Mazda3 Forums banner

281 - 300 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thank you guys for your inputs.
Here is my engine. I think it is the same as the US version ?
Looks the same to me! The LF engine has the two valves for the IMRC and Tumble Valves on the "right side" as you look at your picture, instead of in the front on top of the intake manifold. The 2.3L has them in the front. You need to keep your two valves along with the mounting bracket, vacuum tubes, and the IMRC vacuum actuator that has an electrical connector. The other vacuum actuator doesn't have an electrical connector so you can keep the one that comes on the new engine.

I put new blue vacuum hoses on my valves and took these pictures. After that I discovered one of my two valves was bad, and it was the one that you can't buy separately. You can only buy the other one separately (for $50!). It turns out, you can buy the entire assembly which is a new bracket plus both valves for $50.

Attachments

·
Banned
771 Posts
The compression values only suggest the next step should be done which is a leak down.
If you don't do this you may be spending more time and money needlessly. The leak-down test will confirm the engine (short block/lower end ) or head(upper engine) is your issue.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I use the website oemautopartz.com to look up part numbers and get an idea for how much an OEM part should cost at a discounted price. I then do a google search to see if I can beat the price from oemautopartz (Browning Mazda in California) because anything from them includes a shipping charge of $20. You should be able to find the part number for your 2.3L oil pan from there, but here is what I have in my notes. Not sure if it is correct for the exact engine you are buying.

Oil pan (2.3L) L3N5-10-400C $253.47 Fits 3S 07-09 2.3L; 5S/T/GT 08-10 2.3L

For the TB, are you trying to put a TB from a 2.5L engine on a 2.3L IM?

All will work with your wiring harness and ECU.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Since the new engine from Mazda6 I can say:
-No need to replace the timing cover
-The cranck pully from 2.0 engine
-Oil pan from 2.3 (what about the oil stick?)
-2.5 TB + IM (without mods ?)
-All sensores from 2.0 engine
-All witing and harness 2.0 will be used.
-The ECU will adapt to the new parameters and I will take all of 2.5 power (don’t know if any of you did a dyno test after the swap).

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
You will need the timing tools for this engine if you are going to swap the crank pulley, there is no keyway on the crankshaft or camshafts so if you don't have the tools an know what you are doing you can ruin the valves on the new engine. The crank pulley bolt is one time use so you will need a new one of those and I believe there are special friction washers that need to be replaced as well if you do this.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Oil pan + oil pickup tube + dip stick have to all remain together for an engine (2.0 or 2.3 or 2.5) or manufacturer (ford or mazda).

I don't know how the 2.5 TB + 2.5 IM will do with a 2.3L engine. And that will affect your choice of fuel injectors. Why do you want to buy these extra components when you are getting a 2.3L engine? Maybe I'm missing something.

Don't use all your sensor from the 2.0. Use as many as you can from the new engine.
Oil sender unit might be ok (it is not ok from a Ford engine)
EGR valve ok from new engine
MAP sensor ok from new engine
Ckp sensor - keep old one
VVT solenoid ok from new engine
Knock sensor ok from new engine
Cmp sensor should be ok from new engine
ECT sensor not sure - try the new one since it is Mazda (if using a Ford engine you have to use the Mazda sensor)

That's a pretty good starting list. Some people have the attitude of "if in doubt, switch it out". I prefer "use the new one unless it doesn't work" except that doesn't rhyme even if you try.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've done 2 of the 2.5 swaps and they both went great. It's definitely more involved than just dropping in another mazda engine but it's nothing too crazy if you follow all the steps carefully.

The 2.5 swap is very popular on MX5s and AFAIK they run it just fine on the 2.0's ECU as well and I don't remember reading about it requiring a flash to work properly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I will swap 2.0 to Mazda 2.5 (mazda6 /cx7), will the 2.5 IM with IMRC work with my ECU ?
Should I replace the timing cover or just the crank pulley ?
Will the air filter box pipe bolt on the new 2.5 TB inlet ?
If I repalce the 2.5 oil pan aith 2.3 pan, will the AC comp bolt on same as with 2.0 ?
Do the 2.5 oil pan from Mazda3 2.5 2010+ work with my AC compressor or I should only use 2.3 ones ?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I will swap 2.0 to Mazda 2.5 (mazda6 /cx7), will the 2.5 IM with IMRC work with my ECU ?
Should I replace the timing cover or just the crank pulley ?
Will the air filter box pipe bolt on the new 2.5 TB inlet ?
If I repalce the 2.5 oil pan aith 2.3 pan, will the AC comp bolt on same as with 2.0 ?
Do the 2.5 oil pan from Mazda3 2.5 2010+ work with my AC compressor or I should only use 2.3 ones ?
My Ford 2.5 had the compressor mounted to the back of the engine. I looked up some used Mazda 2.5 pans on Ebay and they don't have mounts for the compressor so you will probably have to reuse your pan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-10-2010-11-2011-12-2012-13-2013-Mazda-3-2-5L-Engine-Oil-Pan/192610839535?fits=Year:2010|Make:Mazda&epid=1584225163&hash=item2cd8802bef:g:oT4AAOSwuXNbW43s

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quick question-I'm in the middle of doing my swap and have hit a snag. I bought my car (05 2.3, 5spd) as non-running car. I'm talking a hole in each side of the block and 1 in the pan. I ordered a new pan, but never thought of the oil pick up. I pulled the old pan off last night to swap out the oil pick up, and found that it was damaged too.
Is it necessary to change that out or can I keep the pick up from the 2.5? I've only read in a few places that I need to swap it out.
Thanks

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quick question-I'm in the middle of doing my swap and have hit a snag. I bought my car (05 2.3, 5spd) as non-running car. I'm talking a hole in each side of the block and 1 in the pan. I ordered a new pan, but never thought of the oil pick up. I pulled the old pan off last night to swap out the oil pick up, and found that it was damaged too.
Is it necessary to change that out or can I keep the pick up from the 2.5? I've only read in a few places that I need to swap it out.
Thanks
D1gger,

What kind of 2.5 did you get? Are we talking a Ford or a Mazda engine?

If you obtained a Ford engine, you must keep the oil pickup tube with its corresponding oil pan. A pickup tube from a different motor will not fit a Mazda 2.3 pan due to the difference in the oil pan baffles. Now, if you bought a Mazda 2.5 motor, then I don't know.

I do know the oil pickup tube between a Mazda 2.0 and a Mazda 2.3 are not compatible. And the oil pickup tube between a Mazda 2.3 and a Ford 2.5 are not compatible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the info. It's a Ford 2.5, out of a 2009 Fusion.
I'm only finding pick up tubes for 07 and up for the 2.3. Would those work for me?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks for the info. It's a Ford 2.5, out of a 2009 Fusion.
I'm only finding pick up tubes for 07 and up for the 2.3. Would those work for me?
Doesn't look like it. Use a better website to find part numbers for your car like oemautoparz.com or tascaparts.com.

2005 oil pan LF50-10-400j
2005 oil pickup tube L372-14-240

2007-13 oil pan L3K9-10-400H
2007-13 oil pickup tube L3G6-14-240B

I'd pair up an '07 pan and tube since they might be cheaper than an '05 pan and tube. And likely way easier to find since the same p/n covered 7 years of Mazda 3. Might even be able to find both at a wrecking yard or at a use parts place online.

If you buy a used pickup tube, wash the bejeebers out of it. Back flush that sucker really well because you don't want any stay metal particles that got filtered out from the old engine getting into your new engine.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ha. I'm seeing '05 brand new pickup tubes for $45. '07 brand new pickup tubes for $25!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I bought oil pan L3N5-10-400C (fits '07-'09 Mazda 3s 2.3L) for $65 used from Elite Auto, Long Lake MN. That price included shipping.

2007-13 oil pan L3K9-10-400H must be a new&improved model that fits both the newer cars as well as the older cars. It's only a cover (like the timing cover). It just needs to have no cracks and a nice gouge-free gasket surface.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I think the 04-05 2.3L had a dipstick tube that went into a hole on the oil pan. The newer 2.3's and the 2.5 don't have this hole and have the dipstick going in through a hole in the valve cover. That said, if you did the swap and used the older pan you would either have two dipsticks or need to find a way to plug one of the holes. That would explain the difference in part numbers.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks for the info. I had already bought an 05 pan, so I guess I'll stick with the 05 pickup.
Definitely use the pickup that matches the pan. I don't remember which was which, but there was a half inch difference in length between the 2.3 and 2.5 pickups.

Reactions: D1gger
281 - 300 of 309 Posts