Mazda3 Forums banner
101 - 111 of 111 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
My 2007 Mazda3 has a touch over 100k miles on it and (I think) still has its original plugs. My worry is that the plugs might be fused to the cylinder head just based on the fact they've never been changed. Is this common? I know the manual recommends changing them every 75k and I'm a little hesitant to do that myself.

· Registered
118 Posts
The NGK 90083 is the correct OEM one. I've used both before without issues, but the Iridium IX has a smaller gap (0.044" vs 0.055") than oem. I honestly couldn't tell a difference between them.

Rockauto has the 90083 for $8.82 each + shipping. So it may end up being cheaper than Amazon. Use the mazda3forums discount code '8507B9C3E039FF' in the 'How Did You Hear about Us' box to save 5%.

· Registered
4 Posts
The NGK 90083 is the correct OEM one. I've used both before without issues, but the Iridium IX has a smaller gap (0.044" vs 0.055") than oem. I honestly couldn't tell a difference between them.

Rockauto has the 90083 for $8.82 each + shipping. So it may end up being cheaper than Amazon. Use the mazda3forums discount code '8507B9C3E039FF' in the 'How Did You Hear about Us' box to save 5%.
Did you regap the IX? I've never regapped spark plugs, so I'm not sure how hard it may be.

· Registered
14 Posts
In my manual , the distance between the electrodes, for my type of engine, needs to be 1.0 - 1.1 mm ! That would be 0,039 inch to
0.43 inch . So why are you speaking of 0.049 - 0.053 inch ? 1.24 mm to 1.34 ? Actually the Iridium IX would fit better for me.
So what i`m saying here is that maybe , different types of engines may require adjustment from the out-of-the-box gap.

Attachments

· Registered
105 Posts
Spark plug replacement has to be the easiest thing you could ever tackle on any vehicle.

JUST DO NOT CROSS THREAD THE SPARK PLUGS OR YOU REALLY MESSED UP.

Go to your local auto store or Sears/ Home Depot and buy a spark plug socket and a 3 inch or longer extension for your preferably half inch socket wrench. All of that should be like 10 dollars.

As per spark plug recommendation i don't know about cars newer than 2008, but im sure its on here somewhere.
It's easy when things go perfectly and you have all the correct tools and references such as tech. Some will say jogging 20K is easy too. Blah blah, blah.

When you can't remove the plugs for whatever reason, your socket rubber gasket falls into the cylinder, you're unable to thread plugs easily back, or break a clip like in the 2005s, you'll wish you had paid the extra $100 to dealer or garage to do the work for you.

Since it's unlikely I'll replace the plugs again in my 2005 Mazda3 and I no longer have the proper tools, I'll just get the Mazda stealership to do the plugs. And the way things are going, we'll all have to drive an EV in about 5 to 10 years

· Registered
406 Posts
Might be because the computer needs adjusting or spark plug gap is off. And you bought oem plugs?
The gap would have had to be incredibly small.....for a notable loss/drop in MPG? Or the other ignition parts were damaged or staring to fail giving less output?
Brand and type really have less effect on MPG then some give credit for. A fresh new set of spark plugs always bring an engine back to life. If not, then something was not done correctly or there were other problems unresolved!

101 - 111 of 111 Posts