:eekcrazy:
How to change the color of your Gauge LCD V.1.1
:eekcrazy:​

«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»

Before starting this Mod read below!!!

Note: this was done on a Mazda 03i Touring (2006), If you have a different year
or a hatch, things on this write up may differ, keep this in mind.

Also if you F)(* up your screen you will have to buy another entire gauge cluster.

This is a simple and short how to as to how I went about changing my LCD screen on the gauge cluster from red to blue, you can make it virtually any color you want with LED's.

«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»

Difficultly ( out of 10 ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆'s):
If you have basic solder skills ( you've done about 50 joints ):★★★★★☆☆☆☆☆
If you have never used a solder iron: ★★★★★★★★★

«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»

Tools You Will Need
:fc: :fc: :fc:
1. A Dremel
2. A soldering gun
3. Solder
4. Patience and a steady hand
5. X-acto blade (optional)

:fc: :fc: :fc:​
«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»

Step One: Take apart your gauge cluster

For this just refer here-- I'm not going to write up another explanation

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=26798.0

«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»

Step two: Take your gauges apart

Refer to the same link above,

«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»

Step Three: Dremel off the plastic that is covering the 2 LED's under the LCD

The Led's are under the left side of the LCD screen (looking down from the top) you can see them, dremel the white piece of plastic covering them from the left side. I used an x-acto blade to cut off any extra plastic

«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»

Step four: Solder off the old RED led's
Note the polarity of the LED's before you take them off so you can match up the positive and negative on your new LEDs.

The little triangle cut out is the negative end--

Place the soldering gun at an angle and VERY carefully solder them off.

I went from one side to the other quickly in order to heat up both pads and then kinda nudged each one off.

«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»

Step five: Solder on the new LED's

Solder the new LED's on the same way you would solder on any led's making sure to not burn any components in and around the LCD screen.

This is a picture of the LED's after I soldered them on

These are the LED's I used (blue)

«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»
«««««««»»»»»»»»

Step Six: Enjoy your New COLOR Lcd screen. :frantic:

«««««««»»»»»»»»

PART NUMBERS

If you want to change them to blue

Blue - (model 1206)
Part #: 638-152BHC-AN1P22T

Order from www.mouser.com

You will need 2 LED's for the LCD SCREEN

Questions are as always more than welcome.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Excellent! Thanks for the write up RDK.

I didn't realize it would be such a destructive process... haha.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How to: Change your Odomoter LCD screen to (any color) ((with pic's)) (56K=N

[quote author=MZ3FRS link=topic=72736.msg1285534#msg1285534 date=1174619651]
Excellent! Thanks for the write up RDK.

I didn't realize it would be such a destructive process... haha.
[/quote]

Anytime MZ3FRS, Yeah the only other way would be to solder off every contact point ( about 60 on the top of the lcd screen and the bottom and take the whole thing off the circuit board... something that would be hard without either a wave soldering machine or one of those heat coil things that heats up the entire board... so naturally I just figured out the easiest alternative with the tools I had to get the job done. :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: How to: Change your Odomoter LCD screen to (any color) ((with pic's)) (56K=N

[quote author=Emotionswild3 link=topic=72736.msg1290125#msg1290125 date=1174857795]
so let me get this straight just 2leds light up the whole display?...
[/quote]

the WHOle LCD display ( yes and no )

2 LED's are for the back lighting, which illuminate it during the night.

LCD's use little pixels that have positive and negative charges to change like an on and off switch that indicate which area is black and which is white, so you can see them during the day w/o back lighting. But yeah. The entire LCD screen is illuminated with only 2 LED's

[quote author=Fox Fader link=topic=72736.msg1290129#msg1290129 date=1174857965]
may want to check your antifreeze.
[/quote]

Why?

EDIT: hahah .. no, I've discussed this before, but when I put the Needles back on, the alignment for the temp and gas are off. I plan on going back in over the summer and straightening them out. :)

·
Registered
18,697 Posts

that is so sexy!!!
looks a lot like the GTI.
i usually drive witht he orange on its lowest, and the blue at its brightest.

man make me one ;)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

[quote author=eurotuner link=topic=72736.msg1290229#msg1290229 date=1174861746]

that is so sexy!!!
looks a lot like the GTI.
i usually drive witht he orange on its lowest, and the blue at its brightest.

man make me one ;)
[/quote]

okay just get a gauge cluster off whatever car model / year you have and send it to me and money so I can buy the LED's and i'll do all the work for ya :p

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
[quote author=Emotionswild3 link=topic=72736.msg1290125#msg1290125 date=1174857795]
[/quote]

He is refering to the small LCD display only, not the entire cluster.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

[quote author=AutoXer link=topic=72736.msg1292091#msg1292091 date=1174933689]
[/quote]

He is refering to the small LCD display only, not the entire cluster.
[/quote]

I'm fully aware of what he is referencing, this entire write up is only about the LCD, I mention nowhere the number it takes for the gauges, or anything to do with the gauges.

So again, Step 3: ( IN THE TITLE ) will say exactly how many led's i used (for the whole display )...

yes it's 2

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
i was answering Emotionswild3 and when i said *he* i meant, *you*, you are referencing the LCD only....i thought he (Emotionswild3) may have been confused that the whole cluster was only 2 LEDs. I did notice you did not mention the gauges anywhere, but maybe because of that, he thought it was the whole cluster, i merely posted to try to help him out... my bad :squint:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

[quote author=AutoXer link=topic=72736.msg1293161#msg1293161 date=1174962194]
i was answering Emotionswild3 and when i said *he* i meant, *you*, you are referencing the LCD only....i thought he (Emotionswild3) may have been confused that the whole cluster was only 2 LEDs. I did notice you did not mention the gauges anywhere, but maybe because of that, he thought it was the whole cluster, i merely posted to try to help him out... my bad :squint:
[/quote]

:klavergreg:

Gotta love mis communications

:p

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just a warning to anybody thinking about doing this on an '07, it won't work. The LEDs are oriented differently and you can only access one of the solder points on each one. Also there are four of them. The only way I could see to do it would be to de solder the whole screen, and good luck with that. I guess mine will just have to stay orange.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

[quote author=EvilDeadFan link=topic=72736.msg1520431#msg1520431 date=1182925444]
That's crazy man, but good job. :D Oh noes! someone might notice the dremeled part in the junk yard in 25 years!!!
[/quote]
yea looking back on this, it really was a pain in the ass X_X

But since I already had the gauge cluster out, why not right :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
[quote author=Rdk87 link=topic=72736.msg1520645#msg1520645 date=1182947945]
[quote author=EvilDeadFan link=topic=72736.msg1520431#msg1520431 date=1182925444]
That's crazy man, but good job. :D Oh noes! someone might notice the dremeled part in the junk yard in 25 years!!!
[/quote]
yea looking back on this, it really was a pain in the ass X_X

But since I already had the gauge cluster out, why not right :)
[/quote]

I really wish I had been able to get this done, it looks sick. I even got the dremeling part done. I wonder if it's the "S" models with the unreachable LEDS or if it's an '07 thing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.