Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is our mostly useless How-to for painting your center caps. This came out of pure boredom as a friend and I thought what else we could do to my car that’s basically free. :) We settled on painting my stockerz black but that is a more time intensive process so we settled on the Mazda badge inside of the center caps. Just a li’l bit of flair, right? This is for people looking to put a li’l bit of color onto their wheels.

Items Required
Jack / jack stands
A partner-in-crime
Consistent heat source
Spray Primer
Colored Paint

Step 1:
Jack up the car. This is pretty self explanatory.

Step 2:
Take off wheel

Step 3:
Pop center caps out (look from the inside of the wheel and just pop it out, I used my finger)

Step 4:
Look on the inside of the center cap, and pop off the 4 little tab/prongs. This should dislocate the Mazda badge from the center cap.

Step 5:
Use Krylon Fusion spray-paint
Buff the Mazda badge until it’s clean. Then lay your primer over it

(It was 20*F, dark, and snowy so we used a small space heater to quicken the drying process.) It is very important to let primer set, so take your time with this.

-^* After about 10 minutes *^-
Spray your freshly primered badge with your colored spray.

After this, proper heating/drying technique will give the paint smoothness. We used an
oven and then got kicked outta the house so we used an open grille as a heater. Lol. GIVE YOUR BADGES PLENTY OF TIME TO DRY!

Step 6:
Pop your super awesome badges back into the center caps. Put your center caps back into your rims and then reverse order your ass until your rims are back on the car and the jacks are safely stowed away. Here are some finished products. :)

Make sure to torque those bolts down!

Enjoy.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
What year is your Mazda, when I had my center caps off my 04 the badge did not seperate like yours it was all one pice molded into the cap. I had to dremel mine out for a custom project.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=Fiji Mazda3 link=topic=134695.msg2896652#msg2896652 date=1233181602]
I wouldn't put the jackstands underneath the side skirts like that either.
[/quote]
Why? I used the proper mounting points. On each side of the car there are two spots under the car provided for jack placement. Near each wheel.

·
Registered
396 Posts
his profile says an 08, the car looks black, so why paint the center logo what looks like a bright blue, and one lug nut as well?? what's up with that??

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
[quote author=jimp link=topic=134695.msg2954406#msg2954406 date=1235351136]
his profile says an 08, the car looks black, so why paint the center logo what looks like a bright blue, and one lug nut as well?? what's up with that??
[/quote]

Upon closer inspection the blue lug looks to be a lock lug, different from the rest.

As for the color choice I have no clue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
wow...that is too much torque for the lug nuts...you should not have to torque them down with all your weight as that will shred the threads...

·
Registered
81 Posts
you think these embles are attach in a similar fashion with MS3 rims?

·
Registered
106 Posts
How are these holding up in comparison to the bleach method

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=MX6 link=topic=134695.msg3337521#msg3337521 date=1253729677]
How are these holding up in comparison to the bleach method
[/quote]
Just checked this thread for the first time in well, ever. They lasted until repainted them matte black. I found the Bleaching method to be overkill, I did my exterior emblems (flying M, 3 mazda, etc.) badges in a similar manner and they still look great after over a year of every day abuse.

·
Registered
70 Posts
+1

·
Registered
557 Posts
I know it was a joke but fyi if someone doesnt have a torque qrench, get a pvc pip or a stell pipe thats longer and or wider than the wrench and use that. slip it over the wrench and you can use your strength to ge the lugs on and off. when i foudn that out it was like "eureka!!"

·
Registered
583 Posts
ok so im painting my stick rims and I wanted to take off the mazda sign and paint the center cap black but i cant get it to pop off....ive tried everything to get it off and it just wont come off. Has anyone done this with any tips on how to get it off easier??

·
Registered
173 Posts
[quote author=michaelallaire7 link=topic=134695.msg3621379#msg3621379 date=1271534194]
ok so im painting my stick rims and I wanted to take off the mazda sign and paint the center cap black but i cant get it to pop off....ive tried everything to get it off and it just wont come off. Has anyone done this with any tips on how to get it off easier??
[/quote]

Hey i had the same problem.... when i did mines.... ok heres what i did. i took a screw driver the one tahts like a "minus sign" and pushed those 4 tabs out, once i get one out. i used like an old credit card to slide the achual emblem out.
I had like 2 of them that were achually impossible to punch out... i was literally sweating my a$$ off. but the other 2 were achually very easy to punch out.

gl

1 - 20 of 30 Posts