1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Did you check the fuses?

·
Registered
782 Posts
cub4bearindiana managed to take the cigarette lighter bulb out. You might want to ask him how to do it. Here are his pics of the difference in size between the lighter bulb and the one that lights up the ashtray. The lighter bulb is a little bit smaller. Not sure where you would get that bulb though.

Original thread: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=67939.0

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
Mine went out last year. I was just going to replace the bulb. I called a dealer to see how much it was. He said you can not just buy just the bulb you have to buy the whole assy that bulb sits in which at the time was 20 something I think. He said as long as the car was under warranty still, it should be covered. I took it in and they replaced it for free under warranty :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
So, if the .25 cent bulb really is not available, the dealer replaced the entire $20.00 assembly, right? I'll bet they had some spare bulbs laying around. I ran into this same thing with the window switch lamps in my suburban. Dealer said they did not have the bulb available and that I would have to buy a $125.00 switch assembly to get the bulb. I went to the junk yard and got some out of a different switch.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's a Number 74 bulb,

If it's burned out take out the ashtray ( kendalf has a nice right up of this here http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=67471.0 )

Once you take it out look at the lighter ( There is a white piece of plastic covering the orange piece )

It is held on by two clips on each side. Key two tiny flat head screwdrivers to pull it off.

Then ( this part took me a few minutes ), you have to take the black housing that has the light in it off of the orange piece. This is held on by not two but 3! Clips. It's a bitch but if you work with it you will eventually get it off. Then just use the flat head screwdriver at an angle to take the bulb out. The bulb ( on the M3o6i has a little rubber piece over it that disperses the light more making your lighter not very bright ) I went ahead and tried a bunch of different LED's out to see what looked nice last night.

Amber = Bad ( the light doesn't show very well and it looks very dark
UV (purplish) = I originally thought this was going to be pimp but in the end it turned out crappy, too dark
White = (The light is more focused and the orange ring turns to a light tan color, overall not that great)
Green = (Dark can't see anything)
Blue = (This is what I ended up replacing it with because it kind of creates a dark dark Orange purple color, but not extremely purple and I would compare it more to a sunset, but I liked it so I stuck it in there.

The bulb I took out is all the way to the right and you can see the grayish film that is covering it. From the right the colored bulbs are from superbrightleds.com and autolumination.com

If you buy a super star led from autolumination (note that you will have to Dremel/sand/file down the edges of it because they are two large ( but you can get them to work, they are just a hassle )

·
Registered
782 Posts
Wow Rdk87, you weren't kidding when you said you tried just about every LED bulb that they carry! :shock:

·
Registered
656 Posts
[quote author=-Mazda3GT- link=topic=69014.msg1217215#msg1217215 date=1171920523]
i want a WHITE set of bulb for car. So any recommend?
[/quote]

You mean you want to replace all the filament bulbs in your car with "white" led's?

And what kind of white?

Lunar White ( the clean white with a very slight appearance of a blue tint )

Or plane white similar to the stock bulbs?

and when you say set? do you mean links to the pictures of where you can buy the recommended bulbs?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[quote author=Rdk87 link=topic=69014.msg1217288#msg1217288 date=1171921983]
[quote author=-Mazda3GT- link=topic=69014.msg1217215#msg1217215 date=1171920523]
[/quote]

You mean you want to replace all the filament bulbs in your car with "white" led's?

And what kind of white?

and when you say set? do you mean links to the pictures of where you can buy the recommended bulbs?
I want those bulb installed in your car. Where you get them? Waht kind of bulb?
[/quote]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote author=Rdk87 link=topic=69014.msg1217288#msg1217288 date=1171921983]
[/quote]

And what kind of white?

I mean those bulbs installed in your car. Where you get them? And wat kind of bulbs?
[/quote]

·
Registered
656 Posts
[quote author=Rdk87 link=topic=69014.msg1213965#msg1213965 date=1171741953]
It's a Number 74 bulb,

If it's burned out take out the ashtray ( kendalf has a nice right up of this here http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=67471.0 )

Once you take it out look at the lighter ( There is a white piece of plastic covering the orange piece )

It is held on by two clips on each side. Key two tiny flat head screwdrivers to pull it off.

Then ( this part took me a few minutes ), you have to take the black housing that has the light in it off of the orange piece. This is held on by not two but 3! Clips. It's a bitch but if you work with it you will eventually get it off. Then just use the flat head screwdriver at an angle to take the bulb out. The bulb ( on the M3o6i has a little rubber piece over it that disperses the light more making your lighter not very bright ) I went ahead and tried a bunch of different LED's out to see what looked nice last night.

Amber = Bad ( the light doesn't show very well and it looks very dark
UV (purplish) = I originally thought this was going to be pimp but in the end it turned out crappy, too dark
White = (The light is more focused and the orange ring turns to a light tan color, overall not that great)
Green = (Dark can't see anything)
Blue = (This is what I ended up replacing it with because it kind of creates a dark dark Orange purple color, but not extremely purple and I would compare it more to a sunset, but I liked it so I stuck it in there.

The bulb I took out is all the way to the right and you can see the grayish film that is covering it. From the right the colored bulbs are from superbrightleds.com and autolumination.com

If you buy a super star led from autolumination (note that you will have to Dremel/sand/file down the edges of it because they are two large ( but you can get them to work, they are just a hassle )

[/quote]

... :a: :a: :a: :a:

Every other light in your car take different sizes and all the sizes are found here.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=59597.0

Read the First Post ( and just match up the light that you want to change to the code you find on the website you are ordering from. )

·
Registered
656 Posts
[quote author=3SDriver link=topic=69014.msg1687276#msg1687276 date=1188867618]
Not so sound like a broken record, but is the ashtray light and the lighter light both #74 bulbs? :?
[/quote]

:goodjob:

Yes

( on my 2006 that is )

I doubt they would have changed that though in the 2007 or 8 etc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts