Mazda3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guide will hep you to do a quick drain and fill / flush of your ATF fluid on an Automatic.

Tools Needed
1- Drain pan / container
1- Ratchet
1- 10 MM Socket
1- 3/4 Socket
1 - Pliers (not shown )
1- 4 to 6 feet of clear 3/8th
I.D. Hose ( 25 cents/ foot at Lowes) ( not pictured )
1- Drill ( Optional )
Used to remove 10mm bolts faster.

Fluids
3 to 9 quarts of Mercon V
3 Quarts of Synthetic Mercon V
(Optional for last 3 quarts )

Difficulity - Medium

Time - 30 to 45 minutes

Step 1 - Begin by first putting your car up on ramps or on a lift.
I used ramps and 2- 2 x 4's - my car is lowered.

Step 2 - Remove splash guard under car.
There will be 7- 10 MM BOLTS
Use your ratchet and 10mm socket to remove them.

Step 3 -Locate the drain plug on the back of the transmission pan.
This is on the drivers side.

Step 4 - Place a plastic bag behind the transmission and cover your
front suspension, this is vital to keep fluids from going everywhere.

Step 5 - Place your drip pan or bucket under the drain bolt

Step 6 - Remove the drain plug / Bolt with your 3/4 socket and ratchet, be careful not to loose the metal washer as you remove the bolt.

The fluid will come out very fast.

Step 7 -(optional) Start the car with the break pressed firm, put it into R,N,D and then back to park, this will help more fluid to be released.

TIP - Let the fluid drain for 10 to 15 minutes until it stops dripping, get out as much as you can.

Step 8 - Replace the drain plug, wipe of excess fluid from around the plug.

Step 9 - Put in 3 quarts of the cheap Mercon v Fluid for your first fill / flush.

TIP - Pour very slow, and hold the funnel so a small gap is visable, this will allow the fluid to pour down the fill spout easily.
You also might want to place a rag around the spout.

Step 10
- Locate the Factory Trans / oil cooler and remove the Drivers side hose as pictured. Have your pan ready to catch some fluid from this hose.

Step 11 - Attach clear 3/8 I.D. tube to fitting so the fluid will drain out.
If you get the correct size hose it will fit. I purchaced 3/8th O.D. by mistake.

Tip - Make sure the hose is tight and the other end is inside the drain pan or container.

Step 12 - Start the car, press firmly on the brake. Shift into R,N,D and back to park 1 to 2 times. This will allow 3 quarts to pour out fast.

Step 13- replace hose and clamp

Step 14- Repeat steps 9-13 if you want to flush out another 3 quarts.

Step 15 - Now add in your last 3 quarts of ATF Mercon V fluid.

Step 16 - Replace ATF dipstick, make sure your drain plug and hoses are tight.

Step 17 - Start car and make sure there are no leaks, then back off the ramps or lift.

Here is the old ATF fluid, mine was done at 43k miles and was dark brown.

Be sure to recycle your Trans fluid at a Auto parts store like Autozone or Advance. Every city also has a Chemical waste dump area.

Enjoy your new Fluid & feel the difference.

For a more detailed walkthrough see this post below :

http://www.flex-innovations.com/atx_flush.htm

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
looks like we were both busy this weekend. Good job!

What I did - Inlet / Condenser / Rear Reflectors Tinted / Rear Center Light Tinted / Cleaned up the Engine Bay

Tomorrow - Well you know what is going on then! ANd lots of electronics inside to do also.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This drain and flush was well worth it, did not take long.

After I was done I then found 4 quarts of the Mobil 1 Synthetic at Wal-Mart for only $4 a quarts, I paid 7.92 each at AutoZone.

The Coastal was only 3.99 each.

Next will be the Power steering fluid, that should be quick, will get to that this week as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You had a great time to install a trans cooler at the same time. Have you thought about doing that as well? There is a write up on here for that as well, he also did the drain flush at the same time too.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=bustednutz link=topic=138381.msg2982431#msg2982431 date=1236564791]
You had a great time to install a trans cooler at the same time. Have you thought about doing that as well? There is a write up on here for that as well, he also did the drain flush at the same time too.
[/quote]

I did not have the funds and I was on a deadline to get this done.

That thread is where I got my modivation from.

Here it is - http://www.flex-innovations.com/atx_flush.htm

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=bulletcatcher829 link=topic=138381.msg2982863#msg2982863 date=1236580762]
you said to get some clear ID hose, and you got 3/8" OD by mistake. Did you use 3/8" ID?
[/quote]

I used it, see the pic, I had to cut it open = hold it in place.

You need 3/8 I.D. hose to fit correctly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have used '05 3, i check the atf level, color and smell once a week and it's always been good, car drives good no jerky shifts or slips. I've put on around 5500 miles since i got the car and i would like to do a drain/re-fill because i don't know how long ago the previous owner did it. my question is, since i don't know what type of fluid is in there (i assume something mercon v compatible) is it ok to do a drain/re-fill with the mobil 1 syn atf and allow it to mix with whatever the previous owner had in there?

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=the_rainman link=topic=138381.msg3014197#msg3014197 date=1237915518]
i have used '05 3, i check the atf level, color and smell once a week and it's always been good, car drives good no jerky shifts or slips. I've put on around 5500 miles since i got the car and i would like to do a drain/re-fill because i don't know how long ago the previous owner did it. my question is, since i don't know what type of fluid is in there (i assume something mercon v compatible) is it ok to do a drain/re-fill with the mobil 1 syn atf and allow it to mix with whatever the previous owner had in there?
[/quote]

You should be fine, Mercon V comes in our cars and the Mobil 1 Synthetic works with it just fine.

Just do a drain and refill with 3 to 6 quarts of another brand ATF Mercon V first, then add the Mobil 1 ATF as your last 3 quarts for the final fill.

·
Registered
22 Posts
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=138381.msg3014206#msg3014206 date=1237915915]
[quote author=the_rainman link=topic=138381.msg3014197#msg3014197 date=1237915518]
[/quote]

You should be fine, Mercon V comes in our cars and the Mobil 1 Synthetic works with it just fine.

Just do a drain and refill with 3 to 6 quarts of another brand ATF Mercon V first, then add the Mobil 1 ATF as your last 3 quarts for the final fill.
[/quote]

this is for the flush right? if i just wanted to do a drain and refill the mobil 1 syn looks like it will be okay. thanks a lot man for the prompt response

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes you could just do a drain and refill, just make sure you let it drain for a while until it stops completly, make sure you drain it from the drain plug and the front hose as well. Just follow my directions.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Something to note -- I have a 2006 with the 5-speed ATX, and I don't have a drain bolt on the backside of the tranny pan like yours. Mine is located on the bottom of the pan, towards the front on the driver's side, and you need a big hex key to remove it (it has a flat head that ends up being flush with the bottom of the pan, and a hex head indent in it). I can't remember the size of the hex key you need, but it's certainly bigger than what comes in a normal pack of the L-shaped ones. I ended up buying a set of like 8 T-shaped metric hex wrenches, worked great.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello, I just wanted to get a little more detailed explanation on step 10. When I tried doing a full flush (my first DIY ever) a few months ago, I had a trouble pulling the hose out (with just my bare hands), so I skipped it. I went over the other guide and the OP said he lubed the hose before pulling it out. I guess my question is with your method of using the pliers, did you lube the hose before u pulled it out. And I'm also worried that I won't be able to put the hose back in after I pull it out. Any tips or info on this?

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=Mazda3.D link=topic=138381.msg3052072#msg3052072 date=1239420569]
Hello, I just wanted to get a little more detailed explanation on step 10. When I tried doing a full flush (my first DIY ever) a few months ago, I had a trouble pulling the hose out (with just my bare hands), so I skipped it. I went over the other guide and the OP said he lubed the hose before pulling it out. I guess my question is with your method of using the pliers, did you lube the hose before u pulled it out. And I'm also worried that I won't be able to put the hose back in after I pull it out. Any tips or info on this?
[/quote]

First use pliers to remove the pressure clip as shown, I then used a flathead screwdriver to loosen the hose at the edges, then it pulled right off, easily.
Just be careful not to pry to much at the hose and cut it, or worse yet slip and jab yourself with the screwdriver.

I just rocked the hose back and forth and it came off without problems.

Hose goes back on just as easy, as long as the pressure clip is about 2 inches back on the hose, then just open that clamp, put it back in place and release.

If you need more help, please PM me.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Hey all, dumb question, but I came back from the store with some quaker state Mercon V, and as recommended, I got some Mobil 1 synthetic aft. Doesn't say anything about Mercon V on on it though... is it still OK, or did I get the wrong stuff?

.... hmm after looking some more im scared I got the wrong stuff... bah, going to have to make another trip there >,<
I didn't see any mobil 1 there that said anything about MerconV though. According to CT's website, they dont even carry what I got. Here is what they say they have, but it doesn't say anything about mercon V either. [ link]. Any thoughts, before I risk ruining my tranny? :D

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[quote author=Cab0oze link=topic=138381.msg3070407#msg3070407 date=1240191534]
Hey all, dumb question, but I came back from the store with some quaker state Mercon V, and as recommended, I got some Mobil 1 synthetic aft. Doesn't say anything about Mercon V on on it though... is it still OK, or did I get the wrong stuff?

.... hmm after looking some more im scared I got the wrong stuff... bah, going to have to make another trip there >,<
I didn't see any mobil 1 there that said anything about MerconV though. According to CT's website, they dont even carry what I got. Here is what they say they have, but it doesn't say anything about mercon V either. [ link]. Any thoughts, before I risk ruining my tranny? :D
[/quote]

The picture in the link shows Mercon V right on the bottle and besides that Mobil 1 Synthetic is Mercon V approved, you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=138381.msg3070469#msg3070469 date=1240193558]
[quote author=Cab0oze link=topic=138381.msg3070407#msg3070407 date=1240191534]

[/quote]

The picture in the link shows Mercon V right on the bottle and besides that Mobil 1 Synthetic is Mercon V approved, you should be fine.
[/quote]Ohh, you're right, the link does say merconV... mine definetly doesn't read the whole thing 5 times. On mobil1.ca it says ford mercon and dextron III approved, so.... guess I'm ok? Thanks tekwatch :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Actually the Mobil 1 ATF available in Canada is only Mercon/Dexron III rated, it's not the same stuff available in the US.
Better choices in Canada are the Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF and Valvoline Maxlife ATF, both available at Walmart for much cheaper than Mobil 1 ATF. They are officially licenced Mercon V products, and also recommended by their manufacturers for use where Mazda ATF M-V is required.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[quote author=Artic Ice link=topic=138381.msg3071664#msg3071664 date=1240248678]
Actually the Mobil 1 ATF available in Canada is only Mercon/Dexron III rated, it's not the same stuff available in the US.
Better choices in Canada are the Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF and Valvoline Maxlife ATF, both available at Walmart for much cheaper than Mobil 1 ATF. They are officially licenced Mercon V products, and also recommended by their manufacturers for use where Mazda ATF M-V is required.
[/quote]

I had no idea, thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 20 of 253 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.