Mazda3 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 98 Posts
Discussion starter · #42 ·
[quote author=aragorn764 link=topic=101559.msg2202755#msg2202755 date=1207185076]
I am use to snow and ice trust me! what i am most worried about is the ''plowing'' effect
[/quote]

ohhh...well, the front is lower, but not THAT low! ;) if you're driving through snow deep enough to get a "plowing" effect (even with these springs), you're gonna have more important things to worry about! ;)

Hey all....sweet post. I just put on Cobb springs by myself with ZERO past experience working on a car. It was mostly smooth but took me quite a bit of time (mostly due to my lack of tools and experience). The scissor jack hack worked well as removing the strut was definitely the hardest and most frustrating part of the installation. I finally used a combination of the socket adapter in the gap technique with the scissor jack to get those pesky little struts off. I also got stuck after I took off the strut trying to remove the top allen bolt from the strut. Thanks to help from this forum (especially from midwestspeed3) I figured it out. Put the strut back in the support from above and "break" the bolt loose before removing the strut from the chassis. Be careful to only break the bolt and not completely unscrew it as the spring is under some serious tension. I am really happy with the springs, all of the float (I felt this most around corners when going too fast) is gone. The car handles like a high end sports car now...sweet. The only problem I have been having is that the passenger side rear endlink bolt has been coming loose. This makes a clunking sound as I go over bumps. I just tightened the bolt as much as I could with the simple allen wrench and torque wrench that I have. I can't seem to find an end point of tightness with the wrench...it keeps spinning. Any hints from anyone out there how to lock this bolt down? Thanks for the help Sacrilicious and all others.... :)

There is a good chance the nut is stripped or cross threaded. I just placed an order for a replacement nut, 4 bucks. The dealership did the damage when I took it in for the same clunking you are noticing. I was extremely pissed because it took a pipe wrench to muscle it off the endlink.

My suggestion is to take off the nut, inspect the nut and bolt for damage. If there is damage, get yourself a new nut and apply locktite, torque it to spec.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
[quote author=Saitech link=topic=101559.msg2232931#msg2232931 date=1208235784]
There is a good chance the nut is stripped or cross threaded. I just placed an order for a replacement nut, 4 bucks. The dealership did the damage when I took it in for the same clunking you are noticing. I was extremely pissed because it took a pipe wrench to muscle it off the endlink.

My suggestion is to take off the nut, inspect the nut and bolt for damage. If there is damage, get yourself a new nut and apply locktite, torque it to spec.
[/quote]

+1

sounds like you might have to replace that...=/

Just put my Cobb springs on this past Saturday. They look really good. The install took roughly 3 hours (taking our time) with clean up. Very good purchase highly recommended. They are starting to settle now-big diff over stock.

Follow up on the endlink bolt...I tightened it for the second time yesterday. I used locktite on it this time so hopefully it will stay put this time. I checked the threads and everything looked cool without crossthreading or stripping. Other than this I have been loving the look and feel of the new springs!

looks good man! Do you get any rubbing with those tires? What brand are they and do you like them? I am getting ready to replace mine.

no rubbing so far,tires are falken ze912, decent rubber very good in dry/wet, could be better in snow (i bought them for winter/fall)but overall for $ spent well worth.this weekend will be putting my sumer wheels on. 18/7.5 +42 offset on stock 215/45 tires

Discussion starter · #54 ·
[quote author=defylogik link=topic=101559.msg2286038#msg2286038 date=1209910233]
good writeup! i find that the big hammer is the lumberjacks choice for the strut in knuckle style fronts.

i bought one specifically for these tasks that i merely refer to as "bertha".

p.s. whats with the fd wheels? they look a little out of place :) jk.
[/quote]

haha...i really like the FD wheels, actually. i use them because they give a pretty decent ride and are actually rather similar to the stockers as far as steering response and whatnot. the only thing that makes me go hrrrm is the fact that they have a noticeably smaller tire diameter, causing the speedometer to be off by about 3mph at 60mph...=d

Discussion starter · #55 ·
[quote author=Eazy link=topic=101559.msg2297481#msg2297481 date=1210262821]
Here's a pic of the quarter trick to get the strut on and off easier:
[/quote]

ya, the quarter trick is a very good idea for taking the strut off. if i had known, i would have just used that instead of the ghetto scissors jack way...:D

haha...i really like the FD wheels, actually. i use them because they give a pretty decent ride and are actually rather similar to the stockers as far as steering response and whatnot. the only thing that makes me go hrrrm is the fact that they have a noticeably smaller tire diameter, causing the speedometer to be off by about 3mph at 60mph...=d
..not to mention that you're racking up about 5% more miles than you're really putting onto the car with the smaller diameter... :( Not a HUGE deal, but something to consider...

Discussion starter · #57 ·
[quote author=Nliiitend1 link=topic=101559.msg2298442#msg2298442 date=1210282314]..not to mention that you're racking up about 5% more miles than you're really putting onto the car with the smaller diameter... :( Not a HUGE deal, but something to consider...
[/quote]

yes, this is definitely a good point to make. if you're worried about running down your warranty faster, this would definitely set off some alarms. over 30k miles, it's a good 1500 miles sooner! :shock:

[quote author=jstassen link=topic=101559.msg2232640#msg2232640 date=1208229968]
The only problem I have been having is that the passenger side rear endlink bolt has been coming loose. This makes a clunking sound as I go over bumps. I just tightened the bolt as much as I could with the simple allen wrench and torque wrench that I have. I can't seem to find an end point of tightness with the wrench...it keeps spinning. Any hints from anyone out there how to lock this bolt down? Thanks for the help Sacrilicious and all others.... :)
[/quote]

If you go at it with an impact gun it'll tighten right up, you can also try the allen wrench idea but it would be pretty hard to get at it. I think it keeps spinning because the inside allen screw is spinning with the nut on the outside...If all else fails you can dab some blue loctite on it and ask the stealership to look at it for you.

For those of you looking to tackle this idea, the 3/8 ratchet drive idea works wonders with a rubber mallet or the quarter trick with the bolt. Saved me buckets of time when I installed this on my car today.

Pics of my install.

Attachments

Got my Cobb Springs in today. Going to be using this guide as the springs didn't come with any instructions in my box. Anyone else not get instructions?

They don't come with instructions. This how-to along worked wonders. Probably helped that I had swapped suspensions on my old car quite a few times.

Take your time with the install and it shouldn't be a problem. It will probably take longer than usual for you this time, but after that it will be like second nature.

Good luck!

41 - 60 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.