·
Registered
31,080 Posts
:dunno:
what links?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
As a vendor, I would say its not appropriate for Mods to tell people how to block ads from people that make this site possible with our own money. I can understand people wanting to block ads, but it should not be advertised by those running the forums.

Please don't hate me. :lol:

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote author=larryinfl link=topic=201787.msg4163472#msg4163472 date=1324395481]
As a vendor, I would say its not appropriate for Mods to tell people how to block ads from people that make this site possible with our own money. I can understand people wanting to block ads, but it should not be advertised by those running the forums.

[/quote]

Yeah, but when said advertising starts turning what you post into a giant advertisement, that's a bit out of hand. I didn't link to ebay, so why is it putting a link to ebay in my post? That's not cool. I'm not getting paid to advertise for ebay, so don't link that shit in my post.

If you want to advertise, fine, but do it in a tactful manner and not alter the words of the members of this forum.

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
[quote author=smokinAMD link=topic=201787.msg4163548#msg4163548 date=1324405893]
[quote author=larryinfl link=topic=201787.msg4163472#msg4163472 date=1324395481]

[/quote]

Yeah, but when said advertising starts turning what you post into a giant advertisement, that's a bit out of hand. I didn't link to ebay, so why is it putting a link to ebay in my post? That's not cool. I'm not getting paid to advertise for ebay, so don't link that shit in my post.

If you want to advertise, fine, but do it in a tactful manner and not alter the words of the members of this forum.
[/quote]

All this, right here.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
[quote author=smokinAMD link=topic=201787.msg4163548#msg4163548 date=1324405893]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wait, so it's actually changing the content of your post in order to add advertisements? Again none of this is showing up on my computers so I don't know what it ends up looking like.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[quote author=icspots link=topic=201787.msg4163621#msg4163621 date=1324413064]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wait, so it's actually changing the content of your post in order to add advertisements? Again none of this is showing up on my computers so I don't know what it ends up looking like.
[/quote]

Yep, for example if you say ebay, it links to ebay, if you say xbox 360, it links to one on amazon.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
So, some ad just floated across the screen. It wasn't embedded in the website, but it floated from the left side of the screen to the right side of the screen, and covered up what it floated over. It was one of those ads that you have to click "close" to get rid of. This better not be part of the forum, and it better not happen again!

·
Registered
36,000 Posts
hah! I'm gonna contact Tapatalk support and see if they'll port the mobile app to a desktop app. That way it'll load all my forums super fast and I'll never have to deal with this bullshit.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts

[/quote]

We don't hate you, and if we were talking typical, stationary banner ads with no sounds, then I would understand where you are coming from and agree with you. The problem is, lately advertisements have been showing up in places where they interfere with reading the forum, such as the AutoAnything ad that constantly blocks the bottom corner of the website and VigLink's in-text advertising turning our words into links to outside websites. If I didn't have AdBlock turned on our posts would turn into a minefield of links. Some websites I visit like Fark have a policy where you can complain to them about obnoxious/trojan-infected ads (like those seizure-inducing shaking ads that literally scream "YOU'RE THE 1,000,000th VISITOR!!!") and they will take it down and ask the ad provider not to display the ad on their website again. We've complained to the mods/admins about the obnoxious ads and they in turn have complained to the owners of this BBS. Sadly, the owners don't give a rat's ass about any of our objections.

I don't like having AdBlock turned on for websites that I want to support. However, when advertisement interferes with my enjoyment of a website and the owners won't listen, then I have no choice but to leave it on. Screaming "buy, Buy, BUY!!1!" in my face is going to make me less inclined to buy your product, not more inclined. It would not surprise me if M3F starts losing members if this shit continues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts