakes have much less pad depth? It seems to defy logic since as you are stopping the brunt of the weight is coming forward onto the front brakes. Do the rear brakes squeel like the front when they need replaced?

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
The rear brakes wear more quickly because they're a softer organic composition than the front pads. As for squealing, they will once they get down to the shims.

In order to check them just pull the wheel off and look at them. You can check the outside one without removing the wheel, but it needs to be off to see the inside pad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts