Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems pretty simple, right? think you know everything? well I thought so too, til I actually did the process, the CORRECT way. you'll know it when it takes you anywhere from 12-48 hours to PROPERLY paint your wheels.

first off. clean your wheels!

i suggest dawn, but any mild soap and water will do the trick!

then, grab your weapons of choice!

sandpaper and painter tape and index cards! (sorry no pic of the index cards). now you don't necessarily have to have painters tape, but if you dont want to paint the wheel in full, it definitely helps, ALOT since it doesn't leave any sticky residue. sandpaper wise, i used 400grit. i found later than 100 grit came alot more in handy, then follow with the 400 grit to smooth everything out. make sure you sand all painting surfaces for best results!

primer/clear coat. primer is an absolute MUST on any paint you want to last. i used basic gloss clear coat but there's much much more out there. pick your fave. in all honesty, my paint job only used 1 1/2 cans of clear and 1 1/2 cans of primer. and i was pretty generous on both. so you may not need the 3rd can of clear unless you reallly want it.

uhhhhhhhh paint! pick your fave, obviously. there's alot out there. all kinds of metallics, but i just used a basic gloss paint for this job. i started with 4 cans as you can see, but only ended up using 2 1/2 cans. i was very very generous on the paint.

before we begin, i only had 2 jack stands. soooo SAFETY FIRST! if you only have one or two, do one side at a time. it's worth the wait.

begin by sanding down the wheel. depending on surface and scraches, only should take a good 5-10 minutes. then wash again getting all loose paint and dust off. repeat on others.

next. tape up ANY areas that you do not want paint on, this also includes INSIDE THE WHEEL! which I didn't think of the first time. heh

obviously i taped up the valve stem too, just forgot to take a pic afterwards. just wrap a quick strip of tape around it and make sure it's a tight fit, allowing paint to pass around the stem.

now set the index cars in between the lip of the wheel and the tire where the bead meets basically. they'll just set right in. make sure they overlap so they do not allow any paint to pass through onto the tire itself.

prime it! follow the directions on the can. every paint i learned is different. krylon itself says to apply a coat every 1 minute while priming or painting. it says it dries to the touch in 10 minutes, and you'll be able to handle in an hour. spray it down good applying anywhere between 4-6 coats evenly on the wheel.

· Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
now you've got both wheels primed in their 4-6 coats, let them sit for about 30-40 minutes. dry enough to hold the paint. once you feel they're dry enough to handle it, let'em have it! follow about the same steps on the paint as you would with prime. wait about 1 minute for every coat be generous, but spread it evenly, you don't want runs or trash (bubbles and such) in the paint. you want it to be a nice and even coat. if you do end up with larger than life bubbles, trash or runs in the paint. allow to dry for a few hours and start sanding again. don't let that happen!

now....while that dries. begin on the other(s)!!!

once you're all done with the paint and happy with what you've produced. let them dry for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. once they do, start the clear coat process. like before, follow directions on the can. patience is a virtue, especially when it comes to paint and YOUR CAR! spread it evenly and generously, i did coats again every 1 minute. allow them to dry for another 1-1 1/2 hours.

while they dried, i had a little side project:

since they were red once before.
after an hour or so, test their handle in an inconspicuous place on the wheel, because if they're not dry enough YOU WILL LEAVE A SMUDGE MARK!

once they're dry and you're me, mount the wheels up and lather/rinse/repeat! if you take your time and do things right, you'll come up with what you'd hoped for! (and +1 for iPhone pics!!!!)

have fun guys!

· Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=142143.msg3062782#msg3062782 date=1239854487]
:popcorn:

ok where is part 2 & 3 ?? :lol:

:eekno:

Looks good so far, I hope you taped up those inserts really well and made a clean line.

[/quote]

ahhh fail. i was worried about everything going in one post, figured i'd kill the forum with all the pics uploaded in one post haha

· Registered
7,859 Posts
Looks good, but now how I paint.

I take days for projects.
Wet sanding first.
I let primer dry for 24 hours.
wet sand and do it again.
Final color I put on first light coat, dry for 2 to 3 hours, wet sand.
Apply a medium coat, dry & wetsand then final top coat.
Let that dry overnight, then I apply clear coat medium.
Dry for 1 hour then a final gloss coat, let that dry for 24 to 48 hours and then handle.

This is mainly for plastic pieces, but I would do wheels the same as well, all depends on how much time you have I guess.

· Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=142143.msg3062954#msg3062954 date=1239859407]
Looks good, but now how I paint.

I take days for projects.
Wet sanding first.
I let primer dry for 24 hours.
wet sand and do it again.
Final color I put on first light coat, dry for 2 to 3 hours, wet sand.
Apply a medium coat, dry 7 wetsand then final top coat.
Let that dry overnight, then I apply clear coat medium.
Dry for 1 hour then a final gloss coat, let that dry for 24 to 48 hours and then handle.

This is mainly for plastic pieces, but I would do wheels the same as well, all depends on how much time you have I guess.
[/quote]

yah defenitely don't have that kind of time on hand but i hear ya.

[quote author=Initialjoe link=topic=142143.msg3062970#msg3062970 date=1239859781]
Nice writeup, thanks! I think I am going to do this on my rims...although I will be painting silver to black. How durable do you think the Krylon paint will be?...like how long do you expect it to last?
[/quote]

honestly there's no telling, could last a year, maybe 2. if anything starts going on before these get anodized, i'll let ya know.

· Registered
81 Posts
Recommend this to be a sticky. Nice write up. i will probably be taking this project on when I get back to guam.

· Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
been painted for a while, gone through mud, pressure washed the car several times and enough tire shine to kill someone. they still look great!

as far as flat colors go, just use a flat based paint. no clearcoat.

· Registered
258 Posts
[quote author=vip997 link=topic=142143.msg3549190#msg3549190 date=1266331277]
Great write up? im assuming they are not as glossy and smooth as they came from the factory? thinking of going gunmetal grey on my stock rims for my black m3
[/quote]

i was thinking of going gunmetal grey on my stock snowflakes too actually. did u ever do this btw? pics?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.