Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I know that someone will refer me to the carbuyingtips site. (THanks for the link for everyone who provided it, btw).
However, that site is more based on how the USA works, and all the links are to USA financing companies and what not.

I was wondering if people could give me tips and places and other information on HOW to buy a used car... cuz so far, all I got was:
1) BCAA inspection
2) Your own inspection/Test-drive
3) and... that's it?

Like, what's the equivalent of CarFax for Canada? Do we have one?
help!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I never bought a used car through private sale before.. but i've tried to sell my others cars privately.

They all seem to just do their own test driving.. then ask to take the car for BCAA inspection. Becoz i think the BCAA inspection is quite complete and you can probably get some opinions how reliable the car is from the inspectors there.

Most important is to find out if the car has declarations/rebuilt engine, or out of town registration. If so, try to stay away from them, you will have troubles in the future, either the car has hidden problems or you would have a tough time selling it afterwards.

Also do a lien search to see if it still owes money.

Do some research on www.icbc.com, i think they have some information on buying a used car. And you can check the car's history using the serial number.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks folks :)

but I guess with buying a used car, ya take a risk...
then again, you could buy a new car and also take a risk cuz you could end up with a lemon, right?

and according to what I know, Canada doesn't have as strong lemon laws as the US?

·
Registered
147 Posts
dugrant: You're getting a used car?
What happened to the 3?
Do you have any cars in mind?

Just curious because my love for the 3 has somewhat diminished and I am looking to buy a used car also.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Merciles said:
dugrant: You're getting a used car?
What happened to the 3?
Do you have any cars in mind?

Just curious because my love for the 3 has somewhat diminished and I am looking to buy a used car also.
hey Merciles,
in contrast, my "love" for the 3 has kinda grown because... well, I'll get to that in one second.

The only other car that I have in mind that I would buy used is the Subaru Impreza 2.5RS or TS. I'm a Subbie lover from the beginning, but that's mainly due to my addiction to WRC ... hehehe :)

The only thing is that these used Subbies do not come cheap. What I'm trying to do right now is see whether I can get a reasonably good used Subaru Impreza for LESS than the price of a Mazda 3 GX (which is 16,195). Most of the used Imprezas (1998-2001 models, the ones I want)I've seen are about $16,000ish or so... so I COULD get a used car or a brand new Mazda 3... I'd probably go new in this case.

I'm not in the market as of yet. In fact, I still have a long way to go... but I'm just keeping my options open :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
In my case, the 3 seems to be a car that will be seen at every block and street corner. Therefore I am rethinking now. The only reason I would get a new car is for the graduate rebate, but even for the 3 that is only $600. By the time I add up everything, the cost of the 3 seems to skyrocket to about $28000. This is assuming that I can actually get the 3 at msrp. The thing I hate most is the taxes. It'll be around $3000. IMO that is just too much, and not worth getting a new car anymore, so I am looking at used ones now.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Would you consider a used Matrix XR? Should be able to get one around 18K. It was my second choice.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FR3D said:
keep in mind that maintanence for Subaru ain't cheap either :)
Is that really the case?
and if so, why?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
dugrant153 said:
FR3D said:
keep in mind that maintanence for Subaru ain't cheap either :)
Is that really the case?
and if so, why?
I'm not sure about the 2.5RS/TS, but my frd's WRX is very expensive when it comes to maintanence, all the parts have to to be shipped over from Japan, and a friend of mine who's a mechanic told me AWD vehicles are more expensive to maintain

·
Registered
432 Posts
You might want to visit the Subaru forums for information on these cars. There might be people complaining about them so you will get ideas.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have. But just asking around and getting a general idea.
Sometimes one can get biased opinions. :p hehehe

This person says that, that person says this.

Could be all driver too :)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wonder if MZ3 parts will be cheap, though?

I know if you buy OEM Nissan parts, they can be super duper expensive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts