Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
i know this is a very stupid question. I am trying to take the wheels off my m3. After taking all the bolts off the wheel i still can't take the wheel off. I figure i probably have a wheel lock(which my dealer did not tell me at all), but i can't find it any where. i think it might be in the middle of the wheel but couldn't open the cover. Some one please help.

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the wheel lock is in there. is there a picture tutorial on this topic. go ahead and laugh, i know it is stupid.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
you ever take a wheel off another car before?

(No offense)

I really do not think there is a wheel lock.

Try lifting the wheel and pulling it out.

or something.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did lift the car and i have taken wheels out of other cars. Some how after taken all the bolts out, i can't pull the wheel off.

So the lock is not in the middle of the car?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
No lock in the middle of the wheel. If you have undone all 5 lug bolts, then the wheel is most likely a little stuck to the surface of the hub. Make sure the car is securely in air and give the back of the tire some swift kicks with your foot or a rubber mallet. The wheel will eventually come loose, so be prepared to catch it before it falls on its face.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
i always loosen all 5 lugnuts or take off 4 and leave one loose and then give it a good wack so the tire doesn;t fall off no need to do any damage to the paint/body. . . i heard mazda 3 wheels were notorious for rusting up and getting good and stuck . . .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so it is likely that my wheel is stuck? All i have to do is give it a good whack?

Cool I will try that

Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
305 Posts
[quote author=lazyazn link=topic=71615.msg1260126#msg1260126 date=1173562436]
one more thing, how many jacks do you guys recommend for me to use? one or two.
[/quote]

?????

um, i really don't mean to sound condescending, but i believe you should take it to discount tire or somewhere.

·
Registered
611 Posts
it depends on what your doing and how comfortable you are with your equipment really.

Lets assume your rotating tires so you need all 4 tires off at the same time. You need 2 jackstands and a floor jack. you SHOULD use 4 jackstands. DO NOT use 2 jacks (one to replace stands)- this is a TERRIBLE idea.

Wheels can stick to the hub with a little rust- just take and rock it a bit or smack it with a rubber mallet and it will come loose.

Make sure all your wheels are off the grounds (the lower the better IMO though- if you get them 1" of the ground its better than 6" just because it maintains a low center of gravity and i feel safer that way)- if they are touching the ground its possible there is load on them; enough that you can slide the wheel off the studs because of pressure on them.

Remember to remove lugs in a crosswise pattern- Number them 1-5 counter clockwise and remove in the following order: 1, 3, 5, 2, 4. Go in reverse to remount. This is because if you remove them in a circular fashion you dont maintain even stress distribution across all the studs.

Also, if you are indeed rotating tires, remember they cross sides as well as front and back (assuming they aren't unidirectional. Unidirectional tires will often have a "these tires roll this direction" arrow on the sidewall- these must only rotate front to back instead of switching sides)

Also- you may consider having a buddy come help you- it's worth feeling silly to be safe and to have someone who KNOWS what theyre doing to show you a time or two until your confident.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts