Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it has been FOREVER since I first said I was going post this up, but here it finally is!

There is still some testing I need to do to see if some of the parts can be transferred to the new bumper or if you need to buy the new part. But here is what I have so far, ENJOY!

BUMPER COVER SHELL:

04-06: Just as a reference to what the older style looks like

07-09: If buying a new bumper, most of the time, THIS IS ALL IT WILL BE.

GRILL:

04-06: This grill can be removed. Looks like the first picture.

07-09: This grill is molded to the bumper, BUT there is a black bracket behind the grill. That is why there is hole where the emblem should be.

EMBLEM:

04-06 (top, smaller)
07-09 (bottom, larger)

The newer style is slightly larger, and has 2 tabs on the bottom instead of just one.

BUMPER BRACKET SUPPORT:

04-06 (on the car)
07-09 (being held)

This is where I am unsure if the parts swap over. They are similar, but I haven't tried to put them on different bumpers

FOG LIGHTS:

04-06 (H11):

07-09 (9006):

The fog lights are different, and the type of bulb they use is different as well. Haven't attempted to swap it over, so I am unsure what needs to be done.

LOWER GRILL:

04-06: Pretty plain honeycomb, refer to first picture.

07-09: The one with the "mustache"

STYROFOAM:

04-06 (upper, no indent)
07-09 (lower, indent)

The newer style had an indent for the lower grill to sit in. Not sure if you can modify the older style to fit it, but it's worth a shot!

AMBIENT TEMPERATURE SENSOR: It is circled in red.

I don't know how it attaches to the newer bumper. With the older style, it has a bracket that attaches to the bumper. I'm thinking of just screwing it on the bumper support beam or something so I don't have to keep swapping it over and risk damage.

OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER:

Tow hook cover: not sure if it able to be used on both.

Undercover guard: I plan on using my old bumper in the winter, but these are able to be used on both. It would just make it easier for me to buy extras and save myself 20 minutes.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE feel free to comment and make suggestions! I'm not 100% about everything, so if you are, TELL ME!

ALMOST FINISHED PRODUCT:

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Not to bring this back from the dead of sorts, but to the OP (or anybody else), any status on the tow hook cover issue? After seeing this, I really am interested. :)

Also forgot to ask: anybody attempt this get the fog lights working? I assume some splicing and new connectors were required?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have been thinking of doing this swap, having a tough time finding a good deal on a front bumper, but anyway my question is, will this mod work with a 2006 3i Sedan? I only ask because your original bumper looks drastically different than mine. Thanks for any help ahead of time!

-Brenden

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
in theory it should, as long as you have corresponding foam for the bumper (or no foam I guess.. but then it'd probably fit like junk).

While the styling changed a lot on the fronts of the sedans; afaik everything behind them is the same (minus the foam of course).
That said, you have to stay with sedan stuff, can't go with hatch stuff... not without heavier modification.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok, so pretty much if I plan on doing this swap I should try and purchase all the foam and other items, due to the bare front "cover" that is mostly sold on ebay. I need to find someone who got rear ended so I can purchase the whole front end lol! I guess I can dream of that happening...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Ok, so pretty much if I plan on doing this swap I should try and purchase all the foam and other items, due to the bare front "cover" that is mostly sold on ebay. I need to find someone who got rear ended so I can purchase the whole front end lol! I guess I can dream of that happening...
That's what my plan is...if I ever do this. My issue would be on getting the new fogs wired up correctly. And the tow hook of course. Any ideas folks?

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's what my plan is...if I ever do this. My issue would be on getting the new fogs wired up correctly. And the tow hook of course. Any ideas folks?
Foglights are just lamps.
I can't imagine it being any more difficult than swapping connectors. Wiring to the connector should be identical

·
Registered
30 Posts
nice man that came out really good! i have an 06 hatch and ive wanted to do this to make it look more like a speed3. I might put it on the list to eventually do. what was an estimate of how much it all costed?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts