284 Posts
I got these from rockauto

Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total2008 MAZDA 5 2.3L L4
NGK 4344 Spark Plug $ 6.43 $ 0.00 4 $ 25.72
Shipping First Class Mail $ 2.60
Order Total $ 28.32

· Registered
431 Posts
decided to go with bosch fine wire iridium #9617 for $6.99 each, any feedback on them?

· Registered
13 Posts
thanks for the excellent instructions, replaced my plugs with the recommended ILTR5A-13G which i got from advance auto parts on a current special for less than $50. especially appreciate listing the necessary tools as i live in an apartment and it can be a pain to carry a bunch of tools in and out to the car instead of a few specific tools. will revisit this thread in 75,000 miles.

· Registered
8,662 Posts
decided to go with bosch fine wire iridium #9617 for $6.99 each, any feedback on them?
Based on past experience, I wouldn't use any plug in a Mazda other than NGK, which is what they come with from the factory BTW.

· Registered
9 Posts
I followed the guide, watched a few videos on Youtube, and all went well. Took me over an hour though, as I carefully applied anti-sieze.

One thing to mention, blow out the area of debris before taking out the coil packs. Mine had quite a bit of dust and debris stuck in the corners.

Also, my 04 didn't appear to have any anti-sieze applied to the threads when I took them out. I hadn't seen or heard any mention of the plugs making a squealing sound when removing them, so I was worried as the first one I took out made quite the noise.

I replaced mine at 91,000 and they looked like they needed the change. I noticed my car now starts up much quicker with the new plugs. Just slightly turn the key and its on.:grin:

· Registered
272 Posts
Can anyone tell me the stock parts numbers for the first generation and second generation's spark plugs for the 2.0 engine? I know a lot changed, small things, between years, I just want to see of the plug numbers changed.

I have first generation plug replacements from my totaled 3 that I want to use in my second gen and I was told by the mechanic that they are short. Both are 2.0 engines.

· Registered
31 Posts
Can anyone tell me the stock parts numbers for the first generation and second generation's spark plugs for the 2.0 engine?
FYI there are owner's manuals available for download on this site to do research like this...also, page 1 of this thread lists the NGK p/n's for the 04-05 models (ITR6F13) and 06-09 models (ILTR5A13G). Looking at the owner's manual for a 2010 yields Mazda p/n L3Y2 18 110 which crosses to NGK ILTR5A13G.

To answer your question, if you have spark plugs from an 04-05 Gen 1 they will NOT work in a Gen2, but if you have plugs from an 06-09 Gen1 they WILL work in a Gen2 (non-SkyActiv).

Link for manuals: http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=273242

Link for spark plug cross-reference: http://www.sparkplugcrossreference.co.uk/

· Registered
321 Posts
I replaced my plugs today with the NGK 3811 that were already in the car. Took a total of 20 minutes. The car has 95k on it. I didn't use anti-sieze on the threads and it seems there was none on the factory plugs either. I didn't have any problems getting them out at all and it was a breeze.

· Registered
5 Posts
New Plugs Sold By Mazda

Hello,

I tried to read all the pages so hopefully this is not a repost. I just picked up new plugs for my 2005 Mazda 3, 2.3L. They had pulled them when I had them do some other work and they told me that they were needing replacement. I thought it was odd cause they had 20K on them only.
So I bought new plugs and mentioned that there was likely a tech bulletin and that the ITR5F13 (L303 18 110) were probably not the right ones any more. They first said get the ITR5F13, giving me the Mazda part number, L303 18 110, then they said I needed Mazda L845 18 110 which is a TR5AI-13, with the Mazda symbol and name on them.

I doubted it, but the parts guy double checked it and that is the new part. I checked the internet and found that a dealer is listing these as the ones for Mazda3 -2004-2005 as well as other Mazdas. See the link below.

Any thoughts on this?

I am putting a picture of the ITR5F13 plugs I had in from 140-160K. I am also putting a picture of the new plug box.

The ITR5F13 plugs have a ton of white build up on 2 plugs and the other 2 are white 2. This is what they looked like when pulled. Is Mazda changing up the part to respond to the OEM plug not working well as you get up in miles/engine life?

I think I am/was burning a lot of oil due to improper fuel burn on the ITR5F13 plugs due to the fuel ending up in the oil, then burning it. I guess I read something like that but I probably haven't worded it right.

FYI, ITR5F13 are what was in the car when I pulled them at 80K. I ran Denso IT20 plugs, then went back to L303 18 110/ITR5F13 plugs for the last 20K. Now I have the new plugs in there and hoping they do ok.

Well I cant post the pics I talked about but the other info may be enough above.

Here is the dealer link selling these.

http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/SPARK-PLUG-(L845%2d18%2d110).html

· Registered
5 Posts

Looked back at my info on the ITR5F13, L303 18 110 which are crusty in the photos and they had 40K on them. Comparing them to 40K denso IT20's, which I kept, I like the look of how the densos run. The IT20 is one step cooler and comparable to a ITR6F13. We'll see how this new Mazda/NGK plug does but I am going to pull mine at 20K now and watch for the problems I was seeing closely.

Anybody know how often the coil packs should be replaced?

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2004 Mazda 3, 2.3 L engine with the plastic retaining clip over the bolt that retains the coil pack. I ended up using a thin pair of needle nose pliers to move aside the plastic teeth biting into the threads of the bolt. On top of that, I used a slot screwdriver to help jimmy the plastic clip away from the bolt. Missing this one piece of information cost me over 1.5 hours. Now, you get your 1.5 hours back.

Feeling pretty stupid at the moment. Thanks to this great how-to, I've got 3 plugs replaced, but the 4th (nearest passenger side) has a plastic clamp over the coil pack bolt, and I can't figure out how to get the dang thing off. Picture attached.

Help, please!

· Registered
7 Posts
Spark plug replacement

This thread has been really helpful. I'm considering replacing the plugs on my 2010 Mazda3, 94K miles. I haven't done much auto work besides a headlight bulb here and there, an air filter, etc. I don't have a spark plug socket. Any recommendations? Also, was a bit confused on the discussion around which plugs to buy, hopefully from Amazon. Anyone able to provide an exact part number for a 2010, 2.5L?

61 - 80 of 111 Posts