Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
2008.5 SEDAN REAR BUMPER REMOVAL

Alright guys, I have yet to see a guide on here for removing the rear bumper on a sedan so I thought I might as well make one.

DO NOT TRY THIS WHEN IT IS COLD OUTSIDE. THERE ARE SENSITIVE PLASTIC PARTS YOU WILL BE NEEDING TO USE FORCE WITH TO TAKE THE REAR BUMPER OFF. PLEASE DO THIS ON A WARM DAY.

(Just as a quick note, I made this guide while putting my rear bumper back on, so basically I am reversing the steps for you. And I apologize about the lower quality images at first, my camera's battery died as I was almost finished up getting the bumper back together and I was forced to use an iPhone camera.:p)

TOOLS NEEDED:

• Philips Head Screwdriver
    Small Flat Head Screwdriver
    5/16" Wrench or Ratchet (Ratchet is easier trust me.)
    10mm Wrench
    Pliers, Scissors and Electrical Tape are optional. The only reason they are there is for what I was doing.)

STEP 1: REMOVE NEGATIVE TERMINAL FROM BATTERY

STEP 2: REMOVAL OF PLASTIC TRUNK TRIM PIECE AND TRUNK INTERIOR

It's amazing how the first step towards doing this is going to be the hardest. The plastic trim piece that needs to be removed is being held in by 4 poppers, and 4 clips that you can't see underneath the piece.

The first thing you want to do is remove the 4 poppers. If you can't get them out with your fingernails, then use the small flat head screwdriver to pull up the center part. There are two towards towards the top the piece and two more at the bottom facing inwards towards the inside of the trunk:

After you get those out it gets a bit tricky. The plastic trim piece slides upward. The clips are right underneath the area of the trim closest to the back of the car. What I did, was very carefully take a larger flat head screwdriver and work my way along the bottom of the trim, very carefully using just the right amount of force to pop up each clip. You do need to use some force here. There are 4 clips altogether:

After your done with that, take it out and work on removing the poppers holding the furry trim pieces on each side of the trunk. All that's holding them in are poppers.

(Better quality pictures now!)

STEP 3: REMOVING SCREWS IN EACH WHEEL WELL

You will be removing a total of 3 screws from each wheel well. Two are located on the underside of the bumper closest to the wheel and the other is located farther up in the fender. The two underneath the bumper are the ones we will be taking out first. The screw that is more towards the center of the car can be taken out with the 5/16" wrench. They are much easier to take out with a ratchet though so I would recommend using that instead. The other screw is a plastic screw that easily unscrews out. Then just take the plastic piece out that the screw screws into as well.

After those are removed you need to remove the screw in each wheel well. This can also be taken out with the 5/16" wrench or ratchet but I used the small Flathead screwdriver instead.

STEP 4: REMOVING THE TAIL LIGHTS AND SCREWS HOLDING THE BUMPER UNDERNEATH THEM

So now we gotta remove the tail lights. This couldn't be easier. First remove the plugs with the wires providing electricity to your tail lights. There is a little piece you push in on the reverse side of each plug that you can't see that you need to press, then just pull out the 2 plugs for each light. Now take your 10mm wrench and remove each of the shiny silver bolts holding the tail lights on. There should be 2 behind each tail light. The lights then won't immediately fall out. There is still another little piece more towards the edge of the car holding the lights from falling out. Just carefully pull from the side of the tail light closest to the center of the car back towards you and they should pop out.

After your tail lights are out you will need to take out 2 push pins on each side and 2 Philips head screws on each side from the area where the tail lights were. Very easy to do. Make sure to then take the push pin holders out as well. (NOTE: In the pictures, there is a white piece that you can also see, on your car, there will be a screw in it. I accidentally took that out thinking I needed to and then realized I actually didn't have to.)

STEP 5: REMOVING THE TWO PUSH PINS UNDERNEATH THE CAR

Again, easy-easy. If you follow the bumper underneath the car there are two long strips with push pins in them you need to remove. You can't miss them. They are the same exact push pins from the tail light area. Just use your small flat head screw driver to pull the top of them upwards and they come right out. Make sure to take out the plastic piece the pins go into as well.

STEP 6: PULLING OUT EACH SIDE OF THE BUMPER

The next step here is prepping the sides of the bumper so it will be easier to remove when we get it completely detached. As always, be careful with this. Pull on the bumper outwards and it should begin to pop out. There are 4 areas that need to come out so each side is loose.

STEP 7: FINALLY PULLING THE DARN BUMPER OFF!!!

Now that everything is set to go and all the screws are removed, it is time to finally take the bumper off. You will be pulling towards the back of the car to take the bumper off. As a note, be aware of your license plate light wire, you don't want to break it! There are 2 large clips that need to pop out and the bumper will then come off. I can't really descibe their locations so you will just have to look at the pictures below. You may need to use some force to do this. Just be careful and I would suggest going one clip at a time for this. After those are out, your rear bumper is off!

So basically putting the bumper on is just a reversal of the steps used to take it off. So enjoy and I hope this guide helps out a lot of people! :)

PLEASE NOTIFY ME FIRST BEFOREHAND IF YOU WISH TO POST THIS GUIDE ELSEWHERE

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU CAUSE TO YOUR CAR BY FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE. ALTHOUGH I CAN'T POSSIBLY SEE HOW YOU COULD, BUT WHO KNOWS...

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
Sticky'd for you.

On that note... I have taken my rear bumper off in cold weather (10 degrees to be exact) and it IS possible to do it without damaging anything... just not any fun.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for stickying this! LOL And why did you have to take it off in 10 degree weather? I was just taking mine off to fix the rattles from those trunk vents when I have my subs going. I have already broken one of the underside clips on the rear plastic trunk trim piece when I took it off and it was cold so I figured I would just warn people to do it when it is warm.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
I took off the rear bumper a few times on my old sedan -- rear clear reflectors... then rear smoked reflectors... among other things. Hahah. The reflectors were replaced during one of those 10 degree days.

:)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brrrrrr.... I would have just waited until it got warm out.:p I have been dealing with the rattle from those flaps for the whole winter but I would never have thought of pulling the bumper off in 30 degree weather haha. At least you didn't break anything though.

(And the sad thing is, I fix the rattle from those flaps with a crap load of electrical tape, and then my license plate starts rattling. So I fixed that, and now the whole friggin' underside of my trunk is rattling and so is my gas lid. It's like a never ending chain of rattles....!!!! :censored: )

·
Registered
644 Posts
thanks for posting this. i will definitely need to know how to put on and take off bcuz my rear bumper is really damaged from an accident. :???: :???:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks very much 360Spider!

Great guide, I'll be taking my bumper apart next weekend. Someone hit my car at a parking lot and ran off while I was shopping. My bumper popped of the pins that hold it in place on one side. :(

This guide will help me a lot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Out of curiousity does anyone know if the rear bumper cover is the same part for both sedan and hatch? I have an 08 3S hatch and all the parts I see online are listed "sedan"
The parts dept at mazda has not been too helpful either (no surprise I suppose, since I'm not buying it from them..)
Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
glad i came across this.. I've been thinking bout taking my rear bumper off to check out it since it was suppose to been hit before i got it. kinda felt they didn't do nothing right to fix it. i have a leak in my trunk and my light seem to be reseal. but thanx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts