Mazda3 Forums banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
This issue just happened to me as well, albeit self inflected from over torqueing a garbage KYB nut that came with a replacement shock mount. Mine was rear driver's side, right hand stud, with about an inch left from the top of the stud to the sheared off end.

I chose the drill out route using a regular 18 volt hand drill and cobalt bits. My car is the sedan, so I had to use a 90 degree adapter for the drill thanks to limited trunk space. I also drilled from the under the car once a pilot hole was through the stud from the top. I drilled a 5/16 hole and used a 44mm long M8 x 1.25 grade 10.9 bolt as a replacement. I used two washers, including a 1 inch wide one, under the head of the bolt to spread force across the drilled out head of the stud in the event the drill through left it structurally compromised. So far I have elected not to glue / weld the bolt in place for easier removal in the event this fix doesn't work permanently. The reattached mount looks properly aligned and nice and flush with the top of the wheel mount.

So far no problems from test driving. Has anyone else who has performed this fix experienced any problems since? Also thanks to those who posted their experiences with this. I don't think I would have attempted a fix without the advice here.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts