Mazda3 Forums banner

What Did You Do To Your Factory Audio System?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first of all, if this was already discussed, please redirect me. (I did search unsuccessfully.)

=> Now my question is: What is the output (wattage) of the system? More likely than not, IMO, the upgrade to the in-dash 6 disc will have a slight more power to it, but that is my opinion.

What is the specs on both of these syst if there is a difference.

==> Bottom line: Is the factory syst. basically powerful.... good enough to keep or would it be recomended to install amps and base-tubes etc?

I just need a good (basically average) sounding syst. that's all.

- Oh.. I also have another quest. about 'loaner' (another thread, I suppose for that).

·
Registered
947 Posts
The stock system with the 6-disk changer is a "good average" system. You won't need much more sound if you are the only one listening to the music and you can live without really deep bass. You can always agument it with a subwoofer later anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the 6 disc changer and it's seems adequate. I don't usually go beyond 20 on the volume, but it goes up to 32 or 33. I will be replacing the 4 stock speakers with Infinity Kappas shortly. I figure I can add things piecemeal, like an amp or sub later. But chances are probably not.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Below average compared to what?

It's among the better OEM systems I've heard.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm.... definitely some mix responses there.

No spec on the output of the power/wattage?

Maybe I could tell from that point if it's really above or below or just average at best.

·
Registered
137 Posts
bass is pretty weak. subwoofer and amp would probably be the only things i'd get. i have the 6-disc package.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Imo, the stock system (whether its 4 or 6 speaker) sounds like crap. Yes, to some it will suffice.. but to most people, its not all that. The system is 25w x 4, which provides no mid bass or enough clarity.

You get what you pay for. It is better than most OEM systems in our price range.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It IS very weak.....low bass tone quality.......cheap sounding IMO....but I guess I was spoiled by the 2000 Eclipse standard infinity system.....

·
Registered
420 Posts
Got the 6 speaker system in mine.....sounds perfectly fine to me. I would guess that the responses of the system being below average, or not very good, is coming from the audiophiles on the board, whose standards are very high. Just a guess though.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
same speakers are in the 6-they suck major ass. first mod when i get money: new speakers

·
Registered
947 Posts
It's easy for those of us who have built competition audio systems to delcare any OEM system to be utter crap. I can name plenty things wrong with the stock system, but as an OEM system it is well above average.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Above average.. yes. Although I would have stuck a 6.5" from the factory and a rear tweeter as well.

Guess my Jetta really made me picky. The 8 speaker system in that was awesome... when powered by an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
You know who has a good system? 2004 Toyota Corollas. My friend has A 2004 Corolla S and it sounds great. Clear, clean sound and the bass is awesome.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The system is just about perfect for me. I listen to the radio on the way from point A to point B, and half the time on the way home from work I listen to the news. When the weather's nice and I'm out cruisin around or just runnin errands, I can crank it up nice and loud and its just fine.

I will add a subwoofer someday soon, but other things like tinting are higher on the priority list. And down the line I"ll probably update the speakers, maybe go component... who knows.. but the stock 6-Disc option is definately good enough for your "average" user.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I gotta agree w/ Lee on this one. The system is not JBL/Bose but is much better than the one in the Civic... Gotta love the steering wheel controls too!

·
Registered
162 Posts
vaBooM said:
Above average.. yes. Although I would have stuck a 6.5" from the factory and a rear tweeter as well.

Guess my Jetta really made me picky. The 8 speaker system in that was awesome... when powered by an aftermarket unit.
Vaboom, why don't you give us a three step upgrade that does not cost an arm and a leg...something, let's say, low profile as:

a) Change the factory speakers and add a tweeter on the back
b) A subwoofer (not one that will fill your trunk..something like a small bazzoka maybe)
c) a small amplifier just to add some mid bass)

any clues regarding price would be awesome...

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think the audio is plenty good... but once again, this is coming from the girl who only had 1 speaker in the last car.

You know, when you start at the bottom, it's not hard to satisfy.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
speedmaster said:
vaBooM said:

Vaboom, why don't you give us a three step upgrade that does not cost an arm and a leg...something, let's say, low profile as:

b) A subwoofer (not one that will fill your trunk..something like a small bazzoka maybe)

Thanks
Cost effective:

A) Infinity Reference 5x7 6800cs components up front ($160), Infinity Reference 5x7 6802cf coax in the rear ($80). The factory HU will supply ample amount of power for these and they will sound better and louder than stock. Cheapest I believe, with warranty is at www.sounddomain.com.

B) A single 12" driver, sealed, with 250~500w monoblock. An awesome driver for the money is the JL 12w0. I dont think you can buy JL online, but we carry it at www.cartoys.com for $120. As for monoblocks, I recommend the JBL Powervalve 300.1. Can be found at www.sounddomain.com for $140. Enclosure, will be up to you. Make sure you get exactly or a little bit bigger than what they recommend. Custom or pre-fab, cost would be up to you. A single 12", square or rectangular custom box would be around $100. A pre-fab is about $50 or so.

C) If you want to power the new speakers with an amp, I recommend JBL Power P80.4. It shells out 40w x 4 rms.. which is plenty for the Infinity speakers. Not only will it match the 300.1 monoblock, but they are cheap for the what your getting. This 4ch amp can be had for $170 @ www.sounddomain.com.

Everything listed above is from tried, true experience. This setup so happens, was in a Ford F250 Crewcab. It sounded awesome. Here is the break down:

Product only > $600 with a custom box, $550 with a pre-fab box. These prices dont include a LOC, wiring, or the 4ch.

Typical Install:

$125 for the front components
$65 for the rears
$65 for the monoblock

Total > $255

So say you dont get the 4ch and go with the custom box, wiring, and a LOC, you can make out with spending about $1k. If you wanted the 4ch, with install (install is $85 for a 4ch), I would add another $300~500 depending on if you wanted 4 gauge to be ran back and another set of RCAs and install.

For everything, say $1500. Not bad at all for an aftermarket, fully powered system. It would be louder, cleaner and sound a whole lot better than the factory without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
162 Posts
vaBooM said:
speedmaster said:
vaBooM said:

Thanks
Cost effective:

A) Infinity Reference 5x7 6800cs components up front ($160), Infinity Reference 5x7 6802cf coax in the rear ($80). The factory HU will supply ample amount of power for these and they will sound better and louder than stock. Cheapest I believe, with warranty is at www.sounddomain.com.

B) A single 12" driver, sealed, with 250~500w monoblock. An awesome driver for the money is the JL 12w0. I dont think you can buy JL online, but we carry it at www.cartoys.com for $120. As for monoblocks, I recommend the JBL Powervalve 300.1. Can be found at www.sounddomain.com for $140. Enclosure, will be up to you. Make sure you get exactly or a little bit bigger than what they recommend. Custom or pre-fab, cost would be up to you. A single 12", square or rectangular custom box would be around $100. A pre-fab is about $50 or so.

C) If you want to power the new speakers with an amp, I recommend JBL Power P80.4. It shells out 40w x 4 rms.. which is plenty for the Infinity speakers. Not only will it match the 300.1 monoblock, but they are cheap for the what your getting. This 4ch amp can be had for $170 @ www.sounddomain.com.

Everything listed above is from tried, true experience. This setup so happens, was in a Ford F250 Crewcab. It sounded awesome. Here is the break down:

Product only > $600 with a custom box, $550 with a pre-fab box. These prices dont include a LOC, wiring, or the 4ch.

Typical Install:

$125 for the front components
$65 for the rears
$65 for the monoblock

Total > $255

So say you dont get the 4ch and go with the custom box, wiring, and a LOC, you can make out with spending about $1k. If you wanted the 4ch, with install (install is $85 for a 4ch), I would add another $300~500 depending on if you wanted 4 gauge to be ran back and another set of RCAs and install.

For everything, say $1500. Not bad at all for an aftermarket, fully powered system. It would be louder, cleaner and sound a whole lot better than the factory without breaking the bank.
Thanks again Vaboom.... I will go as you say but still I don't want to eat all my trunk with a 12 inch + custom box. I've saw the sub installed in the jack compartment somewhere on this forum and I liked the idea. I will wait for the report on the sound quality to decide.

Man, too bad I'm not in Colorado otherwise you would be taking care of it.

Cheers !!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts