Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have changed the intake (cobb) a while ago and was planning on the CPE MM and Inlet. However, just with the air intake I feel way more power which cause more torque steer and I loose a lot of power in first and second gear with wheels spinning. So my question is: How do you put all that power to the ground in a FWD? I'm sure the MM will help but there is so much a FWD car can take. Is it all worth it? I don't race or AutoX but I'm addicted to quick accelaration and quick pass if you know what I mean...

Any info would help me decide if I should spend the extra money or not, so thanks in advance...

· Registered
31,524 Posts
wider, stickier tires

· Registered
25,522 Posts
Wider and stickier tires will help the most, motormounts help quite a bit as well, and last but not least, stiffer springs / coilovers. The less weight transfer you get to the back end, the more traction you'll have.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hoosier DOT Drag Radials will put lightly modded MS3's into the high 12's in the quarter. Mount them on 16 inch Ford Probe GT rims (very light).

They do not need to be wider, they do need to be on smaller rims to allow the taller sidewalls to flex properly. That absorbs the launch shock and also tends to eliminate any wheel hop issues. 225/60/16's work great. They will stick like glue after a short burnout before launch.

For street tires with cornering capabilities see posts above.

· Registered
31,524 Posts
lol, not sure he wants to drive around in drags...

also, are you trying to say that a wide tire doesn't have more traction than narrow one :thinking:

· Registered
358 Posts
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=143592.msg3095640#msg3095640 date=1241132870]

also, are you trying to say that a wide tire doesn't have more traction than narrow one :thinking:
[/quote]

You can't go much wider on the stock rims though, 235 is the limit right?

· Registered
31,524 Posts
depends on the tire. some people run really wide hoosiers for solo or autoX. 255s I think...245 for sure.

· Registered
2,167 Posts
[quote author=popecruz link=topic=143592.msg3095712#msg3095712 date=1241134973]You can't go much wider on the stock rims though, 235 is the limit right?
[/quote]

on the stock rims, i wouldn't go wider than 225/40/18. 235/40/18 on a 7" is just not a good idea, imo. the main point of getting wider tires is for the better handling corners, but when you pull the sidewalls inward with narrow rims, you kill the cornering capabilities of your wider tires...pretty damn counterproductive! if you want to go with 235s, get rx8 rims ([email protected] offset)...they work GREAT! ;)

· Registered
2,898 Posts
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=143592.msg3095640#msg3095640 date=1241132870]

[/quote]

wider wont help for launches. weight transfer is not your friend in FWD. wider helps in RWD.

sticker compound, better tread pattern. and motor mount / suspension upgrades to tame the EPIC wheelhop...

· Registered
16,597 Posts
[quote author=bani link=topic=143592.msg3101395#msg3101395 date=1241418383]

[/quote]

wider wont help for launches. weight transfer is not your friend in FWD. wider helps in RWD.

sticker compound, better tread pattern. and motor mount / suspension upgrades to tame the EPIC wheelhop...
[/quote]

wider will still help, it may not be as important as just choosing the correct tire for the application but a wider tire will give you more grip off the line.

· Registered
59 Posts
Everyone is saying "wider, stickier tires". A few weeks ago I installed Dunlop star specs ($200 per tire) and a little bit wider rims. ($1800 total set up; looks sick btw) These tires are def. very sticky and handle really well in corners. As far as wheel hop, I still have so much wheel hop in 1st and 2nd. I try to get to 3rd asap before I really take off. I have motor mounts, CAI, test pipe, stronger shifter bushings.. everything but upgraded suspension.

If you are looking for much improvement in launches, don't go for the expensive "really sticky" tires; it is not worth the money. But if you want great handling tires for corners and stability, go for it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.