Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Please remember that if you do this mod, it is at your own risk.*

I'm fairly new to car stuff and was looking for easy things to do.

Decided to do this after seeing how clean the Parking Light Delete looked on the 1st Gen MZ3's. The bulb is a little different with 4 wire contacts at the base of the bulb instead of the 2 silver nubs shown on the walk through on the 1st gen. The walk through for that is at http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=124216.0

Here's a pic of the car with 35W 6000k HID lows and yellow tints on the fogs lights with the parking lights running.

Just to be safe, while removing the bulbs I had the positive cable removed from the car battery.

To get the bulbs out of the housing, I found that my hands were too big to do from inside the hood. So I had to open the paneling in the wheel well to get to bulb from underneath. There are 3 screws inside the wheel well and 3 screws underneath the front bumper. After that you should be able to reach your hand up and remove the bulb from the housing by gripping and twisting clockwise.

After removing the bulb from the housing you'll want to remove the bulb and cover the bottom inside wires with electrical tape.

After reinstalling the bulb make sure it's working before you try to put the bulb back into the housing. I used the caution blinkers and then turned on my lows. Hopefully this works for you, should be pretty simple to do. I feel like the lights look a lot cleaner with the amber lights gone now. Thanks for everyone that helped me out on the forums.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sweet deal! I'll be doing this soon. What exactly do you mean by "bottom inside wires"? Maybe a pic with an arrow pointing to it please?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=th00p link=topic=170855.msg3619188#msg3619188 date=1271381185]
Sweet deal! I'll be doing this soon. What exactly do you mean by "bottom inside wires"? Maybe a pic with an arrow pointing to it please?
[/quote]

I'm trying to explain what the bottom of the bulb looks like. To me they look like wires haha, but they're metal contacts. I'm just dumb in my terminology. If you look at the pic in the OP where I'm holding the bulb in my hand with the electrical tape already applied, you'll see on the outside the metal contacts with the inside 2 covered with tape.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Honestly I kind of like the parking brake light. Especially when you change it to LED..... But it still gives (IMO) a pretty good look to the front of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I ever get around to getting HID lights into the fogs I'll probably un-do this. But right now I'm digging the yellow of the fogs which sort of clashed with the amber.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just went ahead and did this, love the results.

Couple of things to keep in mind:

- Use enough electrical tape to cover the ENTIRE lead. I did it at night and in the dark and the piece I cut wasn't long enough, pretty annoying when I put the bulbs back in and they were still on. The tape may come loose since the bulb sits very tightly into the housing. So...

- Definitely check that the bulbs is working properly (cautions or turn signals) and not coming on with the high beams BEFORE you re-install it. I was able to shimmy my hand in and remove the bulbs without going from underneath, but it wasn't easy or painless. Doing it twice was even worse.

Should take about 5 minutes total (took me 20).

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool beans! Yeah once I got the lights loose the first time I didn't have to go from underneath anymore and can do it from the engine bay....with some pain lol. Glad you like the result though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
great how to! my very first mazda3 mod. not sure how you guys are getting to the bulb from inside the engine bay, it was impossible for me. going from underneath worked perfect though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just got this done today, was fortunately able to reach the bulbs without taking apart anything. Took about 3 minutes (the hardest damn part was cutting small strips of electrical tape) but works perfect! Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
just tried to do this today when I installed my HID's but I couldn't get them out from the engine bay. Ima have to go underneath. Those headlights will look soooo much better after this.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Did this awhile back and forgot to thank you Fugly, I do love the :2cents: mod, much better look at night.

Z

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just did this yesterday... All you have to remember is to turn them CLOCKWISE to get them out, and counter clockwise to get them back in. Once I read this I was able to get them out with one finger. And I have big hands too...

Just get a finger around the little ridge on the side. This pic shows the two ridges on the sides...

And as for the electrical tape, this pic is taken after. Cut one strip into 5-6 pieces length-wise and they will fit perfectly.

I hope this helps someone because there was no way I would have gotten the wheel housing off with my lack of hand tools...

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I only recommend doing this if you have HID headlights and fog lights (your iTouring doesn't have fog lights I assume). Otherwise I think the parking light look fine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I apologize for the stupid question - by putting electrical tape on bottom, therefore eliminating the connection of the lights, aren't you also disabling the turn signal / caution lights as well? You might as well remove the entire bulb correct?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, the turning signal and caution lights still work as intended. It just stops the parking light from being constantly on while your headlights are on at the same time. Also still works with the car alarm as well.

No turn signals would be so terribly bad and dangerous lol.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts