Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if there was a tutorial or walkthrough out there that shows the general public how to wire up subwoofers and an amp etc. to the stock audio system.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
You have two basic choices...

1. Find a sub amp that has high-level inputs. Then just tap either the front or rear channel speaker outputs and run those wires as inputs to the amp.
2. If you prefer to use a sub amp with RCA inputs, you still have to tap either the front or rear channel speaker outputs, but connect them to a line output convertor (LOC). Then connect the LOC to your sub amp with RCA cables.

With any setup, you'll also have to run a fused 0/4/8 ga wire (size of wire depends on power requirements of amp) straight from the battery to the trunk, assuming that's where you're putting the amp.

You could alternately put the amp under one of the front seats instead of in the trunk. That way you'd only have to run power wire that far (but will then need much longer speaker wire from the amp to the subs in the trunk).

You'll also need to run a "remote turn-on" wire to the amp, which is just any signal that only turns on while the car's power is on. The cigarette lighter power source works for this in our car, since it doesn't get power without the key in the car.

To do a clean install, you'll need to (at minimum) take off the door sills and pull up the edges of the carpet to run the wiring in the channel under it. You'll also need to partly take out the rear seat (it's actually very easy, just pull up on the foam for the rear cushions and it pops right out, giving you enough room).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use an Audio Control 3-way crossover that has 'balanced inputs' for the RCA. This allowed me to make my own RCA outputs on the back of the factory deck. I cut the speaker wires behind the deck and soldered RCA plugs for the front and rear and then just ran my RCA cables just like you would with an aftermarket deck that has RCA preouts. ;) Note: this will not work unless you have an amp or crossover that has balanced inputs.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=137071.msg2953998#msg2953998 date=1235335407]
You have two basic choices...

1. Find a sub amp that has high-level inputs. Then just tap either the front or rear channel speaker outputs and run those wires as inputs to the amp.
2. If you prefer to use a sub amp with RCA inputs, you still have to tap either the front or rear channel speaker outputs, but connect them to a line output convertor (LOC). Then connect the LOC to your sub amp with RCA cables.

With any setup, you'll also have to run a fused 0/4/8 ga wire (size of wire depends on power requirements of amp) straight from the battery to the trunk, assuming that's where you're putting the amp.

You could alternately put the amp under one of the front seats instead of in the trunk. That way you'd only have to run power wire that far (but will then need much longer speaker wire from the amp to the subs in the trunk).

You'll also need to run a "remote turn-on" wire to the amp, which is just any signal that only turns on while the car's power is on. The cigarette lighter power source works for this in our car, since it doesn't get power without the key in the car.

To do a clean install, you'll need to (at minimum) take off the door sills and pull up the edges of the carpet to run the wiring in the channel under it. You'll also need to partly take out the rear seat (it's actually very easy, just pull up on the foam for the rear cushions and it pops right out, giving you enough room).
[/quote]

Do you have to do the "big 3" (the engine ground, alternator to battery, battery to amp) deal or is just the battery to amplifier wiring fine? I just really want to get my system up and running

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
awesome, good to know because all im looking for is some subs and im installing the wiring in my car today with all but the subs =)

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
wiring a sub took me about 2 hours.. including hiding all the wires so its not visible at all....
im running 300w RMS JBL 12" :) i love it

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
oay, would you guys say you needed a different battery terminal for the cable to the amplifier and the regular battery cable? I just bought my subs, and Im just about ready to get wiring but I need to figure these out.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
i also fit a 4g wire without a problem on stock terminal :)

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
[quote author=Zabusa link=topic=137071.msg2988505#msg2988505 date=1236809871]
did you guys use ring adapters at the end of the wires?
[/quote]
yeap.. at least i did

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
[quote author=Zabusa link=topic=137071.msg2988505#msg2988505 date=1236809871]
did you guys use ring adapters at the end of the wires?
[/quote]

[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=137071.msg2988490#msg2988490 date=1236809595]
I was able to fit a 4-ga ring terminal onto the stock positive terminal securely, behind one of the stock wires, with no problem.
[/quote]

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
from what I understand, power wires down one side and audio wires down the other side of the car? Also, Where did you guys mount/ground your amplifier?

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
i grounded it to the spot where rear seats are bolted down.. i scraped the paint from there.. and grounded there... also 4g wire for grounding... sounds clear and nice :)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Can you (or anyone) post a picture of what the wired stock terminal looks like? like how did you connect the amp cable in the terminal?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
No prob :) I can take a pic of my setup tonight when i get home from work if you still would like one.

EDIT: it won't look exactly like yours though since i have a small lightweight racing battery.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts