Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are pre-cut films bought from Rockblocker.com (Honostly, I would prefer a roll rather than pre cut tint sheets - for an easier install)

Install Guide:

Tools - cloth, rubbing alcohol, plastic peice (that comes with kit to take bubbles out and apply the tint film), a friend

Steps for pre-cut film:
1. Pop trunk - so that you can have easy access to edges. You will want to work with the center pieces first before the outter lights, they are easiest to apply.

2. Get available friend, have him/her to hold the opposite side/corner than you start at away from the lense.

3. Take plastic peice that comes with the kit, and press the tint against the lense in a backward and forward rubbing motion. Make sure there are no bubbles - if you happen to encounter bubbles, have friend peels back the film enough to where you can squeez the air out. FYI - There is one circle plastic extrusion on the inside lenses that will appear to be bubbles, so watch out. Also, there are two on each of the outside lenses.

FYI - When you get to the outter lenses, I found it easier to start applying the film to the most outward corners of the lenses.

Steps for roll of (Oracal) film:

1. Remove tail lights.

2. Cut peice of film for each lense that is about 3-5 inches larger perimeter of the lense.

3. Apply (see step 3 above). - Remember, this step will be much easier to do since you do not have to line up the pre cut film (because they arent pre-cut). The term that is used on this forum is "wrapped" for the tint, because that's what you are doing with the roll of tint.

4. Re-install tail lights.

Now you know how to install the films in both ways - precut and roll of tint films. If anything else is needed, don't hesitate to ask. 8)

Picture of final product (pre-cut RockBlocker film - 20%):

·
Registered
495 Posts
oooo lala

·
Registered
95 Posts
i did that to my car and it looks awesome

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
sorry for being such a noob... but i went to my local tint shop, and bought a whole crap load of tint film from them for real cheap. basically he had a big pile of scrap pieces from doing windows, and i bought what he otherwise would have thrown away. i think the worker actually pocketed the 10 bucks...

anyways, what do you do with the alcohol and cloth? i thought this needed water or something to apply...

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
ahh i c... thank you.

can i maybe use a heat gun to help it form to the curves of my light better? because the crap doesn't really stretch...

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
mann i did my reverse lights today (all i had time for) and it did not go very smoothly.. ripped through a couple, broke part of my taillight, got bubbles/creases/etc on them.

very frustrating stuff if your not patient. :lol:

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
unless there is anything else i should know, i completely give up with this. my reverse looks like ass (bubbles, creases, etc.) and the tails are IMPOSSIBLE to do without wrinkling them..

oh well, another 50 bucks down the drain.

ive tried over and over, practically bathed myself in all the alcohol/water ive sprayed on them, used credit cards, hair dryers, heat guns, 4 people, everything i can do. ill admit i suck at artsy stuff but my gawd.. props to anybody who can do this, i just had my last attempt. :x

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
lol sorry but honestly this is way harder than angel eyes..

im not very artsy but good lord.. this is the most frustrating thing ive done in a long time. makes me want to just break the taillamps only because they are the closest thing to me :p.

i should have paid a shop to do it.. now ill be out 100+ if i have them do it :x. nobody else here knows how to do it either..

this sucks.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
[quote author=BoostThat3 link=topic=72287.msg1918210#msg1918210 date=1197562304]
:rofl:

Only if you lived closer to me, young grasshoppa.
[/quote]

word. maybe this summer ill take a drive down there just for the hell of it. mack on the beaches, steal jakes car, you know.. the norm. :p

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, but it will look like crap and not last long. Window tint is made to be INSIDE of glass, which means it will not withstand the weathering it will take.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts