Mazda3 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 111 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
[quote author=Out2kill link=topic=177283.msg3750550#msg3750550 date=1280853636]
[quote author=XCNuse link=topic=177283.msg3750531#msg3750531 date=1280853135]
Just got mine done. My old ones look pretty much exactly like your old ones do. Gap is still pretty much near perfect (visually). Doubt it will make any difference, oh well, supposedly they needed replacing!
[/quote]

Any notable change in pickup?
[/quote]you on TW too?

· Registered
2 Posts
Feeling pretty stupid at the moment. Thanks to this great how-to, I've got 3 plugs replaced, but the 4th (nearest passenger side) has a plastic clamp over the coil pack bolt, and I can't figure out how to get the dang thing off. Picture attached.

Help, please!

· Registered
18 Posts
I managed to get a little bit of anti-seize compound on the firing head of one of the pugs (I think it is only on the porcelain part just below the sparker). Is there a way to clean that off? I tried rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, but that didn't do much . I also have carb and choke cleaner, that stuff is more heavy duty, would it be safe to use?

Also, the anti-seize compound I am using is a silver color rather than the copper color shown in the pictures. Is that ok? The bottle says it can be used on spark plugs.

· Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the write up...very easy to follow and to swap the plugs. It didn't take very long at all, other than having to exchange one because it had a huge nick in the threads :(

Now if only the plugs were this easy to swap in my Nissan Frontier :x

· Registered
2 Posts
[quote author=Trying2DIY link=topic=177283.msg4016011#msg4016011 date=1304709597]
Feeling pretty stupid at the moment. Thanks to this great how-to, I've got 3 plugs replaced, but the 4th (nearest passenger side) has a plastic clamp over the coil pack bolt, and I can't figure out how to get the dang thing off. Picture attached.

Help, please!

[/quote]

For anyone who has a 2005 and needs to know: the plastic clamp has two tongues that grip the bolt. Take two needle-nose pliers to hold the tongues apart and lift the clamp off the bolt.

· Registered
79 Posts
[quote author=mls64 link=topic=177283.msg3865595#msg3865595 date=1290399613]
At what mileage are you all changing plugs?
[/quote]

I checked mine this past weekend, there was no measurable deterioration of the gap, so I just put them back in. My '07 has 82,000 miles on it, I figure I'll probably run them till 100k unless I start notice the mileage dropping off considerably.

· Registered
373 Posts
Just changed the plugs in my 2006 M3 2.3L engine. It has 6 years and 70,000 km on it. Manual says to replace at that point for severe service. A couple of additions based on my experience.

- Use a 10 mm wrench to take the battery ground wire off before you start. You may also need needle nose pliers to fish the socket back out of a rather deep recess that the plugs fit into.

- The plugs I found in the engine were marked FoMoCo ILTR5A-13G. An internet check suggests these are NGK laser iridium. Three plugs measured about 0.054" on gap, and another at 0.051". There is a bit of a deposit on the ground electrode, so perhaps they are effectively larger than they measure. But compared to the specified 0.052" new from Mazda and NGK, negligible wear.

- I could not get the exact same plugs and went with the NGK Iridium IX, LTR5IX-11. I checked all four plugs as they came out of the package and got 0.040", or nearly 25% tighter than they should be for the Mazda. I regapped them all to 0.052", using a Champion tool, and being careful not to touch the center iridium electrode or the ceramic insulator. I think it would be a mistake putting in plugs that are that much too tight. Probably would cost some gas mileage and HP.

- Using an open end 8mm to remove the coil hold down bolt was a no go. However, I managed with a regular length 8mm socket, but putting the socket only on first and then inserting the ratchet just enough to engage the socket. Thought for a while I was going to have to buy a deep 8mm.

- The iridium electrode on the ILTR5A-13G OEM plug is finer than the NGK Iridium IX. It probably is a better plug, and if you have the choice between the two, I would go for it. I also read that the Laser Iridium has platinum on the ground electrode, for longer life. Probably the reason for the extra cost, if you can get it.

- I'm sure the engine would have run fine for at least another 30,000 km or a total of 100,000 km.

Hope that helps some,

· Registered
38 Posts
I just got four brand new NGK ILTR5A-13 from Amazon.com and noticed they have no compression rings. Is it normal? Nobody actually mentioned that detail in this topic.

It's been a while I replaced any spark plugs (and never in my Mz3 HB 2006) but I did quite a fiew back in the day. I always though all spark plugs must have compression rings.

Any insight on this?

UPDATE: Got info from NGK, so here it is FYI:
"These are tapered seat plugs which require no gasket."

· Registered
170 Posts
[quote author=DrWebster link=topic=177283.msg3747530#msg3747530 date=1280542916]
According to the shop manual, the torque specs for the plugs are 10-14 N·m, or 8-10 lb-ft. (Thanks to XCNuse for this info!)
[/quote]

Wow, nice write-up! What do you mean by torque specs?

· Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
[quote author=b_roy_1 link=topic=177283.msg4250580#msg4250580 date=1342585322] What do you mean by torque specs?
[/quote]

How tight to tighten them using a torque wrench, basically. It's to keep you from overtightening them and potentially stripping out the thread.

Some more general reading about tightening fasteners to a specific torque, if you're interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_wrench

· Registered
170 Posts

· Registered
222 Posts
You can do it without a torque wrench but be very careful. First of all make sure you have a 5/8 spark plug socket in your kit. I was looking at the link you provided, but did not see it in your kit. It's a special soket to retain the spark plug in the soket using a magnet or rubber housing within the soket. If you don't have a torque wrench just turn them about 1/8 more after finger tightening them.

· Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion on putting a a couple of drops of motor oil, rather than anti-seize compound, on the threads of the new plugs, before installing them. I did this long ago when I changed plugs with no problems, to ease screwing in the new plugs.

41 - 60 of 111 Posts